“Reliable good cuban food”

Columbia Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbia Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 1,071 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Cuban, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Family-owned and operated for over 112 years, Columbia has earned acclaim for its old-world charm and award-winning Spanish/Cuban cuisine and wine list. Casual attire is fine, but we don't allow sleeveless shirts on men. Join us for century-old family recipes like Paella "a la Valenciana," Filet Mignon "Columbia," and fresh seafood specialties. Don't miss Columbia's Original "1905" Salad(R), prepared tableside with our delicious, freshly-made dressing, a 100-year-old family recipe of fresh garlic, oregano, wine vinegar and Spanish extra virgin olive oil. Be sure to sample a fine Spanish wine like Torres, Montecillo or Campillo. Relax outdoors on our patio, or inside our Mediterranean-style dining rooms filled with hand-painted tiles and family heirlooms. We are a sister to the Columbia in Tampa's Ybor City, founded in 1905. Children's menu available. Open 365-days a year, including all holidays.
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We have eaten at Colombia in Tampa a few time and also I think a quick bite at the airport once. We really enjoy the cuban black bean soup over rice it is always very reliable. The salads are so-so, but I'm not a fan of iceberg and I find their dressing on the garlicky side. I tried the tomato and onion salad today with a cup of black bean soup. The salad seemed a bit over priced at $9. They advertise as "florida tomatoes" but I do wish they would be more specific as there is so much controversy and negative press about Florida tomatoes. Would be nice if they used some from a local farm (too much to ask for a establishment restaurant like Colombia?). Husband's crab cakes were just OK. Service is good, the setting and decor are very comfortable and nice to have the open air feel on Armand Circle.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,622)

Reviewed 5 December 2013

A fun spot in the center of St. Armand's Circle, large and crowded unless you go at an off time. Interesting menu - many things were unknown to us but we tried them anyway.
While I didn't love everything I tried I think it is a matter of finding out first exactly how "hot" the dish is. I have been there twice for lunch and both times the service was excellent and the food was interesting enough to go back.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

This place is hopping every day of the week. The paella and salads are unbelievable, as are the tapas. It is a festive crowd, and the service, even when crowded, is crisp and efficient. A great change of pace from the usual chain foods out there. Everything was fresh and not overly spicy or greasy, as is the stereotype with Latin American & Spanish food. Great people watching if you sit outside and watch the shoppers walk by. The price is very fair for the generous portions you receive. Authentic cuisine! I wished I lived in the area . . . I'd be there every weekend.

1  Thank whodunit29
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Everyone ends up at the Columbia. Great place to sip sangria and people watch. This is another Sarasota establishment that we take out of towners to. I almost always order the 1905 salad. It is made at your table and how it comes out depends on the person waiting your table. If they do it right it is wonderful. If they pour the dressing with a heavy hand you end up with limp soggy lettuce. The last time I was there the heavy hand was used, to bad. If you like your salad just kissed with dressing just tell them to go light with it. I also had the calamari which may be the best I have ever had. Fried to perfection tender and just perfect. I think this will become my favorite. The service as always was great.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The Columbia on St. Armands Circle is the best!! Must have their tablemade sangria......red or white are both divine. Also a must have is the 1905 salad....black beans & rice also delicious.....sauteado is terrific.....it is a must for me any time I am in FL! And this location is my favorite-dine outside and watch it all!