“Amazing!”

Ranked #371 of 1,148 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Colombian, Cuban
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Authentic Columbian restaurant! We pulled up and the place looks run down and we did not expect much, but wow the food was amazing. The best I have had in Florida.

1  Thank Marcos Melissa A

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I am new to the Sarasota area and was looking forward to a wonderful Cuban meal. What i received was a lackluster meal. Something I would expect at a American 'greasy spoon'. The rice and beans were dry and unflavored. I had a Cuban sandwish that was greasy with extremely tough beef. Too much mustard and mayo. Every bite the beef would slide off the bun. The flavor was not good either. I have been to many Cuban restaurants. This was the worst.
Service was good. Our waitress was friendly and spoke English. My friend had the tripe soup which she said was delicious. All in all this was not what I had hoped for. Very disappointed.
I checked my debit from my card and I was charged double: one charge stated $8.85 (accurate) the other was for $88.55 (inaccurate) Our server seemed to have an issue on the machine. When I asked her if everything was okay...she said, "sure sure no problem"...hmmm obviously there was a problem. I called back to starighten out the charge and no one was available to speak English! VERY DISAPPOINTING :(

Reviewed 25 March 2013

After a Google search for restaurants serving tripe dishes, I was directed to Mi Tierra, just beyond the edge of the downtown district. From the outside, the restaurant looks a bit like an old highway diner, but the inside contains mainly table seating on the order of an old-fashioned luncheonette. The menu is Colombian, so I went with a local beer, and promptly ordered the 'sopa mondongo'. I am a fan of Italian, Catalonian, and Chinese tripe dishes, but had no idea what the Colombian version would be like. This tripe soup, served with a side of rice, salad, and plantains, was chicken stock based and thickened with yucca and potato. Cilantro added a bit of brightness to the dish. I would certainly try this restaurant again to explore more of their local offerings.

1  Thank Islandman46
Reviewed 25 February 2012

As a former competitive award winning chef, I can't tell you how pleased I was to come upon this quaint little place. This is just a plain, old fashioned, good ol' Columbian home cookin' type restaurant.

LIke diners of old, it is fashioned out of a "trailer" type structure. Inside is nothing fancy, but filled with a decorative style you would come across in its country of origin. You are greeted y a friendly staff. English is their second language, so be sure if you have special requests, which they are more than willing to do, that you get your message across plainly.

Now, on to the food: I have been there 3 times. Each time I ordered from the "back page" of the menu where the dinner/lunch specialties are located. Most dishes are served with soup, plantains, white rice, your choice of two types of beans and salad. The main dish portions are literally falling off the plate as they are plentiful. The food is authentic, my guests and I each time, were bowled over by anything we ordered. There is a variety of fish, beef, chicken and pork. There is something for everyone here, even for those whom don't eat meat.

Remember that this is a family owned, laid back, type of restaurant. This is not the kind of place to go if you are in a rush to get in and out.

If you are looking for authentic Columbian/Cuban food, want to sit back and not be rushed, and overall have a wonderful experience, I can't recommend this little treasure of a well kept secret in Sarasota enough. For the type of restaurant that this is, it gets 5 stars from this chef.

1  Thank Taubchen
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Very good dishes, great plantains and black beans with pork. The prices are good as well. Service was a bit slow. But all considered it was good to eat there. Very flavorful food.