“There is nothing Cuban about this place!!”
Review of Cafe Havana

Cafe Havana
Ranked #387 of 1,144 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin
Description: Satisfy your hunger for Cuban food with the big, bold flavors of Cafe Havana. Cuban-born owner Alfonso Quintana is serving up scratch-made done-right with generous portions at affordable prices.
Reviewed 10 May 2013

There is nothing Cuban about this place and its food! We went there few days ago for some Cuban but unfortunatly we were very disapointed! Neighborhood looks intimidating, resturant is like a highway Diner, and food is inferior quality!
We will not go back or recomend it to anyone!!

1  Thank Advisor199

Reviewed 8 April 2013

I love cuban food and unfortunately the picking is rather slim on the southern side of Tampa bay. Seems most good cuban restaurants are in Tampa. Cafe Havana is my go-to when I'm near the no mans land that lies off old 301 beween Bradenton and Sarasota. The industrial neighborhood is off the beaten path but its well worth the side trip. the soups and cuban sandwiches are very good and are Tampa style authentic. Top notch cuban bread and roasted pork. The daily specials are also very good and I've tried most of them. Its unpretentious, reasonably priced and friendly.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

My husband and I love this restaurant. The atmosphere is comfortable and the owner and staff are very personable, makes you feel right at home.The coffee is the best we have had since moving from New Jersey. The food is flavorful and reasonably priced, and there is something on the menu for everyone, even for vegetarians. My husband loves the light touch on the beautiful grouper with rice and beans and perfectly cooked yuca. I had the pressed chicken sandwich with the potato strings on the sandwich (Just like Jersey!) and the garlic was just right. Our favorite place in Sarasota.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

My spouse is Cuban, and we miss the traditional Cuban breakfasts at La Caretta in Miami. We ate at the nice Pho restaurant in the same strip center along Washington just south of downtown, and saw Cafe Havana and decided to give it a try.
We were the only customers at 10am on a Saturday morning, so entered with a bit of trepidation. Not to worry, it was very good. Seems they do a pretty brisk take-out business........folks were ordering picadillo and other traditional Cuban specialties.
I needed my coffee, and the large Cafe con Leche was spot on, prepared perfectly........delicious with a good amount of espumita (foam from the sugar) floating to the top.
Eggs were done perfectly, sopped up by the very good Cuban bread. Not sure if they make this in house or order it from the Tampa bakery. We substituted croquettes instead of the ham or bacon.......they were the frozen kind, so were a bit disappointing, but still tasty.
The orange juice is fresh squeezed, and my wife said it was the best she ever had.
The young lady who took our order also did the cooking. Very pleasant, quick, and efficient.
I did not look at the lunch/dinner menu, but we will have to come back and give it a try.
Hoping they have my favorite, vaca frita.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Cuban sandwich was spot on and very reasonably priced, but the maduros were not quite ripe enough so they had a heavy starchy taste. Unfortunately, I question the health/cleanliness practices of the operation. The lady busing the tables was also the person making my sandwich and I never saw her wash her hands. Icky! For that reason alone I will not be returning. That's definitely a bummer as its hard to find a good quality Cuban sandwich.