“Must do”

Painting With a Twist
More attraction details
Owner description: Uncork your inner artist! Come enjoy an evening out with friends, have a date night, celebrate a special occasion, or come alone and meet new people! Bring your favorite wine, beer, soda, snacks, etc. and have a pARTy. We supply everything you need to complete your masterpiece, including a local artist. No Experience Required!
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was so much fun! I brought my mom for her birthday. Neither of us have any artistic abilities and we were both very happy with our work! Our instructor was Dan and he led the class at a great pace! The class was all different ages and everyone had a great time! Definitely a must do :)

Sheri P, Owner at Painting With a Twist, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Happy Birthday to your mom! We're so glad you guys had a great time. Thank you!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My sister and I were given this class as a present. Neither of us has ever had a painting class in school or had ever painted with acrylics. (My sister has been painting in watercolor for about a year.) While my sister has a good eye for perspective, I cannot draw at all. But this class was perfect for both of us.

I was looking for a picture to hang in a newly remodeled room with black walls, and didn't find exactly what I wanted in the scheduled classes listed online. So we called and were allowed to come to the studio and pick from their entire collection. The only limit was that it be a picture where they could get enough people to sign up, since ours was not going to be a private class.

The choices were many, and I selected a bird of paradise that is one of the more difficult pictures and takes three hours. So we set up a date on their calendar. Turned out that we had 8 sign up, with skills ranging from total beginner to having some experience.

We could bring our own food and drinks to enjoy before and during the session. Some do this as a party outing for their group, but everyone in our class was intent on learning more about painting with acrylics. And away we went, with music in the background to make it a totally fun adventure.

Dan, our instructor, was excellent. He gears his teaching to the mood of the group, whether partiers or intent painters, and paced the instructions to be able to complete the picture in the allotted time (generally 1-3 hours). In fact, it took us 3 1/2 hours to complete our paintings because of the level of difficulty.

We were provided with an easel, aprons, paint brushes, water for rinsing the brushes, a rag, and plenty of paint. Then Dan went to work. He started by giving us an overview of the method we would use and then we got down to work. (All work should be this much fun!) His instructions were thorough and at a pace that enabled everyone to be successful. He would demonstrate each step and then let us complete that piece, providing individual help whenever requested. He covered how to mix the paints, use the brushes, draw the design, and use the paints to achieve the desired effects.

We took breaks in between the "layers" to dry the canvas, and Dan circulated around giving us pointers. While he is an accomplished artist, he has a fun attitude about painting that made the class very enjoyable. And we learned so much from him!

We had total freedom to adapt the painting however we wanted, in both style and color, from the original. Because my sister and I live together and would be hanging both pictures in the same house, and because I wanted a particular style for my black room, I took off on my own, varying greatly from the original. My sister's painting looked much like the original. You can see the differences in the final pictures I've included.

In the end, everyone's paintings were awesome and different. One painter used more yellow, another brought her own easel and a different size canvas. Dan accommodates each person's preferences, providing additional paint when needed and as much help as each painter wants.

This was a great experience, and one I would recommend for anyone interested in either a fun party or in gaining a better knowledge of how to paint with acrylics. At $35 per person, it was a great value for the amount of time we spent and all we learned. What a great gift!

Thank you so much coming and taking time to write this review! We hope to see you and your sister again soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We wanted to try something new for a girls day out and had a great time at Painting With a Twist. A little wine, some snacks, great company and Connie as an enthusiastic, humorous and knowledgeable instructor made for a memorable, fun afternoon!

Thank you so much for sharing your afternoon with us!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

What a fun way to spend an afternoon - painting in a casual environment with a fantastic instructor (Connie). She patiently explained all the steps, played a game , joked around and created a party-like atmosphere where we let our creativity flow (and we got to bring home our paintings). Loved it!!

Sheri P, Owner at Painting With a Twist, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you so much for spending time with us!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Wow! What a great time we had. Definitely a great way to party with friends/fam. We laughed, sipped our fave drinks, sang and danced to the greatest jams, and painted with our wild imaginations. But of course, we had the best instructor Connie who rocked the painting party. Very comfortable atmosphere to have fun and let loose, especially on a private group party like we had. I definitely will come back and I would so recommend this to everyone. You won't be disappointed. You will be amazed when you see your white canvas turned into life for your finish art work. Try it!

Thank you for the review, we posted it on our Facebook page. Come back and pARTy with us again soon.