“Good, fresh food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #188 of 1,026 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids, Groups
Description: The Grasshopper Lounge opened it's doors in 1971 by owners Jesse and Cleo Rosales in Downtown Adrian, Michigan. There my family acquired the other half of the structure and "El Chapulin the Tex Mex Restaurant" was launched. Still in business and operated by our entire family, we have since opened a second location in Wauseon, Ohio and our third in Sarasota, Florida. Grandma's secret: prepare everything in small batches, so we never jeopardize the art form of our food.
FL
“Good, fresh food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My family enjoyed our dinner here. Nice, mexican atmosphere! The server promptly brought chips and salsa. The only low point was the margarita....I ordered a regular, on the rocks. The glass arrived filled to the brim with ice, and the drink was super weak. Probably the worst margarita I've had in years. If I go again, I guess I'll stick to Corona. The rest of the meal was delicious. I had the shrimp tacos, and they were super tasty. The rest of the family had burritos and quesadillas....very good. The Grasshopper serves better rice than most Mexican places, but the beans are nothing special. Overall, a very good meal at a good price.

arverne
“Something different”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly happy with the choice we made to eat here tonite. Unsure of what to pick I choose the a chalupa a fish taco and a shrimp taco.Everything was fresh and delicious.

Visited July 2014
USA
“Great place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Visitedwhile car was being serviced at Wilde Honda (2 doors south... E side of US41/Tamiami Trail).
About 3pm so not busy; had lunch people... staff was great... food was great... (got the pequeno plate with sautéed pork... comes with beans/rice/flour tortillas... YUMMY!)
Will be back. Apparently they have Margarita Monday and Happy Hour (dubbed "Fiesta Hour," of course!) everyday 4-7pm.
iOle!

Eighty Four, Pennsylvania
“Grasshopper service, food and beer selection are great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have visited the Grasshopper-El Chapulin several times and each visit has been a great one. The Tex-Mex food is great and reasonably priced. The beer selection is very good and the service at the bar from Bianca is fantastic!

Brookville, Ohio
“Best Mexican in Sarasota”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Everything was great besides the free salsa and chips they brought upon first arriving. The salsa was too watery and the mild was very bland. However, every other item couldn't have been better. We happened to go on a Monday and the 3$ margaritas on Mondays were great. I only tried the original I can't comment on the 4 other flavors (maui, strawberry, peach, and raspberry). I had three enchiladas all ground beef topped with their meat sauce and they were done perfectly. The meat sauce was top notch and full of flavor, I normally don't like corn tortillas at all, but our server recommended them saying they were different than typical corn tortillas here and he was right! Very good. The rice and beans were also great. They were the best refried beans I've ever eaten. My fiance had the combination platter with pork and loved it. I'll definitely go back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles