“Decent Experience”
Review of Lido Islander

Lido Islander
Ranked #38 of 50 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Lido Islander for three nights in an upstairs suite.

The location was excellent; just a few blocks off the St. Armands Circle and the shops and restaurants located there and a relatively short drive from downtown Sarasota and a convenient drive to the rest of Sarasota's attractions. Parking at the Lido Islander wasn't bad, though one night we couldn't fit our minivan into one of the parking slots one night, but could park out on the gravel by the street without a problem. Lido Beach is simply a jog down one of the adjoining streets with a lot of public parking. We drove down and watched the sunset one night and it was well worth it with little trouble.

The suite itself was attractive. The stairs were hard on my wife's knees, but bareable. We checked in by picking up the key in the box outside the suites. The kitchen was small and the appliances decent (though the fridge was a bit elderly and had no ice trays or ice maker). The sofa in our suite would have been comfortable except for the fact that it was a bit sway-backed (i.e., the central supports under the cushions have obviously either been broken or bent and you sink down severely). The chair was badly in need of new cushions, which would be a cheap fix. The mattress in the king bed was actually pretty comfortable. The ceiling fans in the living room and the bedroom were a welcome addition, since it seems that the air conditioner was laboring under the early August Florida weather. There was plenty of hot water for showers. The TVs were pretty good, though the channel listing left for us was obviously for a higher-end able package, since a number of channels weren't available.

The bathroom was serviceable, with a hair dryer provided. The soaps provided were literally smaller than a York peppermint patty, so we bought our own at a local supermarket. Shampoos were provided, but they were also in foil packs, so we provided our own. The bathtub was rather old, but clean enough with a decent shower head (that could use some decalcifying) and there was a rather large rust stain next to the drain that didn't affect anything but could be cleaned. The towels provided were nice. There is no daily replacement of towels or other supplies, though you can simply go downstairs to a cupboard that holds toilet tissue and towels, among other things if needed.

We needed to do some laundry (having been at a conference earlier in the week), but the day we tried, the communal washer and dryer were full of sheets, towels and clearing supplies from the morning's cleaning. Apparently whomever was working that morning simply left everything there. We got by, but it was an inconvenience we hadn't expected. Yes, we could have pulled everything out and dumped it somewhere, but that wouldn't have been appropriate.

Other than doors closing, there was fairly little noise, though our first morning found us awaking to the dulcet tones of a weedwhacker and a mower; another night had an odd mechanical noise we never could identify that kept my wife up part of the night. Our suite's jalousie windows were basically OK, though one of them wouldn't close all the way, meaning the A/C was leaking out a bit, but not enough to cause much of a problem. The door to our suite wasn't exactly the best fitting I've ever seen, leaking a lot of light from the shared foyer with the other suite on our end of the 2nd floor. Again, not that much of a problem in the long run, but cosmetically a little problematic. The view from our suite's windows was basically of banana tree leaves, pines and palms. Very peaceful.

Overall, a good and fairly reasonable experience. IF they'd fix the issues with the furniture, get a newer fridge with an icemaker and modernize the bathroom a little bit, it'd really be a wonderful deal.

Room Tip: IF you have physical issues, avoid the 2nd-floor suites as the stairs are steep.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CheckMan

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Went here with 2 adults and 4 children. Was a very clean condo close to the beach. Very nice people own it. The only negative is that there is not enough parking. A few times we had to wait for visitors to leave in order to get a parking space. Stayed here 5 nights. Was one of my favorite places ever.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The place certainly is unique. No desk or anything, but it wasn't needed. Just pick letter with room number up in a mailbox. Problem was mailbox was on 2nd floor. I had requeasted 1st floor room. My husband and I both have medical issues which made going upstairs difficult.. Our room? 2nd floor. Well, with the help of another guest, we were able to get things up stairs. The poor woman who helped us, fell down about 4 steps on her back. She also hit her head. Note, steps are extremely slippery when wet. The room was really cute. And really small. We didn't mind the size, since we are local and were only there overnite for friends' wedding. Main problem came, when I attempted to get into the bed, I honestly couldn't. I'm very short, and the bed actually came up to my chest. Plus due to a leg problem, can't exactly jump. But we managed, with my husband's help. Minor issue is no reading light, which would be nice. Major problem was parking situation. Absolutely, had alot more cars than rooms. I didn't get towed so that was ok. Good thing I had couple drinks and was mellowed out, so not much bothered me. If I need to stay on Lido for any reason, wouldn't hesitate to book there again. Just would go directly thru place itself rather than online booking agency. Just a suggestion, if all beds are that high, little stool would have been great, and maybe a sign making people aware how slippery steps are.

Room Tip: see my suggestions above. Place is great.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Binglese
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My Wife and I stayed here on Wednesday, June 25, 2014. On the down side, like many older establishments, the walls were thin in our guest room. If there are kids around, which there were, you might want to adjust the romance accordingly.

On the plus side, the room that we had was SPOTLESS! The Queen Bed and pillows were very comfortable. We rented the small room as we were not planning on being in it too much and we found they packed a lot in a little space. We did not see the owners, but a binder with the "Best Of's" in the area was put together by them (Way better than the usual paid advertisements) and their phone numbers with the promise of 24 hour contact if needed was emphasized. Rules had quiet hours from 11pm-7am and even the kids next door had no problem following this. Best part for us was the short walk to Lido Beach. It is legal to have alcohol on Sarasota County Beaches (please, no glass) which makes for some wonderful sunsets! This Inn is nestled in a VERY EXCLUSIVE neighborhood with multi-million dollar homes surrounding it.
This Inn may not be the "Ritz Carlton", but If you don't think you are getting a good deal, ask anyone on the beach what they are paying. We will be back and stay longer!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Room was nice and clean . But , parking is AWEFUL . Hardly any room to park when other guests are there . And property is messy .Rooms are close together and noise carries far easily . I was hot the entire time I was there . And there is no front desk person , you check your self in and if you have problems you have a phone number to call . I think the worst part was getting awoken at 8 am to hammering in the room next door . Stayed there for my brothers wedding . Next time I will just stay in a REAL hotel . Will be cheaper and a better experience

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Brittany D
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This property has an excellent location and I could not help but notice that there had been some updating in the suite. Someone had done a great job of decorating and updating the suite but the problem is that the maintenance (housekeeping) has done a poor job of keeping the property maintained. It's a shame to see the hard work of refurbishing the property go to waste. There was a missing door handle on the microwave, the bathtub needed maintenance and the windows were not secure. The window screens needed to be replaced. The other con is that the housekeepers do some of their prepping right outside the rooms. This becomes noisy. If these problems were addressed and rectified this would be a great property!!!!

Room Tip: I had a 2-bedroom suite that was on the bottom floor. If you stay I highly recommend this suite.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Lidoislander, Owner at Lido Islander, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful location and the decor of the room. We are sorry to hear about the issues in your room, those maintenance issues are being corrected.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Lido Islander was the perfect place to stay! When you first pull up, you may be a bit skeptical as we were...but once we walked into our room- we were pleasantly surprised. We were in the one bedroom condo which includes a king size bed, bathroom, full kitchen, living room, and dining area. This was just the amount of space we were looking for and location. All of the rooms were clean and organized and comfortable.
The room was just as it is shown in the pictures and the host (Dan) and staff (Susan and Nikki) were always available to help answer questions and give tips. They even have chairs, toys, and other beach items to enjoy during your stay. Also, they a super cute area where you can relax under the palm trees and beautiful flowers to read a book, enjoy some coffee, or grill.

Just as described, Lido Islander is located in a fabulous neighborhood and was a short walk to the beach and to St. Armand's Circle (about a 7 min walk). Fabulous restaurants were so close- no need to drive (unless you are wearing heels!). We did rent a car at the airport, (Chevy Spark- I mention because it only cost us $7.87 to fill- we only used two gallons of gas!)- anyways, renting a car at the airport (25 min away) was a great idea because we were able to go to the grocery store (10 min away), Botanical Gardens (12 min away) and we drove down to Siesta Keys (25 min away).

Overall, our experience with Lido Islander was excellent and look forward to going back.

Lido Islander One Bedroom Suite Pictures: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2400818?fb_action_ids=10203777040167939&fb_action_types=airbedandbreakfast%3Abook

Room Tip: Some suggestions for future visitors: We were on the second floor which eliminated us from hearing c...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple