“Fun, Friendly & Fascinating!”
Review of Siesta Key Rum

Siesta Key Rum
Ranked #1 of 12 Food & Drink in Sarasota
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: At our Sarasota, Florida distillery our spirits are hand-crafted from start to finish in small batches using only the finest ingredients and hands-on distillation in a copper pot still. Our distillery is open for free tours and tastings. You must pre-register on our website or by phone to attend tours. Our gift shop/tasting room is open Tuesday through Saturday from 12 to 5.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My brother, visiting from CT, and I, who live here full time, made an afternoon visit to Drum Circle Distillers, makers of Siesta Key Rum. We're big supporters of local merchants wherever we go, and he particularly wanted to learn more about this artisan operation. For my part, I had enjoyed DCD's Siesta Key Spiced Rum in the past, but had been unable to prevail upon my sibling to try it up until then (spiced rum is one of his favorites) because he had a preferred maker of his own. Tucked away in an unlikely corner of Sarasota, we finally found the place hidden in a row of warehouses, and our scheduled tour had already started, under the personable tutelage of the distillery's founder, Troy Roberts. I LIKE rum, but I'm not much of a drinker, so I really didn't expect much out of the tour for myself. I was wrong. I had NO IDEA how much time, knowledge, engineering, planning, artistry, investment, creativity, experimentation, and meticulous attention to detail went into producing a good rum, and the tour was both fun and fascinating. We even got to taste "raw" rum, before it is blended with flavors (and SKR uses only natural flavoring) and put through multiple distillations, resulting in their sinfully smooth flagship, Siesta Key Spiced Rum. The difference between the two REALLY made us appreciate what expertise is required to make a fine rum! Troy and his crew are clearly passionate about their product, and it shows in every respect -- the spotless cleanliness and orderliness of the place, the demeanor of its workers, and the wonderful product of their work. We even got to learn where luck and the way the sun comes up at their location played a role in their success, and quite a success it is. The rum is award-winning, and my brother is now a convert. His only disappointment in the entire experience is that he found that the only distributor near his home in CT is about an hour's drive away. I suspect he's still going to secure a bottle or two of his own -- the one we bought at the end of the tour didn't even last the remaining two weeks of his visit!

If you are visiting Sarasota and have had enough sun, or find yourself here on a rare rainy day, call Circle Drum Distillers and set up a tour. It's worth it, and like us, you'll probably find yourself bringing home a bottle of that splendid spiced rum they make, and looking for a local retailer yourself.

1  Thank AubeO

Reviewed 19 April 2014

The tour was not only fun but very interesting and informative. Not to mention the rums are great also. If you have a chance i would definitely recommend you take the tour.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

What a wonderful experience learning about the Siesta Key Rum. The folks were great with the rum tasting, explaining the process and the different flavors. I highly recommend the visit. Got my shirt, got my special bottle of rum and now I know how it became a #1 winner.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We just love the spiced rum and have consumed several bottles since our visit. Tried it mixed with Vernor's ginger ale. So much better than coke. Brought several bottles home to Illinois.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

wow,where do i start. to have a rum distillery that opens in your backyard is amazing. i live just around the corner from this place. i have been taking friends and relatives when they come to visit to take a tour of this place. ask about a tour ahead of time.very educational. also,they have a tasting room and also great silvenours. ok, i didnt spell that right,but you understand.