“Sarasota's BEST Greek food!”

Opa! Opa! Authentic Greek Restaurant
Ranked #124 of 1,054 Restaurants in Sarasota
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Welcome to OPA! OPA!, Where we provide an authentic Greek dining experience and treat our guests like family! We are a family run Greek restaurant that opened its doors in 2013 and serves the Gulf Gate area of Sarasota, FL and beyond. When you walk in our restaurant, you will immediately feel the warmth and family atmosphere we have created. We pride ourselves on serving only high quality, homemade, and fresh food. We truly care about our guests and know them on a first name basis; many have become like family to us. Our cozy restaurant is run by a husband and wife team, along with a few trusted and valued employees. Michele oversees the front of the restaurant, while Yanni doubles as our Executive Chef and brings over 20 years of experience to our business. Many of our recipes are straight from his mother's village in Peloponnese, Greece. We offer a wide variety of traditional Greek cuisine and a collection of Greek wines you are sure to love! All of our meals are made-to-order by Yanni himself and will surely leave you feeling satisfied. Our goal is to serve our guests a meal "just like Yiyia used to make" and for you to leave here feeling like part of our family. You can dine in or carry out; let our family serve your family! Your Hosts, Michele and Yanni Haralampopoulos
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Not since the Greek Festival in February have we found the excellent flavors and taste of Greek food on the Sun Coast. My wife so enjoyed the lamb shank, tender and cooked to perfection. I went with a large Pita Bread Greek Salad. (yes still battling the diet) I only had on piece of the pita. The salad was fresh and hit the spot. The choice of a glass of Greek Wine was excellent. I did try the side dish of Green Beans and was surprised, a nice touch. We will return and hopefully the next time the Air Conditioning will be running quietly to help with the warmth from the late afternoon sun.

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

It sure was a pleasant surprise to find this Greek restaurant on Superior St. I had lamb and it was delicious, my husband ordered 2 entrees because he just couldn't make up his mind. Spinach pie, and the shrimp. We also had the grilled octopus and of course the Flaming cheese appetizer. Good choices. Salad and soup was good too. Ok, I know, we're pigs. I am going back here, yay finally some good Greek food. The only thing I would ask is that they splurge a little and buy a new toilet seat for the bathroom. That thing looks like it's suffered some hard times.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

OK, corny, but definitely worth jumping through hoops for. The real deal Greek with great food, service, and atmosphere.............the true diner's triumvirate.

Very nicely decorated with an open kitchen. Friendly owner who greets you when you walk in. Friendly waitress that seats you and takes drink orders right away.............and a full Greek menu from appetizer and main course dinner specials, to traditional Greek meals, to gyros and a few kids specials. And, a nice addition to Gulf Gate restaurants.
When we try out a new Greek restaurant we always try the gyros first, as this is our key to a "keeper" or not. We tried, them, and they were terrific. I forgot to mention.......when they bring the drinks, they also bring hot homemade pita bread. Steamy, seasoned with just a touch of oregeno.........absolutely delicious. And, these certainly make a homemade gyro special. These are very large, stuffed with delicious thin sliced rotisserie lamb, with a very good tzatziki sauce and tomatoes and onions. No lettuce as some Greek places try to stuff theirs with. Just excellent lamb, sauce, tomatoes, and onions...........did I mention the pita is the best I have ever had.
Many other dishes to try next time. The lamb shanks looked great..............and, a bargain at $11. And, of course a nice greek salad..................or perhaps one of the many fish dishes.

Looking forward to coming back...............and, they have several nice desserts.

1  Thank Dan B
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is the real deal --- great atmosphere, friendly service, and (most importantly) incredible food!! We had the best Greek meal in a restaurant that I can remember. Started with saganaki and octopus, then we had fresh whole red snapper that was marinated and grilled, lamb chops, pasititsio, 1/2 roasted chicken, avgolemono soup, galatobouriko, boutari wine. Everything was absolutely top notch.

I am not kidding -- I have no problem writing about stuff when it is bad. This was not. It was AWESOME.

Thank you, Trip Advisor.....you steered us to a new find....a local treasure -- and we will be back there in a few days (...after I enjoy some leftovers!)

1  Thank Potamia
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Every meal at Opa Opa has been delicious. The portions are generous; atmosphere welcoming; owners are friendly. And, did I say they have the BEST octopus!

1  Thank Joyce K