“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Host Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Golden Host Resort
Ranked #43 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
Ontario
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2008

I had done much research in booking hotels for my husband, son and new dgtr-in-law on our trip to Florida. I was expecting a modest hotel, clean and functional for going to the local beaches for 3 days.
DON"T take the cheapest rooms as they are in the motel seperate section and our rooms stunk of sewage and ammonia. We were told it was because of the water used in the irrigation system that day. Since it was evening we did not want to start looking for another suitable hotel as it was the beginning of spring-break.
The staff (Linda) was very apolegetic and gave us rooms overlooking the garden (for $20/rm. each more). These were clean and suitable.
However, our vanity sink backed up the first night and for the 2nd night they were unable to fix it so again they moved us to another similar room.
The breakfast was a basic continental ho-hum one but the eating area and gardens were well-maintained. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2008

I booked at this hotel based on the price and some positive reviews. The room was clean enough for what it is. It had very poor sound-proof walls and I could hear everything in the next room, even normal conversation (have stayed in a fair number of discount hotels/motels but never had noises this bad). Our tv remote was broke but the staff was not helpful at all.

All in all, if you bring ear plugs and get booked into one of the rooms that faced the pool, then it might be okay. Otherwise it's not worth it.

• Liked — Can't say
  • Disliked — Noisy and a front desk staff who reeked of smoke
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Sarasota hotels

Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2007

I very often read TripAdvisor reviews when booking hotels, but in this case we just rolled in off the street... And I couldn't be happier that we did.

The previous night we had paid a lot of money to stay in a chi-chi place that was boring as hell, and where the service staff were snotty. At the Golden Host, the desk gal (Linda) was awesome...Very friendly, helpful, and committed to making our stay a good one.

I travel a lot (from high-end resorts to roadside motels), and I am very picky about the basics: cleanliness, comfort, and "the little details." For an older place, the rooms we saw (we were given our choice to select from) were spotlessly clean and well-maintained. The grounds of the hotel were gorgeous, and I loved the fact the each room had either a patio or a balcony. I'd recommend staying in the "north" building, as the rooms there seemed to have better patios, balconies, etc.

I've now read the other reviews noticing sanitation and pest issues, but we saw absolutely NO SIGN of anything like that... Our room was cleaner than most "better" major chains! To me this place seemed like a rare example of an older motel kept in great shape. Maybe it's different in the summer months...who can say?

And yes... There is a cool tiki bar ON THE PROPERTY. My god, what else do you need?? We'll be back, for sure.

• Liked — Clean room, gorgeous gardens, Bahi Hut Tiki Bar!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaisyPup
Cambridge, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2007

During our tour around Florida we book the four of us into this hotel for two nights. The receptionist was not very talkative at all which was unusual, as up to this point we had only met pleasant people.

Our room had a dreadful smell in it, very musty. Several lightbulbs were burnt out. The wall paper was peeling off the walls and the whole room looked negelected.

The pool outside was a nice shade of green!

We also ordered a rollaway bed and had to ring the front desk four times before this was delivered.

The final straw was the roaches in the light above the shower and crawling all over the counter top in the bathroom.

We put our bags back in the car as my wife and daughter refused to stay there any longer. The only plus point was that all our money was refunded immediatly.

• Liked — Nothing I'm afraid to say
  • Disliked — So many to choose from but the insects in the bathroom made us move out
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank SkaroTrips
srq_hotel, Manager at Golden Host Resort, responded to this review, 28 November 2007
We are disappointed that this review has been posted nearly 2 years after the guests visited in March 2006. Since then, The Golden Host Resort has undergone major, property-wide renovations including installation of new bathrooms, guestroom furniture, carpeting, painting and other significant improvements to maximize guest comfort.

Additionally, The Golden Host Resort (previously Best Western Golden Host Resort) is currently being operated under new management and staff.

We feel confident that our guests will be completely satisfied with our new and improved accomodations.

Management Team
Golden Host Resort
4675 N. Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL 34234
941-355-5141

Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2007

My family and I found the Golden Host Resort to be a nice, comfortable place to stay while visiting Sarasota. We had a great room which opened up to the swimming pool. Location was perfect and allowed us to be located near all the tourist attractions.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
sarasota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2007

We checked out our room at the Best Western Golden Host Resort it was by far a million times better than any room we checked out before. We had previously looked at 10 other properties in the same area. The price was a little more than we wanted to spend. We mentioned this to the front desk clerk and he without hesitation dropped the price for us. This beautiful property is quiet. The pool was fantastic. All the employees are the very definition of polite customer service. This resort absolutely has it all, without the high price tag usually associated with this caliber resort. Our many thanks to the Golden Host Resort located 4675 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34234. Local phone (941) 355-5141. We had a wicked great time staying with you. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Glendale, AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2007

I checked-in on Friday evening, March 2.

I was in town to run the Sarasota Marathon. Strategically speaking, it's a great location for marathoners because it's so close to the event.

I got in bed Friday evening. I forgot to turn the bathroom light out. When returning to bed I discovered a HUGE brown spot smack-dab in the middle of my bed! I look down on my legs and I have flakes of this stuff on me!

Rushed to the shower to get it off.

Rushed to the office and dragged this very nice lady back to my room. She told me that it was not human waste. It was BLOOD!

Immediately, she called housekeeping. I jumped on the phone with Hotwire and they assisted me by allowing me to find a new property and they'd pay the difference from my original fees.

I phoned the Golden Host multiple times. They did validate with Hotwire that it was blood.

HOWEVER...it's been nearly a month and they have NEVER contacted me personally to apologize. I have left several voice messages with the owner of the Golden Host and he had not replied.

I have contacted the Board of Health and other branches of FL governement about this.

How could a maid have overlooked this?

• Stayed March 2007, travelled solo