“no night manager and no breakfast”
Review of Golden Host Resort

Golden Host Resort
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was told, when I checked in, that no one was on duty between 11 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Fine, I thought. In the middle of the night I was awake and hungry, and decided to nip downstairs to the vending machine. I took my key, of course, but when I got back to the room the key did not work! I was in my pyjamas and bare feet. I had to walk 1.5 blocks up the highway to the next motel, to ask THEIR night manager (at 4:00 a.m.) to call the number posted on the door for MY hotel. When the woman showed up to let me in, she was irritable, and accused me of "deactivating" my key.

Anyway, I got back in my room. Next morning I showed up for the continental breakfast--"with waffles," the desk clerk had said--at 7:02. Came back at 7:15 and 7:28, and the place was locked and deserted. No breakfast for me, obviously the price I paid for waking the off-duty desk clerk and making her drive to the hotel to let me in to my room. And I guess I was the only guest in the motel.

The lessons learned are: why don't they just use mechanical keys? These magnetic keys OFTEN don't work. And second, they really need to have someone on the premises at night.

Room Tip: The room itself was fine. The pool is large, and looks good for swimming laps--one reason I chose t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Alison M

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I payed cash and they still charged account. I called to resolve the lady was rude and hung up on me. I had to put in a claim w/my bank to refut the bill. BEWARE !!!! Dont give them your card if your paying cash they will charge and tell u its not their problem you have to fix it. I will not go bck jst cause how rude and i feel like i have been stole from while they smiled in my face. Rooms r big but stink and your lucky if the fridge and or ac works. Pool wasnt cleaned and we payed extra for a pool room. I recomend going somewhere else

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank tabi1980
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Reservations were made with confirmation number in hand, so we left Tampa and headed to Sarasota. Upon arriving at this MOTEL (this establishment is a far cry from anything resembling a RESORT) to check in we were informed that they did not have a reservation for us. We booked directly with the property via a phone call but yet we were informed that due to a "computer glitch" they must have lost the reservation.

They were sold out with no rooms available due to a soccer tournament. We soon found out when desperately searching for a room because the desk clerk "Iesha" did nothing and I do mean literally nothing to help relocate us, that all the hotels in the area were sold out.

After 90 minutes of internet searches, phone calls and drive-by's, we finally found a room in Siesta Key for $100 above the quoted rate at Golden Host. We went back to speak face-to-face with Iesha and demand that they cover the cost difference - keep in mind the manager had supposedly just left 30 minutes prior to our initial arrival but had been notified of the situation and would be contacting us immediately.... over 90 minutes later and still nothing from "The Manager".
Iesah refused to cover the cost difference or do anything to help provide us with a room in Sarasota. She refused to give us any contact name or phone number of "The Manager", but assured us he would be making contact with us as soon as he was "available". Needless to say, 72 hours later and counting, we've not heard a peep from anyone.
If you are going to RISK staying here, have a "Plan B" in place as their computers seem to crash on a regular basis.....

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cindy W
Reviewed 26 April 2014

made reservations and had confirmation. They lost reservation saying they had a computer clich. We were told by Isha working the desk, she would have manager call us as no rooms were available anywhere nearby. We never recieved a call back and Isha was not helpful at all. We live 4 hours away. I would NOT recommend this hotel as they have no concern of thier customers and after reading reviews here I see this is not the first computer "clich" as someone else posted this same experience in March. We were not ever offered a free stay at a later date or help finding another hotel. I recommend it be taken off online booking sites because comf number means nothing.

Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank monakey
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The hotel itself does not look like it has been remodeled since the 1960s. The pool was green with algae. In our first room, the air conditioner did not work, and the TV would turn on but would not change channels. I asked to be switched to another room - this took a while as the desk clerk had to contact the owner to get permission to move us. When we finally got a new room, the AC and TV worked but the toilet ran constantly and would not flush. The entire place had the air of having been maintained by Sanford and Son. The continental breakfast consisted of sliced bread, miniature danish, orange juice (not fresh) and coffee. The vending machines were empty. The only saving grace was the adjacent Bahi Hut bar, where they make the best Mai Tai that I have ever tried. Stay somewhere else but definite visit the Bahi Hut.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Gene J
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed on 3-14-2014. The exterior of the hotel looked okay so we decided to take a chance on it. I will NEVER EVER rent a room without first checking with tripadvisor. The room has never been updated since it was built (probably sometime in the early 1900's). Same plumbing, electrical, carpet & paint. When we walked in the room it had a bad smell which we tried to air out by opening the sliding glass door. It did not help at all! This hotel is way over priced.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karla W
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Had a confirmed reservation for a busy weekend. I show up and the manager has "lost" it. She gives some half-baked story how her system crashed, so she sold the rooms my friend and I reserved; and there were no rooms left. Strongly suspect the rooms were resold at a much higher rate than my reservation. She was completely unhelpful after that.

Will not recommend such an establishment. Take your business elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends