“The Bahi Hut saves this hotel gone to seed”
Review of Golden Host Resort

Golden Host Resort
Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed 9 May 2010

We took this hotel for one night before picking up a bare boat charter. The hotel's seen better days and could really do with a complete overhaul. Having said that its big advantage is being stumbling distance of the Bahi Hut cocktail lounge that serves the meanest Mai Tai in town. The pool and surroundings are really quite nice but the low level of maintenance is a general problem - our toilet flush packed up and don't bother fiddling with the lock on the patio doors - you unlock them by removing the improvised horizontal bar hiddeden behind the curtain! Having said all that its in a good location, for restaurants and we slept really well after the Mai Tai!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 April 2010

I loved staying at the Golden Host Resort. The front desk staff were wonderful and consistently went out of their way to make sure all my needs were met for a very enjoyable stay.
Stay at the Golden Host Resort provided me with an old-time Florida experience with roomy accommodations, windows that open to enjoy the warm gentle breezes, and an all around relaxing experience. I'll definitely tell my friends and family about it & will be back again myself.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Booked room one night prior to arrival. Only place that was available at a good low price. Very dingy appearance, No TV changer, one low roll of toliet tissue, towels and face cloths dingy, blanket thread bare, no coffee maker or any extras at all ! The bath tub actually had some kind of peeling paint coming off in sheets, tub did not drain for several hours after a shower. Lamp shade missing on over bed lamp, with bare bulb. Couldn't wait until check out next morning.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ginger074maryland
Reviewed 18 March 2010

the room smelled funny- asked for a 1st floor and she gave me 2nd when there were alot of 1st floors open, I had a baby and lots of luggage, her comment to me was "I have twins and I have to carry twice as much when I go anywhere." wireless internet was not free, it cost $5.95 for 24 hrs.
we just did not like this hotel at all-

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank daysfan05
Reviewed 22 December 2009

My husband and I were on our Honey moon. I reserved the room through travelnow.com. When we arrived we asked if we could have a downstairs room, the front desk lady said they were all being renovated! We got there late on Friday evening, didnt pay much attention to the room because we had reservations at a spa. When we got back to our room the TV didnt work. Called the front desk, she sent up a maintenance man who said sorry, he didnt know what was wrong with it. The sign out front a long with there web page said they have wifi internet access.....then they tried to tell me it was going to be 6.99 for 24 hours. Ok so then they say they have breakfast....woke up the next morning....no breakfast. She said we had to go to their sister hotel down the road! Web page says they have a heated pool in the cooler months....it is December...the pool was freezing! I asked for a refund and she refused to give me my money back! I tried explaining that every thing they advertise is a lie and we would not have stayed here if we would have known they didnt have internet service, breakfast, and a cold pool! We left after staying 1 night, had reservations and paid for 2 nights, didnt get any kind of refund! I called travelnow.com, they said they couldnt give me a refund because they had already processed the check for the Golden Host Resort! I was so dissatisfied and unhappy that we had to spend our honey moon here and had to leave a day early! When I went to check out, the desk clerk was checking in another party and asked them if they wanted a ground floor room......hmm i thought they were all being renovated! I will never go back to this place! This is not a RESORT...it is a run down MOTEL! They really need to change their name and their web page!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rhonda25lv
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Prior to coming to the Golden Host I was very concerned about the prior reviews. Upon arriving I felt much more relieved. We checked in early without a problem, Front desk was very pleasant and accommodating. We reserved a room poolside. Our room and bathroom was clean, beds clean and bed bug free! The room had no odor! Fridge worked, TV worked, pool was clean and open for use. Our trip was to be a break from work and home, a quick escape at a fair price. We stayed the weekend and enjoyed the beaches/pool. It was conveniently located to everything including the drug stores and grocery. Went to the Bahi(which was packed!)in the evening and walked right back to our room.
The negatives were the other hotels on this same strip were alarming. Restaurants are on the opposite side of the airport, not as close as I thought. Furniture little dated. Not many cable channels(we didn’t stay in the room long enough to watch TV though)
If you are looking for a room that is perfect then spend the extra 100.00 for the beach, if you want a good room, at a decent value stay here. Landscaping by the pool was well maintained.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2009

My husband and I live approx. 10 miles from the Golden Host. It is a quiet hotel with beautiful grounds, and a pool that is enjoyable. To anyone visiting Sarasota, you will not be disappointed. We stay there often.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple