“Letters to the Board of Health After my Stay!”
Review of Golden Host Resort

Golden Host Resort
Ranked #44 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed 29 March 2007

I checked-in on Friday evening, March 2.

I was in town to run the Sarasota Marathon. Strategically speaking, it's a great location for marathoners because it's so close to the event.

I got in bed Friday evening. I forgot to turn the bathroom light out. When returning to bed I discovered a HUGE brown spot smack-dab in the middle of my bed! I look down on my legs and I have flakes of this stuff on me!

Rushed to the shower to get it off.

Rushed to the office and dragged this very nice lady back to my room. She told me that it was not human waste. It was BLOOD!

Immediately, she called housekeeping. I jumped on the phone with Hotwire and they assisted me by allowing me to find a new property and they'd pay the difference from my original fees.

I phoned the Golden Host multiple times. They did validate with Hotwire that it was blood.

HOWEVER...it's been nearly a month and they have NEVER contacted me personally to apologize. I have left several voice messages with the owner of the Golden Host and he had not replied.

I have contacted the Board of Health and other branches of FL governement about this.

How could a maid have overlooked this?

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo
9  Thank azsharkfan

Reviewed 29 March 2007

Okay, this is a cheap hotel. I get that. But when the rooms smell so bad you have to choose between safety and leaving the door wide open as long as possible to air out the smell, that's just wrong. I stayed there for 3 nights. The showers are terrible, i never took off my shoes during the entire stay, and on the day we left, a maintenance worker came busting through the door to "check on our shower" while my friend was in it. He said that the ceiling below it was about to cave in and she needed to get out immediately. Then the water damage was blamed on us!!! The staff kept suggesting that we left the water on when we were out! NOT TRUE! Other than that, they have a nice little Tiki Hut outside of the hotel, and the bartender was very kind and helpful on what to do in Siesta Key/Sarasota. If you read about the 'world famous Mai Tai's' what they say is true. I had a strong buzz from the first couple sips! Eh, it made the rest of the hotel more manageable! haha. My advise, pay the extra, stay on the keys!!!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank amandretti
Reviewed 8 March 2007

The room smelled like mildew and was in pretty bad shape - very run down. The location of the hotel makes it very difficult to go anywhere to eat unless you have a car. My taxi driver from the airport told me not to walk around there after dark and it became clear to me that he was right. I didn't feel safe. The breakfast in the morning was pretty sparse and lame - consisting mostly of dried out danishes and watered-down *awful* coffee. I know bargain hotels and have stayed in many - but those usually cost around $40 a night and you at least know you what you're getting. For the $90/night this place was, which though I guess is cheap for the area, you'd just expect more, not stained wallpaper and a scary bathroom where the water barely trickled out and the showerhead reached my mid-chest. Pathetic. The room was on street level and there was a lot talking and noise outside at night making it even harder to sleep. I was truly miserable staying there and have never been compelled to write any kind of review (much less such a negative one) until now.

Stayed: March 2007
5  Thank l3524
Reviewed 18 November 2006

This is a typical motel. The room was very clean and the facilities were ok. For the price you could probably get the same room cheaper a few yards down the road.The room didnt feel very heated as was stated and the room wasnt the going rate advertsied on the board outside. If you are passing throught this place is great but I wouldnt recommend it for a week or 2's holiday.
The breakfast was very basic, just toast, juice a couple of danish's and cereal. So dont expect afull cooked breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank JuliaT31
A TripAdvisor Member
Streetsboro, Ohio
Reviewed 14 June 2006

I booked a three night stay for my wife and I. We checked in late, the room we were given smelled so bad of mildew, I had to ask for a different room. The second room didn't smell as bad. We decided to stay in this room although it was filthy and the two sinks would not drain. Of the two beds, one had hairs in the sheets, the other a bug running around. Of course we only stayed that one night because it was late and we needed sleep, but found a clean place to stay near I75 for the other 2 nights. Bottom line is that this Golden Host Resort is the pits, it an old motel on the poor side of Sarasota that has been re-painted by Best Western and called a Resort. My advice is to stay away from any hotel/motel on the north side of Sarasota near the airport.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
London England
Reviewed 21 April 2006

Check in was okay, but room was musty and badly needed cleaning and total redecoration.

Last occupants food still in fridge, old clothes on terrace, and wash kit still in bathroom.

Sheets almost worn through. Really the worst Best Western I've ever stayed in, and I'm in hotels 100 nights per year.. will be interested to see what BW say as I'm Gold Crown member!

Avoid this place, stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 March 2006

The reviews entitled “Disgusting” (March 17, 2006) and “Horrible” (February 15, 2006) were accurate except they forgot to mention the cockroaches (excuse me, Palmetto Bugs) that have taken over the place.

Stayed: March 2006