“Gone way downhill”

Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Naples, Florida
“Gone way downhill”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

We have stayed here many times over the last 10 years and While it was never a high class hotel, it was always a safe bet. In the last year or so this is not the case. Since the previous manager, Melanie, left things have not been the same. The towels and sheets are getting threadbare. Have seen mold in the bathrooms. There just doesn't seem to be any attention to detail. Also more and more, they seem to cater to long term guests rather than the overnighters.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on previous occasions and was not impressed but i am glad to say it has came a long way and improved greatly. The hotel has a friendly staff and greatly improved rooms. I feel comfortable recommending this hotel. It loccation is close to airport and the price is great.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I just stayed at the Comfort Inn recently, and I will never be going back. I stayed there because of price but it ended costing me more than $1000 in stolen property right out of my room. If you care about your safety or property don’t stay here. My laptop computer, IPod and some jackets were stolen from my room while I was out touring. The hotel is run down and dirty and I had noticed that our door did not shut well and did not lock unless you pulled until you heard the lock click. We were there 3 days and each day I pulled the door shut and made sure it was secure before leaving. The problem was the maid did not do this one day and when we returned from a day out we found our door open and several things stolen from the room. We reported this to the management, including the owner who was working at the time, and they did not seem to care at all. They told us there nothing they could do and said we could report this to the police if we wanted to. There was no apology or any feelings expressed which really bothered my wife. They also told us that this was very unusual and had not happened before. When we Sarasota Police officers came to make out the report they told us there were several incidents of theft, drugs and prostitution at this hotel and the ones surrounding it and told us we it would be better to avoid this area on out next trip.

Aside from that experience and new found information about this being a high crime area the hotel is really run down. The room we had was dirty, the bathroom tub was pretty gross and our room had stained towels the first day so we had to request new ones, the carpet floor was sticky and you didn’t want to walk barefoot on it. The breakfast a fair but wasn’t kept very well stocked so you needed to get there early if you wanted to eat.

I probably could put up with the filthy room and mediocre breakfast because the price was a little cheaper than other hotels but I will not being staying at this hotel in the future because I do not feel comfortable leaving my belongings in the room and I do not get the impression that the management or owner cared about our problem or had any intention of fixing it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank bar_m123

Travellers are raving about these Sarasota hotels

Rowlett, Texas
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I've stayed at this property many times in recent years, and have normally considered it "excellent" because of its comfortable, clean rooms at what used to be a really good price. Seems as if this hotel, plus its sister properties, the Quality Inn next door and the other Quality Inn a couple of miles north, have all raised their prices in recent months, such that I would now classify the hotel as an "average" value rather than an excellent one.

My room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Bedding appeared to be new (or newer), and the bed itself was comfortable. Bathroom was clean, and everything in the room was in working order. One minor issue - there was a small work area, but the closest electrical outlet was a fair distance away and behind the TV armoire. Rather than trying to make that work, I strung my laptop cord from the outlet next to the bathroom sink. It was close enough that I didn't need an extension cord, but it was not an optimal way of doing things. A bit of thought in the room arrangement - or an extension cord - would have been a nice guest convenience. Sometimes I wonder why things like this get overlooked by those who furnish hotels. Perhaps we'll never know.

Service was pleasant, although the front desk person seemed a bit annoyed when I wanted to pay cash on departure. I told her that I had advised the check-in person that I would be paying cash when I checked out (I used a credit card when I checked in), and had been told it would be no problem. Turned out to not be a problem, but it surprised me a bit that it annoyed the clerk.

Regarding cash - if you check in with cash and leave a cash deposit, it must be reclaimed by 11am the following morning or it is forfeited. I've not seen such a policy anywhere else and am mentioning it for the benefit of any cash-paying guests reading this review.

Overall - not a bad place to stay. Had the prices not gone up, I'd have rated it 'excellent'. With my association discount, the rates used to be in the mid $40's + tax; now, the base rate is approaching $60. Your rate, of course, may vary. There are a variety of discounts available at the brand website, and Choice Hotels often runs some aggressive promotions that are worth taking advantage of when they're available.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Orlando
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Okay, so I will say that we traveled last-minute with a group and needed six rooms. They were able to accomodate us and everyone was very helpful and pleasant. Our check-in experience went well, the lady at the desk was very nice and welcoming and the gentleman who manned the desk at night was nice as well. However, the kindness of the staff was not able to make up for the shortfalls of this property. First, the lobby smelled of mold. Most of our guestrooms had the same smell. The rooms felt dank and damp, and my allergies really bothered me during our stay. There were cigarette holes/burn marks on some of the comforters, sheets & pillowcases. The pool area was nice and sufficient, but the laundry facilities left a lot to be desired. There was a washer and dryer available directly outside of the fenced pool area. Not in a separate room in the building, but actually outside on the sidewalk area. You didn't feel comfortable leaving clothes unattended, because someone could just walk away with them. Also, we were traveling with a number of teenagers, and three of the boys were "propositioned" while near the washer and dryer around dusk. A guy rode up to them on a bike and asked if they wanted any "female company" for the night. So that's what type of area you are dealing with.

Like I said, I knew going into this that we were staying at a budget property and really wanted to give the Comfort Inn the benefit of the doubt. However, despite the employees' good attitudes, I must say that I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ShanROrlando
Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

Clean rooms and friendly staff. Not the Ritz but it was only $50.00. Would use this one again.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Pat M
Osprey, Florida
Reviewed 9 May 2012

One of the lesser Comfort Inn's around, and a bit shabbier than it's sister Quality Inn a block or so to the north. The rooms are very worn, and the staff is disinterested/distracted though pleasant. The pool is sloppy, and the location is adjacent to a threadbare neighborhood, and locals walk through gaps in the fencing to shop, get to buses, etc. Yes, there's a museum and airport nearby, fast food, but everything nearby seems sketchy. This is a bit worse than the Quality Inn as it seems quite a few tenants are long term/unemployed. Don't leave leave your belongings in car, and don't plan on walking around after dark. WiFi was OK, and the refrigerator and microwave were convenient. Stayed in January, and there was no public PC or printer at all, and no way to print boarding passes. The breakfast is just OK; the room is crowded, and the single staffer is hard pressed to keep up with the demand.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family