“Nice Family Hotel with great Breakfast”

Best Western Plus Siesta Key Gateway
Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Toronto
“Nice Family Hotel with great Breakfast”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We only stayed one night but will stay longer in the future. We booked this online as a stopover on the way south, but this hotel delivered. We arrived late, and the desk attendant asked us where we wanted to stay (as we were leaving early, we asked for ground floor parking lot view for ease in loading and unloading) The rooms were nicely appointed, however we did note that there were several little worms on the carpet near the door. (we later realized that they seems to everywhere outside--it is Florida after all) We didn't mention the pests and it didn't really affect us.

The desk attendant was very helpful in suggesting a great gourmet pizza shop for our late night dinner (Sal's?) that delivered to the room. In the morning, the buffet served was top-notch, with bacon, scrambled eggs, fruit salad, cereals, yogurt, juices, toast and bagels, and a coffee/latte machine. The pool looked great, and we were provided 2 drink tickets to use at the pool bar. All this for $120? Crazy good deal.

Back next year for sure.

2 Thank Hogtownmike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I booked a room at this hotel through Expedia. I upgraded my room to a premium POOLSIDE room at an additional cost. I paid over two hundred dollars for one night. Upon arrival, I was greeted by an impolite clerk. She gave me the keys to room 308. Much to my surprise, the room over looked the parking lot. I thought she had made an error in my room type. I returned to the front desk and this same clerk became quite rude. She stated, " your room is on the poolside of the building but you just can't see the pool, only the parking lot". The clerk continued on to say I had booked with a "budget" supplier. I would not call over two hundred "BUDGET". She was not going to honor my reservation for a premium room. I requested a manager and was told that there was not anyone available, it was 5 pm. Basically, I was stuck with this room! The clerk refused to be of any other assistance and continued to tell me that I should not be using Expedia. Expedia has a great reputation and I have been using them for over ten years. The hotel was barely a 2 star and the main reason is the staff and room type they sell to their customers. For the price, I want to warn people to STAY AWAY. There are many more hotels in ths area that live up to their reviews. The manager the next morning was made aware of our disappointment and refused to address our concerns. I am a Florida resident and we travel many times a year to different areas in Florida for a get away. We will never recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: If you book a POOLSIDE room, go look at room before paying for it unless you like to look at a parki...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank homeaway1234
SiestaHotelMgr, General Manager at Best Western Plus Siesta Key Gateway, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your recent review. It is unfortunate that you did not read the description of your room type that you purchased on Expedia for our hotel. It clearly states, Poolside; not Poolview or Overlooking the Pool. It would have been a better experience for you if you had reviewed the room type details, reconfirmed with us directly or better yet, visited our hotel website to review the many photos and descriptions of our accommodations. Although Expedia is a reputable Online Travel Agency, once you reserve travel with them, they become your point of contact as you remit your payment to them. The hotel does not have any control over the reservation you make with one of these entities.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We booked this hotel at the last minute to escape to a warmer climate and were greatly impressed with the property and it's wonderful employees. The hotel is just 2 minutes from Siesta Key Beach and has many eateries in close walking distance too. This was my Christmas present from my hubby and I loved it! The hotel was renovated and well kept and clean!! There is a nice pool side bar and the pool is heated too. Rooms were nice and comfortable! This a great place to access Siesta Key or Turtle Beach or Sarasota. The hotels has a breakfast each morning that had a good selection of fresh fruits and eggs. This was the first time staying at a BW, and would do so again.

Room Tip: pool side rooms
2 Thank ernestokarina
Thank you for your recent review. The only way in which we are aware of our service is when our guests are kind enough to provide feedback that can be reviewed by our staff. We are happy that we were able to meet your expectations and look forward to your return in the future.
Orlando, United States
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Excellent Views when you Book Room on Pool Side of this Property. 5 minutes to Siesta Key. Rent a boat from Mr. CB's right down the road over bridge on the left. Publix is close by. Check out Anna's Sandwich Shop on the Key for lunch and Stonewoods is always great for Dinner. It is just a short walk from this Property. Been visiting this area for over 45 years and always love this Property! Great Breakfast is included and is really good. Check out the local restaurants on Siesta Key. If you can't find parking on Siesta Beach you can always head down to the South end of the Key to Turtle Beach. You can't go wrong when you book this location as it is a great value for the price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

3 Thank James S
Thank you for your recent review of our property. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed our location, the extensive breakfast and our proximity to Siesta Key and her many amenities. We hope to be able to continue to provide great customer service to you in the future and that we remain your property of choice when you return to Sarasota.
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I booked this hotel after reading the many positive and surprisingly good reviews for a BW property. I would say that this is one of the Best BWs we have stayed at. We had a pool side room on the 3rd floor - I am sure if I were on the other side of the building I would not be as positive. The place was clean and in good shape. I have to call out the helpful staff who did tech support on their computers when I was trying to print out my airline bordering pass (though it appears their computers/printer need some upgrading). Best thing about this hotel is the location just over the causeway to Siesta Key. And the 2 free drink coupon at the poll bar was a nice perk in addition to the hot breakfast.

Room Tip: You want a room on the pool side of the building an at least one floor up.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fondue4two
Thank you for your recent review. We are proud to be one of the finer Best Western Plus hotel properties in the area and are thrilled that we were able to exceed your expectations. Booking your hotel room directly through us entitles you to several advantages, including free drink coupons to be used at our new poolside bar, the Sand Dollar. We hope that you will return to our hotel property again in the future when Sarasota becomes your destination once again.
dayton, United States
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Older hotel that has been renovated. Overall very nice. Staff was friendly and helpful. Great location to Siesta Key and resturants. Room was very clean. Pool looked adequate. Nice place to stay for a night or two.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel property. We appreciate that you mentioned our proximity to many things including Siesta Key and restaurants within walking distance. We are grateful for your comments and hope to be your property of choice when you come back to Sarasota again in the future.
Miami, United States
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The hotel was clean and front desk employees were very friendly. The only complaint is that the rooms are very small. The breakfast was more than adequate, and although we were given two free drinks at the pool at cocktail hour, I didn't have an opportunity to take advantage of this, so I cannot comment on it.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
Comfort Suites Sarasota
Comfort Suites Sarasota
#2 of 48 in Sarasota

Been to Best Western Plus Siesta Key Gateway? Share your experiences!