“Decent but I have some questions...”

Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I attended a conference (and stayed at this hotel) last year and decided to return again this year as well. First let me say the hotel is very convenient and the lobby is beautiful. Staff very friendly. Some rooms are on the pool/marina side (very picturesque) and some on the bay/street side (not so picturesque unless you are up on the higher floors). The rooms are ok. The bathrooms are very very small. It was actually difficult to be in the bathroom and shut the door behind me (toilet and shower are in the same space). I did book well in advance and hoped for one of the pool/marina side rooms. When I arrived I was booked into a room facing the street side (not the marina). Ok, nice room and maybe I'm a little picky, but I'm in Florida and I want to see the water.
I asked if I could switch to a marina side room because last year we had an awesome view and an even more awesome balcony for relaxing and cocktails. The very nice person at the reception desk was very accommodating and I was switched but did not have a balcony which was disappointing. It just wasn't the same. Just a window and no balcony left me feeling trapped from all the fun. Don't get me wrong. It's a very nice place and
I do plan on attending the same conference next year but I'm a little reluctant to stay at the same hotel. I travel alot and I often wonder how the hotel staff assigns the "choice" rooms. Is there a secret algorithm they use?
There was no mention of an upgrade charge when I booked. I don't want to be pushy but what's the process of getting the awesome room?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank njpk
ChrisLevine, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. You have procided some excellent feedback and we will take these comments into consdieration when looking at making the hotel better. Your question/comment on how to book the room you had last year is a common one and I'm glad that you voiced it in a public forum much like this. To guarantee the extact same room as the year before is not possible however, here is how we can help; if you were in a marina view balcony king for example, when you book next year, book a king room with the balcony upgrade, there will be a fee for the upgraded room type (balcony). We do not sell by view type however, in the reservation comments, please feel free to request the view type you wish and we will do our best to accomodate the request.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Sarasota

Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt while visiting in the area. At check-in, we were able to upgrade to a room on the tenth floor with a balcony facing Sarasota bay for $25. The pool, marina, and other amenities give the hotel a resort feel (and make the $15 resort fee kind of worth it). We went off property for dinner, but enjoyed the breakfast buffet that was included in our package the next morning. We had no problems during our stay and appreciated a smooth check-out. Will definitely be returning the next time we visit.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade when booking, do so on arrival to save some money. We ended up with a better room...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the upgrade and found value in the hotel fee. We designed it in hopes of providing even more value and it looks like we have done just that. We hope to see you again in the near future and again, thank you for posting.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Some friends and I were traveling and spent only one night at this Hyatt. How unfortunate for us. We would have stayed a week if time would have allowed. We were greeted by the very friendly and knowledgeable front desk staff and given a wonderful welcome drink, then taken to our room by one of the nicest bellmen I have ever met. We came down to the beautiful pool area and were more than impressed. From the luxurious towels to the very comfortable lounge chairs, everything was top notch. The bartender at the pool bar was friendly and gave us a few suggestions on where to go for dinner. Our room was clean and comfortable and we loved the "Window Seat" overlooking the pool. We requested a late check out and were given until 1:00 PM, with out any problem at all. The Front Office Manager Rob Gregory went out of his way for us each time we saw him. He informed us about the area, the nightlife and all of the wonderful amenities his hotel offered. Specifically the hotel shuttle that took us downtown to dinner, and offered to pick us up. Said they would do whatever they could to ensure a memorable stay at their hotel, and he meant it. Overall, the hotel was beautiful and comfortable, but the staff, specifically Rob and his front office team, made the trip for us. I can't want it go back again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pam B

Thank you for your glowing review. We will certainly post this internally and recognize Rob and his team for their exceptional efforts. W ehope to have you back as our guest sooner rather than later.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Great location with friendly personalized service. Excellent improvement from our previous visits is the water temperature in the lovely pool is now much warmer and a pleasure to use. Would suggest adding cushions to the pool chaises to make it more comfortable and give it more of a resort feel. Special thanks to Robb, the front desk manager for making our stay more pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of both our hotel and our staff. Your comments have been filtered through our hotel and all it's departments. We hope to give you a 5 diamond experience the next time you are in Sarasota.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We spent a week in this classy Hyatt. The pool area is lovely and the lobby is well decorated and airy. Our room was comfortable with king size bed and small seating area. The bathroom, although small, was navigable. The sink is outside the toilet and tub space which makes it better for two people to use. We did not have enough drawer space for two people and had to request more hangers.The staff was friendly but not always knowledgeable about the area. We liked the restaurant, however service was very spotty and inconsistent. We would return to this hotel. It is clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor on the marina side for better views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We will certainly bring the positive and constructive feedback to our meetings and continue to improve. We hope to see you again shortly.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

My husband and I were here for eight nights in February. We have been here many times and really like the hotel - it's the best place to stay in Sarasota. (the Ritz has a serious parking problem). Everything was going along splendidly up until the last few nights. There was a dreadful storm, which caused some sort of wifi problem, which affected us in the room. We let the front desk know of our problem, they communicated that the problem would be resolved the next day, but it wasn't. It continued into the following day and the following day. Although staff was lovely with a cheerful positive attitude and we could tell they were trying, the problem was not resolved and we were beginning to be frantic with a serious travel schedule facing us.

It took getting the general manager involved to get enough attention on the matter to cause a workaround to be implemented. Really... that's unfortunate and distressing in today's wired world. We appreciated the bottle of wine for our troubles, but would so much rather have had the issue corrected quickly.

Further, we had some food issues, but I actually discounted that due to the miserable, unforecasted storm which caused everyone to descend on the dining room at the same time to avoid the torrential rain.

I remember when I just wanted a clean bed and hot water... but NOW... I have to have my internet!!!

With the lovely staff, wonderful views, nice large room (despite limited storage space), easy parking out back, great location, terrific breakfast......there is so much to love... I so wanted to give more stars.... but losing 2 1/2 days battling a miserable internet connection just did me in!

Room Tip: ask for a marina view - it's more interesting. some have balconies and some have that space glas...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Rhett W, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry that you had difficulty getting the very important connectivity issue remedied in a timely manner. Please know that we have made some recent/significant technology infrastructure upgrades. As you mentioned, staying connected is key in today's world and we don't want our guests to miss a beat while staying with us. We hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel on your next trip to Sarasota.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Beautiful outdoor pool, great location and friendly service makes this a great place to stay in Sarasota. The fitness center was private and quiet, great option for a quick workout. Lobby bar was filled with beautiful people after a show at the nearby performing arts center and the next morning was awesome with friendly room service for breakfast. I loved that they had soy milk readily available on the menu and housekeeping team member Yvette was more than helpful and kind. Really nice experience!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jacqueline D
ChrisLevine, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for the glowing review! Our staff takes great pride in trying to give every guest a great and unique experience and our housekeeping.engineering teams work tirelessly to maintain our areas to help exceed your expectations. The next time you are here, we would love to host you again.