“OK, Pleasant Experience”

Hyatt Regency Sarasota
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Pros:
Excellent, firm Hyatt bed. I am going to buy this bed.
You can check in for your flight right in the hotel lobby! I love that (all) Hyatts offer this service. How convenient for travelers.
Housekeeping was polite and very friendly.
Front desk was very friendly, and they allowed me to check in very early and check out late. I had called a week early to request a room with a view and they accommodated me without me having to ask again when I checked in. It was a partial view, but a view, nonetheless.
On the day I checked out, there were two staff greeting guests at the front door (could these be the missing concierges? see Cons below). One of them was very helpful in giving me directions/maps and information about beaches, mail service, etc.
Standard rooms are a good size, bright and light. I worked in my room for a day and a half and never felt cramped.
Great Hyatt bathrooms ammenities. We were given the citrus and white ginger lines.

Cons:
I am still unclear about the concierge services at this hotel. I called the concierge desk twice; after the phone rang for quite some time, it was finally picked up by the front desk staff. I am not sure if there is not a regular concierge or if he/she is only there during specific hours. I was never able to get a hold of him/her.
The staff, although friendly, are not familiar with some of the services offered on the hotel's Web site, such as the yoga program offered through the in-room televisions. I talked to two different front desk staff three different times but neither could help me figure out how to get this service. I was not able to get a hold of the concierge to get help with this.
There is no on-site spa at the hotel, although it is listed as one of the ammenities they provide. I believe they book appointments for you at a nearby spa. You can also have a massage therapist come to your room. While this is helpful, it is not the same as having a spa in the hotel. It seems more and more hotels are doing this now so they can add "spa" to their list of ammenities and get that 4-star rating.
The business center is really just a section in the corner of the lobby (separated by 3.5 walls). Prices are high for internet use and printing. Loud "lobby/elevator" music played constantly while I was there (for 3 hours).
The lobby is not as large and grand as it looks on the Hotel's Web site.
The pool is small and very popular. i.e., crowded.
Bathroom (toilet and shower room is separate from the sink) was small and felt cramped. If you have a thing about large, spacious bathrooms, you should look into a suite--they may offer more space.
No bars/hooks for towels. Fresh towels are placed folded on a shelf, which creates a problem for guests with damp/used towels.
My room was in the front of the hotel, above the entrance. I had my patio door open most of the day, and arriving/departing guests were very loud at times. This wasn't a problem with the door closed. If you want a quiet room, ask for something not over the entrance of the hotel.

Would these cons stop me from staying here again? No (unless I was hoping to have a spa getaway--then I'd go somewhere with an on-site spa). They are minor problems. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

2  Thank Travel_Around2
hyattsrq, manager at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2009

Thank you for your recent review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. As a member of the management staff, I would like to address the issues that you found unsatisfactory.
· We do not have a spa on property and we do not advertise that we do however we
will arrange for spa services at a nearby full service spa or we can arrange for an in room massage therapist.
· The hotel concierge is on duty and we are sorry that you missed her.
· YogaAwayTM This innovative system allows you to order a complete yoga workout from your in-room entertainment unit. A variety of programs are available, including fitness, stress reduction and mental focus.
· As of August 20, 2009 the business center has now become a complimentary feature. There is a minimal fee for copies and faxes.
· We are very proud of our achievement of the AAA 4 Diamond Award, which makes us the only AAA 4 Diamond hotel in Sarasota.

On behalf of the entire staff of the Hyatt Regency Sarasota we look forward to seeing you again real soon!

Reviewed 26 July 2009

Stayed at the Hyatt for seven nights on a vacation trip. Had been to the hotel years ago and was very impressed with their extensive renovations. It looked like a brand new hotel. Got a great deal on Priceline
Rooms are spacious. Mine was on a high floor facing the city. The room had a very comfortable bed; a great bay window with seating; a club chair; a few tables; roomy desk and even an IPOD player. The bathroom was small as stated above, but the outer room with sink, vanity and shelves for storage was a great size.
The hotel itself is wonderful. A full health club that made for nice daily workouts. A decent restaurant and a great pool and adjacent area. Self parking was available and with the exception of one night during a big fundraiser was easy to access.
The staff is exceptional. Everyone I dealt with was friendly and very helpful. On vacation, that really makes a difference.
Two very minor problems: 1) TV in my room gave poor reception the whole stay 2)lighting in the bath/toilet was poor--it was an energy saver light that needed to be on for a long while before the light was bright.
Two Larger problems: 1) Didn't bring laptop with me and business center charges $1 a minute. I travel extensively and have never seen such an expensive rate. Found the local library which solved my problem. 2) As stated the pool area is great and local kids have learned that too. Every day I saw countless teens streaming in and out of the pool grounds. Even though a large sign states "Pool is for guests only". It really effected my pool experience and at times made parking difficult. I asked an employee about this and was told "we really can't stop them". Yes you can. The pool is not public property.
Beside that, I would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank David W
Reviewed 18 July 2009

We stayed at this hotel in April. I was attending a conference and my family accompanied me for the trip. We had a lovely time. The view of the pool and marina from our room was very nice. The room was very comfortable (though could use some more hooks in the bathroom/sink area). It's a bit of walk to get into the heart of Sarasota, but doable. The hotel staff were a bit uppity. My only real beef was the self-serve laundry facility. We were staying a week and packed light because they advertised on-site self-serve laundry. First, I discovered the laundry room was far and awkward to reach. (You have to lug your laundry across the pool area.) Then the coin system didn't work. The coins jammed all the machines I tried so I had to walk all the way back to the desk and they had to call the engineer, who got the first washer started using a crow bar to release the coin drop. (This apparently wasn't a new problem to him.) Then the soap dispenser took my coins but gave me no soap. At least I got my exercise that day running back and forth between the front desk and the remote little laundry room.

Reviewed 13 July 2009

The hotel completed a $25 million makeover last May and it's still fresh. We had a bay view room on the sixth floor with balcony. Beautiful pool. Excellent staff, from bellman to maid to front office. Our room was very clean. Only issue (and it's minor) is that the bathroom is small - toilet and tub in a small space that gives meaning to "water closet." Nice bed, linens, etc. Can't go wrong if you like the price.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Back in March, I put a bid on Priceline.com for a 4 star hotel in Sarasota area. I wound up 'winning' this hotel with a $63 bid (therefore the '5' rating for 'value'). The service was outstanding, the staff was very friendly and accommodating. When I checked in, the front desk staff member offered a no charge upgrade to a room w/ a balcony, however we wound up declining due to a smoky (cigar?) odor on that floor (smoking was allowed in rooms down the hall). Turns out the room without the balcony was just fine since the balconies were very small anyway, and the other rooms had bay window type area w/ seating that was just as well (and made the room seem to be a bit larger). The pool was great, especially for the kids, as at the one end the depth began at 1 inch and gradually sloped to more than 6 feet. It also had a cool grotto-like area w/ waterfalls from above. There was also a jacuzzi (which we did not use). Once finding out it was our son's birthday during our stay, staff placed (what seemed like) homemade cookies and a decent size bottle of chilled milk in the room. That was a very nice gesture. The parking was fine and ample during our stay. You do have the option of free parking or paying for valet service. This is definitely the place to stay if you are going to see a show at the Van Weezel Performing Arts Center, as it is right across the street. We went to nearby beaches during our stay (Lido and Siesta Key, which were both great). I had only two (minor) complaints: the sheets on the beds were not very soft. They couldn't have been more than 200(?) thread count. They were pretty rough. For a place of this caliber, I would have expected more luxurious linen. And secondly, the security guard gave us a bit of a hassle for bringing our own food (sandwiches) to the pool. I couldn't believe he actually told us we couldn't bring it there. I suppose they want you to buy food from one of their establishments. Regardless, this was a very nice hotel and we had an excellent experience. We would go back in a heartbeat (as long as we get another priceline winning bid!).......

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2009

What I mean by typical beach hotel is that the rooms have a slight mildewy smell like most hotels that are located on the water or a beach, but if you can get over that the hotel is just fine. It's in a great location and it has its own marina, which is why we stayed there. I have a friend in Sarasota and he could pick us up from the hotel's marina via boat. It looked like the hotel had a nice pool but we never used it since we were on the boat both days. It seems that their room keys lose there "code" relatively easy- both days after boating the key wouldn't work so I had to go down to the front desk and have new keys made.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KK
hyattsrq, Manager at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2009

Thank you for your recent review of our property. The Hyatt Regency Sarasota prides itself on the service and maintenance of the hotel and we have recently undergone a $22 million dollar renovation making major improvements in all areas. I am sorry to hear that not everything was to your liking. We have found that room keys can become demagnetized if carried in the same pocket as your cell phone or coins. Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 26 June 2009

I've stayed at the Hyatt many times while traveling for business and the recent renovations are great. Love the updated look and feel of the hotel. Location is okay. You need a car to get to any dining and shopping, which i normally find frustrating, but in the summer I don't really want to be walking around outside in Florida. Lido Key is a short 5-minute car ride. Overall, location is okay and rooms are decent.