“Beautiful location; amenities need work”
Review of Lido Beach Resort

Lido Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Sarasota, Florida
“Beautiful location; amenities need work”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We just spent the Memorial Day weekend at this resort. While the location was great and room was spacious, the amenities left something to be desired. I'd like to share the following two examples: The worst and most startling thing was the absolute filthiness of the pool. It was so disgusting that it lead us to question if it was broken. I have never seen a resort pool with huge chunks of hair and filth floating all over, but this one had it!
The food quality was very poor, along with the selection. The blandness of entrees coupled with the price left much to be determined. For example, a kids spaghetti with asparagus= $14.00? No meatless options either :(
Long story short, it's really a shame because on the surface it seems like a great place to stay, but when you scratch the surface, the resort really needs help on many levels.

• Stayed May 2014
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I am very sorry you experienced some issues during your stay. I will be sure to address your concerns with the appropriate departments so we may continually improve our service levels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have been fans of the Lido Beach Resort since we opened our business here 19 years ago. We have always brought our out of town guests here, as well as recommended the resort/pool bar to hundreds of our customers, as well as usually having our annual Employee Christmas party here. In the past, we would stop at the Tiki bar a few times a week for a few sunset drinks. We recently brought six of our friends here for drinks and food. We arrived at 6:45 knowing they stop serving food after 7:00 and drinks stop at 8:00. We sat at a round table and waited...and waited. One of the servers was clearing the table next to us and made eye contact, so I figured she would be right back to take our order...Never happened. 15 minutes later , I went up to the not so busy bar and asked if I could get someone to wait on us..bartender looked around and non-chalantly said "sure". Since I was standing there, I ordered 6 Grand Golden Margaritas, and he said the server would bring them to us. Another 10 minutes and the server appeared with 6 lime-aid concoctions. We said we needed to order food and his response was "it is 7:05, we stop serving food at 7:00". but you can go to the grill up front(where they get the food from) and get it yourself. In the mean time, several orders of food were arriving that were ordered earlier. Back to the drinks....Not made with gold tequila, no Gran marnier to speak of, and mostly sour mix.....so I go up to the bar and waited another 5 minutes for the bartender to stop his socializing and ask me what I needed. I told him I needed a few shots of Gran Marnier to help make the drink drinkable, and was more than willing to pay for six shots. He ended up pouring 2 shots for 10.00. I asked him if he used a gold tequila, and he responded, no, and walked away. One of my guests had walked up front to get something for us to eat, and just sat back down and last call was yelled at everyone. When the server brought our check, we expressed to him, that the drinks were horrible, and that we did not want anything else. I watched him go up to the bartender and nodded toward us while he was telling him we were not happy, which got a shrug from him and he again walked away. 19 years of patronizing a local bar and tipping thousands of dollars for good service and drinks have come to an end for us. I hesitated posting this before I e-mailed the resort, so I waited 2 months after expressing my experience in an e-mail to them. I have not received any response to my communication, and will not be patronizing or recommending them anymore. How sad.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank pirate40
Thank you for your review of the Tiki bar at the Lido Beach Resort. I am very sorry you did not have a good experience. I have not received any emails regarding your experience. I would love the opportunity to discuss your review and attempt to make things right. We value your business and want you to return. Please contact me directly so we may discuss your review. I look forward to hearing from you.
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This place was great, we got to bring our small 20 lb dog which was a plus. We had dinner in the main restaurant and it was well worth it, great meal and gorgeous sunset. The beach was really nice and you could walk a nice long way. We watched sting rays and dolphins play in the water from our balcony. And we were just a few blocks away from the best kayaking we have ever done. Saw manatees, dolphins, lots of fish, all types of water birds including Roseate Spoonbills and Great White Herons. We took the free shuttle up to the St. Armands circle and spent several evenings there trying out the local restaurants, none disappointed. Kilwin's ice cream shop was our favorite dessert spot.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for your glowing review. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay at the Lido Beach Resort and also got to see much of the wildlife. We hope you return again soon!
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I recently spent 9 days at the Lido Beach Resort.
Our room was great. We had a beachfront kitchenette in the smaller (original) bldg. We had a king bed, a small kitchen, and my favourite - his n hers closets! The view of the pool and beach was very nice. B/c we were only on the 2nd floor, on a cpl of occasions we did hear noise from outside, but nothing that was a really big deal.

I must say that the service was rather inconsistent throughout our stay. The first day, our room was made up, but our dishes were still in the sink and the counters not even wiped down. We were happy to do our own dishes, but we didn't have any dish soap or dishcloths in the room, so we assumed housekeeping would take care of it. When we inquired, we were supposed to have those supplies, but housekeeping was also supposed to clean the kitchen area. We also never knew when housekeeping may arrive. One day they arrived before 9am. Another day we had to call at 3pm as they still hadn't been, but we had a wedding to get ready for. On another day, they never came at all, and we had to call again as we hd no bathroom tissue left.

The food in the cafe/tiki bar is average. A lot of fried foods. Even the salads they offer are quite heavy. I ordered a caesar salad and it was drowning in sauce. We ate breakfast in the cafe a few times and had mediocre service. One day our servers appeared to be mixed up (2 people attempted to serve us) and then they had a small argument about it in full view of us. Another day our bills were mixed up (only 4 of us were at the table).

That said, Brent at the pool bar was AWESOME. We were a large group celebrating a wedding. There's no question that we were enjoying our drinks and having a good time poolside. He never got an order wrong despite us constantly moving around the pool. We were also usually in a group larger than 10, and often had more than 10 drinks to an order by the end of a day. He works very hard and was so pleasant the whole week, remembering our names and where we were from.

The property is overall quite nice. 2 pools; one is adult only. Several small hot tubs, and beachfront. It is kept very clean, and the beach is obviously raked as well. One annoying thing is that there is a public beach right next door. So, some people going to that beach will park in the Lido Resort lot and take up spots. This doesn't really seem to be monitored. The Lido guests are supposed to display a pass in their window. There were many that weren't. There is also a leg parked, but the side lot was much closer to our room and that's where we wanted to go.

Overall, I would still stay at the Lido Beach resort again. The little annoyances did not really affect my overall enjoyment of the trip. My husband (politely) brought our concerns to the manager's attention at the end of our stay, and he was very thankful for our feedback, and did adjust our fees some, so obviously this is a place that does care about the happiness of the guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michelle B
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for your very detailed and thorough review of the Lido Beach Resort. We truly do appreciate your feedback. I apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced and will certainly work to improve our service levels based on your review. Thank you again for your comments and for staying with us!
Etna Green, Indiana
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here last August. I came with my husband who was fortunate enough to have business meetings at this hotel. We stayed in the taller building and had the most beautiful ocean view. We left the door open most nights to hear the waves. I loved every second of our stay here. The beautiful Gulf water was so warm and the waves were gentle. The beach was clean and the shelling was great. I chatted with lots of very nice people on the beach since my husband had to be in meetings most of the day. Our room was clean and very nice. I spent very little time in it, I could have slept on the beach lounge! The staff was very nice and helpful. They have a driver with a van who will take you to St. Armands Circle to shop and eat. They have an adults pool and a "everyone" pool. I never sat at the pool but it seemed nice. I would go back here in a heartbeat. Loved my time spent here and miss it!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony. You can listen to the waves all night!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Olivia M
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments about the Lido Beach Resort! I am extremely pleased you enjoyed your stay and want to return again! We look forward to your return and making another memorable stay for you!
Glasgow
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We have stayed on a number of occasions at the Lido Beach and it was a sudden impulse to go there for the last 4 days of our holiday in Florida. I read with interest the recent good and bad reports about the hotel.
It is an infuriating hotel to stay in because there are so many good things about it....location, courtesy bus to St Armands Circle, spacious rooms, excellent dining room, great bar, etc.
However, there are a number of things which detract from enjoying a relaxing stay there.
Firstly, the room we thought we had booked a day earlier was not available and we were "upgraded" to a Tower Suite. Having unpacked everything, we noticed the cracked tiles in both the bathroom and the kitchenette which had been hidden by mats. These were serious cracks which could have caused damage to bare feet. When reported to the front desk, their main concern was that the mats covered all the cracks. I did say that we didn't want to move as we were only there for 4 nights.
Secondly, although guests pay $25 a day resort fee, the Tiki Bar is accessible to the general public. Despite the fact that there are notices stipulating the rules, nobody polices them! Therefore, people come in off the beach, bring in their own drink in cool boxes, use the pools, use guest sunbeds and take drink and food into the pool. The relaxed atmosphere around the pool soon becomes too boisterous. Either the hotel needs to close the bar to non-residents, which I don't think they want to do, or they issue wrist bands to guests thus allowing easy identification of "intruders". Some hard decisions need to be taken by management if they are to sort out this problem.

In addition, the pool filtration system does not work terribly effectively because every day there was an accumulation of sun-oil and debris floating about.
An earlier contributor mentioned the fact that uncollected trays would lie around for days in corridors. This was still in evidence during our visit.
Breakfast used to be served on the 8th floor but is now only available in the Lido Café. This is an open but covered area which is basic to say the least!! A hotel of this standard deserves a better breakfasting facility. Does nobody ever think about clearing the bird "poo" from the breakfast chairs? This was in evidence for the 4 days of our stay!
You can see why I'm frustrated as it could so much better.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you commit!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Golfer016
Thank you for your very thorough review of the Lido Beach Resort. I can certainly understand your frustrations based on your review and apologize your experience was not a better one. The hotel is working towards a renovation to address the issues you cited. As for the other items, this should not have happened and I will share your review with the appropriate departments to improve these areas. Thank you for your observations and feedback!
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Recently took my daughter, sister in law, and our mothers for Mother's Day weekend. Booked the 14th floor 2bed / 2bath suite. Upon check in, the bellman helped us get all of our food and bags up to the room...and it was A LOT!

Staff was friendly and courteous. I had a few special requests that were addressed with a smile. I wanted to make sure it was extra special for our mothers, so I think I became a little bit of a pain with the special requests, but the staff seemed to handle everything with grace and ease.

I want to relay how clean the suite and grounds were. I had read some negative reviews so I was determined to keep my eyes open...my usual 5-star destinations (which will remain unnamed for this review) may have been more richly decorated...but the Lido Beach Resort was just as cleanly if only stark.

As with all of my other reviews, I usually try to make some sort of suggestions. My only suggestion for the Lido Beach Resort would be to make sure that housekeeping please keep in mind the number of guests in a room. We had five people in our suite, but received two packets of morning coffee, and two very tiny sets of bath amenities. The second day, we did not receive any extra bath amenities. I can say that upon request, they rushed more to our room, but each day we had to make a request for more, which was ok...but could have been avoided.

One final note...the front desk staff went out of their way to accommodate us at the last minute. On the last night of our stay, we received quite the large display of several vases of flowers. Not knowing how to transport them when we left, the front desk boxed all of them up for us, and held them until we could load them into the car the next day. An efficient and friendly staff goes a long way with me!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor of the tower...it was beautiful and clean.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lilmsctfsh
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort! I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and it sounds like a very memorable Mother's Day weekend. I appreciate your observations and suggestions and will certainly share them with our housekeeping department. Thank you again for your review and your business!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
Best Western Plus Siesta Key Gateway
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
#1 of 48 in Sarasota

Been to Lido Beach Resort? Share your experiences!