“Breakfast cafe buffet!!!!!!”

Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Cannes
“Breakfast cafe buffet!!!!!!”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Did not stay here, looked at rooms and reads reviews, has antique heat and air system, rooms felt stuffy and
Expérience tells me would not get better, a two pipe air system. Views good from beach rooms. Anyway I am reviewing their breakfast cafe. Very nice buffet with good food at good price. Patio or inside seating. Great place with pool side dining .

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PicassoPaints

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed at Helmsley in September 2013, for a couple of nights. The Golf View room was amazing, it is worth the price. The hotel itself was a good experience, good value for money. The staff was kind and helpfull. Free parking opportunities.
Located right on the beach - so nice. I will for sure come back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This must be one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. The hotel itself is clean, kitschy and well priced. Decor is plain. Long time staff greeted us like old friends. Nice big rooms. Great breakfast buffet price. Burgers rock. Get an ocean view and listen to the waves. Seriously what more do you want at this price?

Room Tip: Ocean front a must
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This hotel has nothing else going for it than the location and the pools. Repeat customers mean nothing to the management. Very tired rooms and unfriendly personal. I am not sure why this hotel received a certificate of excellence.

Room Tip: Gulf front is most expensive but great for sunset viewing and listening to waves.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sybille P

Travellers are raving about these Sarasota hotels

Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Let's start with the GOOD:
*The beach is beyond beautiful!! You walk right off the pool deck onto 5 different grades of sand and crystal blue waters!
*The tiki bar is awesome! We loved Kelly!!! She makes perfect drinks (and my boyfriend was a bartender for many years)!! She took extra special care of us because it was my birthday!
*The rooms and common areas were incredibly clean... and the outdoor staff/cleaning staff were wonderful! Pleasant and Hard-Working!
*The pools were heated and there were plenty of chairs!

Now let's talk about why I didn't give this hotel 5 Stars:
*We showed up to the hotel and were in a rush to get ready to meet friends for dinner for my birthday... and the hotel didn't have our reservation. It took nearly 20 minutes to get checked in. The front staff were polite but not very friendly. They did offer us an upgrade from parking garage room to courtyard room because of our reservation issue.. but it was My Birthday! You would think they would have offered a little something more???
*The rooms are a little pricey for how dated they are... Clean, but dated. But I guess you pay for the location on the beach... which is AWESOME!!
*There is a fee for everything on the beach! :( Pay to Kayak, Pay to Bike, etc... With the price of the hotel, those should be included.

Overall, we loved staying at the Helmsley and will likely stay again!

2 Thank Jess1218
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I have never seen carpet so old and dirty in a hotel. I never took my socks off. This hotel probably used to be a great place to stay. The rooms are large but so incredibly dated. No frills that's for sure. The location and beach is lovely. That's what is has going for it. I would not recommend the hotel and I would not stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cherri D
Shepherd, Michigan
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My first impressions of this hotel were not good. I'd booked and paid for our room last summer and had gotten a pretty good deal. That expression, "You get what you pay for" comes immediately to mind. We ended up with a room with a window facing the parking garage maybe 20 feet away. Though I didn't expect we'd spend that much time in our room I could tell that my fella (whose a bit claustrophobic to begin with) was not happy. We upgraded to a pool side room that also ended up having some issues and were eventually moved to a beachview room on the second floor. This truly exceeded my expectations. There was a shared balcony and every night we opened the door window to hear the sound of the waves on the beach. The room was fairly basic but did have a bigger-than-tiny refrigerator as well as the basic amenitites. Every morning we walked all the down the beach to the south and around through the park at the very end. It was amazing. We saw and/or found dolphins, starfish, sea cucumbers, sea urchins, sand dollars, oh - and what appeared to be a resident raccoon that we quickly nick-named "Helmsley". He was actually up on the second floor one night when we arrived "home". the breakfast buffet was standard but good. Service was very good. This is also a "Preferred Pride" hotel so if that is important to you be sure to ask for the discounted rate. By the time we left we were both acknowledging that it had turned out to be a great place for us. We'd probably return in the future. The Ritz? Oh no. But good friendly service, two pools, sea toys (kayak, boards, etc.) available to rent, great tiki bartender --- it all worked for us!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room that does not face the parking garage (unless you really cannot afford the...
2 Thank luckygreen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarasota
Holiday Inn Sarasota - Lido Beach
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
#1 of 48 in Sarasota
Hibiscus Suites - Sarasota / Siesta Key

Been to Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach? Share your experiences!