“room was filthy.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Sarasota Downtown
Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed 28 May 2014

we did write to LQ and complain, so they have been made aware, but what a nightmare it was. Thanksgiving night, exhausted, checked in, got settled and then discovered the filth. we were so totally grossed... my fault in that I never thought to request a room change, that's how tired we were.... there was no toilet paper, the desk said they'd deliver it, an hour later my husband redressed & went down himself to get some. the sink and counter were covered in toothpaste spit and razor shavings... ughhh..., totally grossed out.. sticky stuff all over the night stands and the table. at least the sheets had been changed & I do bring my own pillow... I kick myself that I didn't think to change rooms, but being thanksgiving they probably were all disgusting with the "hurry to get home" mentality (which I understand, however if you have a job, you damn well had better do it 110%) .. I emailed the manager & told her I would never stay there again. I just can't imagine taking that risk..Although the manager removed the charge, it was just too horrible of an experience..
the thing is, we also stayed at LQ in another FL city and that room was dirty also, We had thought we would give this chain a chance since we had never used them before. I contacted LQ about this one also, but too strange to have two different hotels in two different cities with such gross accommodations.. I figure they must hire the lowest priced cleaning service with entirely too few people for the needs... no stars... will never stay at one again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Donna H

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent 1 night in this hotel,leaving the next day to travel to another FL local, & we wanted to "hit the beach" in Sarasota before we left town. There was only 1 staff member at desk & there needed to be a bell to get their attention. Otherwise staff was friendly and very helpful with finding local eateries and stores and getting to the beach. We did not use the pool on the grounds but I did look at it and it looked to be about medium sized. I didn't see a kiddie pool area, but that doesn't mean they didn't have one. They also have "contential breakfast" which we didn't partake in either, wanted to sleep in :) ! Otherwise room was very clean, toilet and shower were separate from the sink area. I believe it was stated on a flyer in the room that this place is conserving electricity (don't quote me), only because the light in the toilet/shower area was yellow color and dim. Interestingly there is a curtain that pulls around to cover the fridge/microwave area. I don't see the need but maybe some people can't sleep with the "glow" from the microwave light for the time? Just guessing. Also, when you are heading towards the main drag area (towards a HUGE Publix store) there is a interesting statue of a man and woman. You will recognize what it is right away. We would definitely stay there again. OH... and the soap bars are a citrus smell!! I was going to ask if I could get/buy some when we checked out, but forgot. We also booked this room through Orbitz and got it at a better price. I think about $20.00 difference then what they charge.

Room Tip: Great location for stores and beach access.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pookie449
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This hotel is a great value. Rooms are clean, staff is very friendly and helpful, breakfast is included with plenty of options to start the day. It is dog friendly with plenty of canines(some barking). This did not bother us but did others. Rooms have microwaves and fridges. Central to many sites, beaches, activities and airport. Will definitely stay again.

2  Thank Patricia S
A La Quinta traveler
Orlando
Reviewed 26 May 2014

1  Thank A La Quinta traveler
Reviewed 23 May 2014

1). They didn't clean our room for 2 days straight. No fresh towels, waste baskets spilling over, and we ran out of toilet paper. My calls to the front dest usually weren't answered, since the attendant was absent for long periods. Then when he promised to bring towels, he never did. Finally I had to go downstairs & get in his face.
2) They allow pets here. Fine. Except that the dog next door has barked for HOURS. It's now 10 pm, and he's still barking.
3) the place smells. Understandable, when they don't clean the rooms, and people don't see to their pets.
4) No one was concerned about any of this. The front desk guy wouldn't take any responsibility. He wasn't even there most of the time. People tried to call us on business, and they said nobody at the hotel ever picked up the phone.

This is easily the WORST hotel ever. The local homeless shelter has to be a better place to stay.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed here for two nights during our stay in Sarasota Florida and were most impressed
Our room was spacious and comfortable. The staff were attentive and courteous and the breakfast was excellent
An altogether great experience.
We would recommend it to everyone

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Being able to take your pets with you and stay in a clean and nice hotel is a big big plus. Staff was very kind to the pets and no one complained about them. Definitely a great option and they don't charge you anything for the pets either.