“Not up to my expectations...left without staying.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Sarasota Downtown
Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
Hallowell, Maine
“Not up to my expectations...left without staying.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

After a lot of research on this hotel, I felt pretty comfortable staying there based on the wonderful reviews of this hotel. I was traveling to Sarasota with my family to attend a spring training game. We were looking for something that we could stay for one very short night. We checked in and immediately went to our room which was on the 2nd floor. The second we walked in the room had a terrible stale odor. We opened up the windows to try to air it out. All I can say is that it looked, smelled and felt like a hotel that was perfect for spring break kids. My entire family looked at me with silence. They all said they did not feel comfortable staying here. I have an 8 year old son, 5 year old son and my husband. We left for lunch and decided what to do. We usually try to stay in Courtyards or Residence Inn's but we decided to try this hotel. When we returned from lunch, I told the front desk clerk that we were not comfortable staying here and I wanted to cancel my reservation. He asked why and I told him I just wasn't comfortable. The hotel room was dirty, smelly and very low quality. They canceled my reservation and did not charge me even though we had already checked in. I would look for other hotels in the area. And the waitress at lunch told us that that part of town wasn't very safe. I would not recommend this hotel even though many have said great things about it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Wyandotte, Mich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2010

My wife and I (with our puppy) stayed for three nights before our month on Anna Maria Island. Everyone was friendly, the room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The furniture was deco and reminded us of old Florida. Thank You for making our stay feel warm and welcome!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2010

I stayed here FEB 2010, we visited Sarasota for the purpose of visting the Ringling Mansion and Museum. The hotel was pretty close to the Ringling Mansion. The hotel itself offered breakfast, but we did not get a chance to check that out. The room was on the 4th floor, spacious, clean and the bed was comfortable. We enjoyed our stay at La Quinta. I would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2010

stayed here one night for business. since it was only 1 night i didn't mind staying in a 2.5 star rather than a 3 star, but there was really not much difference between this and a regular 3 star. helpful and nice reception staff, very comfortable bed, cheerful and non-tacky decor. good internet access. surprisingly full continental breakfast--gone are the days of coffee and a danish counting as breakfast. the free toiletries at the desk is a nice touch--i forgot my toothbrush and while the LQ toothbrush was very basic, it got the job done. convenient location about 6 hours from the airport and 1 mile from main street. i also got a great deal because i booked through hotwire. i would definitely stay there again next time i'm in sarasota!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2010

This LQ hotel is at the top of the LQ chain of hotels. Updated, flat screen tvs, comfortable beds, clean, working refrigerators and microwaves, a bright start breakfast that is set out attractively with good variety, friendly staff at every level, great location, pet friendly, internet access in the room and computer/printer access in the lobby...what more can a traveler ask for? This is definitely a top-line LQ hotel and is at the top of my list!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
ST.LOUIS, MISSOURI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

Our stay was great. Staff was friendly, rooms were very clean and everything seemed very new. Continental breakfast was good, get there early though it gets crowded. Great location... Very close to Siesta Key Beach and to the Harbor. I recommend calling the Marina for boat ride, it was a great time, the kids loved it and so did we.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Coastal Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

I normally don't stay in La Quinta hotels, because of lack of quality. This hotel was pretty nice and I'd stay there again without a second thought. We had suite 410. The room was a good size and clean - cleaner than I thought it would be by a long shot. There were only two downfalls to our room. The first was the fact that the AC leaked causing the floor on the that side of the bed to be wet - soaked. We were there a week and I did report it only once in passing with our friendly housekeeper, no one showed to address it (now this could be because we kept the do not disturb sign in almost constantly). The other issue was that there was a huge wasp nest outside the window. If we had wanted to open it, we would have been attacked for sure. I thought it would have been nice to open the window to take some clear pics but didn't attempt since the nest was there. The staff was super friendly. Breakfast for me left a lot to be desired, but it was a nice setup for continental style. I had yogurt, while waffles were the choice of most others. There's a Subway next door so a quick meal is easily had there. Pets are welcome here so if you don't want to take the chance that some dog will be barking all night, you might want to ask for a room where no pets are staying nearby (we had no issues with the rarely heard barks). The decor is a bit outdated (to me), but overall this was a nice hotel and we'd stay again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business