“clean and comfortable”

Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Sarasota
south carolina
“clean and comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

This hotel was sooooo clean. The one bedroom suite was much more spacious than the usual hotel room and the kitchen was nice to have when we were tired of eating out. We've been traveling a lot looking at colleges and this was by far the cleanest place we stayed. It's located near the airport and very convenient if you have a car to drive downtown which is only a couple miles away. Staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2009

We booked two rooms through priceline for one night, we paid $42 + tax per night (total was $101 for both rooms with taxes and fees - priceline sells this hotel as a 2.5 star in the airport area). The regular room rate was $134 plus tax, so this was quite a bit of savings. Yes, the rooms are a little outdated, they show the wear, but the price was fabulous, parking was free, there is a free use computer in the hallway across the reception desk, staff was nice and checked us in early, and the breakfast was great - they had eggs, potatoes, patties, biscuits, muffins, bagels, waffles (make your own waffles), orange and apple juice, free coffee all day. We also attended the manager's special, where they had soup and salad, and tap beer and wine, the food was quite stingy and there was a separate table set up with more consistent food in a separate hallway where we could see some "special guests" enjoying a different, richer meal, which was a little annoying, it felt wrong. But other than that, for the price, great value - thanks to priceline.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank aprata
Princeville, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

We rented several rooms here for a family wedding. We were greeted promptly and checked in easily. The rooms were spotless and the breakfasts were delicious and plentiful. The pool was heated and very enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Norcross, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2008

It was my third stay at this property and I am puzzled by the negative reviews. I came with my mom in December, by myself in May and with my husband in June. All three times I couldn't find anything signficant to complain about. The location is perfect at 2 miles from my uncle who I come often to visit. The breakfast is delicious and plentiful with lots of variety. My room was always cleaned impeccably. The furnishings are somewhat outdated but I think that's hardly worth mentioning. I always got a good night's sleep. Having a computer in the lobby for guest use was very helpful. The front desk staff was extremely accomodating with our receipt and sending of faxes. My mother is very fussy and didn't complain. That is saying a lot!! Frankly I really wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Sarasota.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank PeachTraveler
Mooresville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2008

To start my review, let me set the context. We were a family of three, with our son being 17 months old. We wanted something with 2 rooms so he could nap, as well as providing us w/ some extra space. The Residence Inn fit the bill, but I was a bit worried because there weren't glowing reviews here. But the location was great, & the plane noise wasn't mentioned much.

Ok, my review. The facility is literally right across the street from the SRQ airport, which made it easy to get our baby to bed right away for his afternoon nap. The facility is well kept, & the check in was quick. The staff was friendly here & at every time we encountered them. The room was basic, but nice & clean w/ all the amenities advertised. The mattresses in the beds are amazing...we're looking into buying one (Jamison brand). We heard maybe 5 planes the whole time we were there (5 days), & that was during the afternoon. Trust me 100%...you will never know you are that close to an airport.

The breakfast buffet is better than most chains, & the community space is well appointed. The pool is nice, & our baby enjoyed it. They had 3 pool noodles there that he liked to throw into the water. It is heated, so always pleasant to jump into. Plenty of chairs, tables, etc.

On our first day there, a huge egret (crane-like bird) flew in & did a stare-down w/ our baby...it was funny. It got within 5 feet at one point. There was always plenty of parking.

The location is fantastic...5 minute drive to downtown, maybe 15 minutes to the beaches. I enjoyed Lido Beach the best. There are small rock jetties there that have tropical fish amongst them. Bring your snorkeling mask! We also went to Turtle & Venice beach, but they weren't as nice. The bay front park is great, especially if you have kids. We went there 4 times & our son always enjoyed himself.

In summary, I would highly recommend this hotel. We found it to be clean & well appointed. The decor was a bit dated, perhaps, but it wasn't "run down" or anything like that. And each suite had 2 TVs, 2 phones, & I was able to pick up the wifi Internet so I never had to use the cabled Ethernet in the room.

As a footnote, if you're going to buy groceries (since the suites have a kitchen), there are nice grocery stores down University Parkway (take a right when leaving the hotel). The Publix has tons of baby/child gear including pool/beach stuff. And by all means, eat at Mi Pueblo by the Publix supermarket (and have their sangria), & do NOT eat at Primo Italian restaurant. Mi Pueblo is lightning fast & great for kids, not to mention delicious. Primo is in all the brochures & we tried it thinking we could get thin crust pizza. It sux...don't do it. Feel free to email me if you have questions about the area.

• Liked — facilities & location
  • Disliked — distance to beaches
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank saibot
NEW JERSEY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

Stayed here for one week in April and everythig was positive. Went back in August and had nothing but problems. Room next to noisy pool/barbecue area - moved us upstairs to a room that door lock did not work. Saw a locked door in bedroom and wondered where it went to - that night we found out - behind the door was air conditioner and it woke us all night when it would go on with a bang.
Checked out the next morning and desk clerk did not ask why we were checking out 4 days early. Moved on - - -

• Liked — Free breakfast, cocktails in evening
  • Disliked — Lack of concern why we were checking out early
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DOOPER1
Berkeley, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2007

So I've been a resident at this hotel for the past two summers (this one included) and am amazed at how far it has sunk in less than a year. One of the first things I noticed was the general cleanliness of the hotel. In terms of the maid service, it's just not as thorough as it was, probably because the housekeeping head no longer checks behind their staff. While it's nothing big, it can be frustrating to have to go and collect paper towels, toilet paper, etc. on your own when it should have already been handled. Also, it seems like many times the staff wouldn't bother to vacuum the room or do a haphazard job of it. However, the cleaning woman who takes care of my new room (more on that in a minute) is excellent and does an incredibly thorough and thoughtful job. So, it looks like maid service can be pretty hit-or-miss.

Also, another issue is that of pets. Although it’s not necessarily the hotel’s fault, it’s annoying to be woken up by a barking dog early in the morning. Either the pets or cleaning supplies used for them leaves a medicinal smell in the halls which can become pretty nauseating after a while. Just hope a rambunctious dog isn’t in the suite adjacent to yours.

At the beginning of my stay, a boiler overflowed next to my room, soaking one side of the carpet next to my bed. Upon letting the hotel staff know, they offered to change my room but I told them I'd rather them just vacuum up the water if possible. When I got home from work, I found that it had soaked my entire room as the day wore on, rendering many of my things soggy, to the point of ruining some of them. The maintenance staff (who are very friendly and helpful) had vacuumed up the water on one side of the bed but missed the rest that stretched all the way under the bed, through the closet, and to the bathroom. I ended up moving to avoid the eventual moldy smell and got another room. I was offered a free night's stay for my trouble, but they ended up checking me out instead, which just caused more headaches the next day. Within a day in my new room, I ended up having an air conditioner get clogged and start to flood my room again. By this point, I was fed up and soaked up the mess myself until maintenance could look at it. The maintenance staff was very fast in helping solve the issue before it got too out of hand.

In terms of the rooms themselves, everything is really beginning to show its age. The refrigerator in my room makes a horrible rattling sound when it's cooling that's loud enough to wake me up. One of the burners on the stove doesn't work and there's a horrible smell coming from the drains in the sink and shower. It smells like rotting garbage and I smell it every time I'm taking a shower or even when on the sofa. Maintenance and a bottle of bleach couldn't kill it, but by this point I was too brow-beaten to change rooms again. Also, don’t expect to use the sofa bed if you want a good night’s rest. It’s the equivalent of sleeping directly on a bed of metal springs.

The front desk staff is very friendly on the whole, save for one of the staff members who spends more time on breaks then he does behind the desk. Unfortunately, since he works the peak times (afternoon to early evening), I've dealt with him the most. He's rarely behind the counter, either out on a smoke break, talking on his cell phone, or nowhere to be found. It's not uncommon to wait 10 minutes for him to show up and I've seen potential guests leave because they can't get any assistance. He's also prematurely checked me out of my room, which has happened twice, and although he fixed it promptly, it's still frustrating to deal with.

All in all, I can't recommend this hotel. The little things just begin to mount up after a while (no tv channel listings in the rooms, etc.). However, they received a new manager within the past month who seems to be striving to turn the hotel around. She seems to be fixing some of the issues I've noticed fairly quickly, so hopefully the hotel will start to turn-around.

Bottom line: For the money, you can do much better than the Residence Inn, at least for now. Sarasota is a beautiful place, so don’t let this hotel taint your stay. Maybe in a few months it will be a different story.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Room flooding twice
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business