“Very disappointed in this place” 2 of 5 bubbles

Got a photo?
Add it.
Zeno's
Ottawa, Canada
“Very disappointed in this place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

First - be aware that there is also a Zeno's listed as at 267 US Highway 27 N in Sebring - this present review has nothing whatsoever to do with the outlet on Hwy 27 N, but strictly the one on Sun 'n Lake Blvd. To add to the confusion, the Zeno's on Sun 'n Lake is also found listed on the net under its former name of "Floridino's" - it also shows the same phone number for both Floridino's and the Sun 'n Lake Zeno's.
We went to Zeno's for a supper-time meal, and it was already dark. There is no illuminated sign to tell you where Zeno's is located. It is in a small strip mall and the boulevard sign out front identifies it as "Floridino's". Only an unlighted canvas drop sign to one side of the door reveals that you have found Zeno's.
We were part of a party of twelve, which ordered several different entrees, and one of the entrees was ordered as "mild" by one person, and "hot" by another. Zeno's provides glasses, allows you to bring your own wine, but does not sell wine. One of our party ordered coffee, and when it was served then she was informed that Zeno's had no coffee creamer or milk, either natural or artificial, of any kind - they ran out and management apparently did not think it worth while sending an employee out to at least buy a bottle of milk for customers' coffees that evening. We knew things were getting a little strange when the servers brought out the meals and were heard debating between each other as to what each entree might actually be - they couldn't tell from the appearance. The problem became more obvious as the meals were served since people with the identical order received servings that were quite different in appearance since some were overcooked to the point where they bore little resemblance to another, supposedly identical, offering. The servers had no idea who had ordered what, and were unsure of the identity of the dishes anyway, so we had a bit of a problem getting the meals we had ordered. The "mild" version and "hot" versions of two of our otherwise identical orders were reversed, much to the consternation of the one who had ordered the "mild".
The palatability of the meals was uniformly disappointing. Members of our party who had eaten here previously, and had recommended the place, expressed shock at the poor quality of the offerings. The calzone that I had appeared overcooked in my unexpert opinion, being a dark brown and dry, had little filling and apparently had lost a portion of whatever filling it originally had by having been burst open before it was put on the plate. I am a hearty eater, but did not finish my calzone because of the poor quality.
On a final note, the place was dirty. I have never described a restaurant as dirty in any previous review - but this one was dirty to the point that the edge of the door between the two sections of the restaurant had a black set of handmarks running from a foot below the doorknob to about 16 inches above it. I'm not talking about a few fingerprints, but rather a comprehensive layer of filth.
I will not be providing a followup report since I have no intention of returning. I have waited several days before filing this review so that I could develop a little perspective to my reporting, rather than doing it without due consideration. I do not recommend the location. Pricing can be found on the menu, for which I have provided a link below.
Menu at http://legacy.ybsitecenter.com/images/cdr/var/aw/45755/1426283-Menu.pdf