“A different spin on a king room”

Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa East (Casino Area)
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Seffner
North Charleston, South Carolina
“A different spin on a king room”
Reviewed 15 March 2006

This hotel is conveniently located just off of I4 at exit 10 -- about a 15 minute drive to Ybor City (where we ate dinner one night). There is a Bob Evans next door and a Cracker Barrell across the side street, in addition to two large gas station/rv/truck stops (seemed a little nicer than your average truck stop).

Half of the rooms face the highway, but the road noise was minimal. Next time I would request a room facing away from the road, though.

There is a large, well-lit breakfast room with the standard Hampton Inn fare: a couple of different types of coffee, different breakfast breads, cinnamon biscuits, cereal, fruit, yogurt, juices, and some sort of hot item (such as french toast sticks or sausage gravy). They were a little slow to empty the trash cans and both were overflowing. As we left, the attendant was getting to it.

I am a HHonors Gold but was not offered an upgraded room (there were suites available). I didn't ask either. I was given a bottle of water and a bag of salty snacks at check in. There was another bottle of water and a bag of m&ms in the room, too (as my HHonor welcome gift).

Parking was pretty easy, though there was a church group of kids there that probably took up lots of rooms but had very few cars.

Doors are locked at 10 pm and require either a room key or a call to the front desk from the access phone in order to enter.

Our room was on the fourth floor (the top floor). The elevators were quick. Our floor (and I assume each floor) had a vending area off of the elevator area (and behind closed doors to keep any noise out of the rooms).

The door lock was different -- you had swipe your keycard instead of sticking it in and pulling it out. Worked well... just different than I had seen before.

We had a king bed in the room and were very surprised that instead of walking in the room and seeing the bed on the long wall, it was on the short wall that is shared with the bathroom! The TV was in a corner unit next to the window and had an "uplight" that you could leave on when watching TV (instead of a totally dark room). My only complaint about it was that the switch for it was next to the front door of the room.

There was enough room on each side of the bed for a night stand. The lights were easy to switch (rocker switches), but because they were so bright I had to swing them away from me.

There was a small microwave and refrigerator (it was new and quiet at night) in a small "armoire" of sorts that looked built just for those two appliances.

There was a bench at the end of the bed that was convenient for putting on your shoes. We moved the luggage rack into the main room area, and still had lots of room. We thought there was enough room for an easy chair and ottoman. There was a work table and chair, as well as a second chair pulled up to the table.

The temperature was controlled by a thermostat on the wall near the bed, not on the unit itself.

The bed was particularly comfy with 4 fluffy pillows and a small "lumbar" pillow. There was a duvet cover/comforter and a mattress topper, too.

In the bathroom there was no tub -- just a tub-sized shower. Unfortunately, there was no seat in the shower, so there was no where to rest my leg when trying to shave. Since I recently had back surgery, I couldn't bend over for that long, so I had to sit on the floor of the shower in order to get that done. Also, there aren't enough places in the shower stall to put stuff -- there was one soap holder and one small corner shelf. I had no where to put my razor or to hang my washcloth. The shower doors had towel racks on them and there were 3 large robe hooks next to the shower. The shower stall seemed to be made of some sort of solid surfacing, like Corian. The shower pressure and shower head were great. Unfortunately, that same central Florida crappy water came out -- too much sulfer for me!

The vanity area was very modern, with granite countertops and a higher-than-normal counter height. The sink area jutted out as well. Towels and extra TP were stored in open shelving under the sink. I would've liked to see at least one towel rack near the sink so I could hang a hand towel after I used it instead of just lying it on the counter. There was a standard hotel hairdryer, and it included a nightlight. There was one other plug available at the sink area.

Behind the sink was an open cabinet built into the wall. It contained the coffee maker and coffee supplies. Hampton has done away with the glass-carafe 4 cup style coffee maker and instead uses a one-cup brewing system. Finish on this woodwork looked cheap.

There was a separate switch for the bathroom's exhaust fan (which is funny, since it was so quiet you could barely tell it was on).

There is a small pool on the backside of the hotel (we didn't use it, but the church group kids seemed to be enjoying it).

There was a small "pantry" next to the front desk that carried some basic necesseties. You pay at the front desk.

Unlike some other Hamptons I've been to lately, the amentities in the bathroom were plentiful and include 2 soaps, shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, mouthwash, and shower cap.

We would definitely stay at this property again. This was a reward stay for us. We saw the bill that showed what they charge Hilton HHonors for the room -- $15/night.

• Stayed March 2006
9 Thank Xine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seffner
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Tampa East
Comfort Suites at Fairgrounds - Casino
Hilton Garden Inn Tampa East/Brandon
Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa - North
Quality Inn & Suites Near Fairgrounds Ybor City
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites New Tampa I-75 Bruce B. Downs

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Tampa East (Casino Area)? Share your experiences!