“#2 most beautiful beach in US 2009”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Siesta Beach

Siesta Beach
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Siesta Key
More attraction details
Owner description: Public swimming beach known for its clean, hard-packed sand.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Sarasota, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“#2 most beautiful beach in US 2009”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

White, pristine, wide beaches that don't get hot when you walk on. Tranquility by the Gulf of Mexico. We're well-traveled and Siesta Key is one of the most beautiful beaches comparable to Hawaii!

1 Thank bfamous2

Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

We spent an evening at Siesta Key beach (to avoid sunburns) and I highly recommend it for kids. Our 5-year old had a ball in the sand. We also visited Turtle Beach (to get away from the crowds on Memorial Day) and Venice Beach (for shelling), and she was much more interested in playing in the sand at Siesta. No red tide problems while we were there.

WARNING - we attempted to get to Point of Rocks and Crescent Beach to do some snorkeling. The local tourist publication mentions that there are "limited" parking spaces. Make that 0 parking spaces. The area along Crescent St. by the entrance has no parking signs. Also, as we were looking for the entrance, we were harassed by a local driver with road rage - it was so scary I initiated a call to 911 but stopped when he sped off. Don't even attempt to go there unless someone can drop you off or you want to walk from Siesta Key beach.

1 Thank Missourimom86
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“The most beautiful sand I have ever seen at Siesta Key”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2009

Ahh..... Siesta!

After checking out the fishing pier at the Skyway Fishing Pier State Park, I headed south in search of more beautiful gulf coast beaches like the one I left in Clearwater. My plan was to follow the coast as closely as possible and stop at any beach that seemed interesting. As luck would have it, my first stop would turn out to be one of the most fantastic beaches I saw in Southwest Florida. Siesta Key Public Beach on Siesta Key in Sarasota. This beach I just happened upon turns out to be number three on Dr.Beach's top 10 list this year, and one that is regularly featured on the Travel Channel.
Just six miles to the west of I-75 taking exit 205 are these beaches with the softest sand you have ever felt in your life...sugar fine and as soft as baby powder. Cool to the touch even on the sunniest of days, the sand is nearly 100% quartz and a blinding brilliant white that reflects the heat of the sun. I walked the long beach access #7 path barefoot without the slightest discomfort. Calm, shallow, crystal clear blue water lapped onto the shore that was packed hard enough to ride my beach cruiser on. Very little seaweed or debris was on the shore, making this the perfect beach and sand for building sandcastles. In fact I just missed the annual sand sculpture contest they have the first weekend in May by only a couple of days. (See pictures of the beach at www.bit.ly/beachexaminer)
All the beaches in Florida are public, but you can only get to them by proper granted access. Siesta Key Public Beach had some of the best public access I have seen. There is a huge parking lot (800 spaces) with excellent facilities at Siesta Public Beach. There are bathrooms with showers, concession stands, volleyball courts, covered picnic tables and a playground for the kids. Parking is free there and at the other smaller beach access lots spaced very frequently along the length of the key. You can also bring your coolers filled with the beverages of your choice onto the beach here. Alcohol is not prohibited on the beaches in Sarasota County, but glass is. If you decide to stay for more than just a day, there are many lodging options with everything from motels to extended stay condos.

3 Thank FloridaBeachBarbie
Winter Garden, Florida
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“one of the best beaches..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2009

This is probably one of the best beaches in Florida I have ever been to. The sand is like powdered sugar and the water is crystal and clear.
There are washrooms, a concession with food you can order or vend and even hair wraps for the kids. There were quite a bit of people the day we visited but there is a lot of room to find the perfect spot. We even went shelling and found pieces of sand dollars all around.
This is definitely a great beach.

4 Thank raisinette
Brilynn1979
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“My favorite Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

The signs make it easy to locate. Ample Free parking is available. The sand is amazing-soft, white, and powdery. They are affected by Red Tide, but this visit I did not find it to be a problem. A great place for a walk, run, or game of football. I love to pack a picnic, a good book, and a bottle of wine for sunset.

1 Thank Brilynn1979