“Fabulous family vacation”

Hyatt Siesta Key Beach Resort, A Hyatt Residence Club
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Siesta Key
“Fabulous family vacation”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Our family of four stayed at the Hyatt the last week of July. We had a great vacation. The rooms were beautiful, clean and huge. Nice extras in room: big showers, full size kitchen with everything you need, Nespresso and Breville coffee makers.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. Anything you needed they were there for you.
Location on the beach and a little outside of the village was perfect for a relaxing stay. The beach was beautiful, white sand and beach chairs and umbrellas for your use. The pool was cleaned and plenty of towels provided. Nice at night to see the sunset and have s'mores at the firepit.
It is definitely worth more to stay at this beautiful resort. We would stay here anytime we visit Siesta Key.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Missyjf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Perfect accommodations for a family. Beautifully decorated, extremely comfortable beds, tons of room and gourmet kitchen. We were in heaven on the beach. We will definitely return and soon!! Almost hate to share this gem! :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank COtravelfam04
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel around the second week of July and we loved it. We stayed in a gulf view suite with three bedrooms, three bathrooms, a kitchen/family room, and a den with a pull out couch that transformed the suite into 4 bedrooms. Overall, the hotel was amazing! The view was incredible (especially at sunset) and the amenities were unreal. Every room was clean, spacious, fresh, modern and truly luxurious. Every appliance was high quality and all that one would expect from a highly rated beach resort. We spent our 4 days on the beach, in the water, hanging around the room, in the fitness room, or touring the city of Sarasota. The kitchen is fully stocked with all the appliances one could need and there was enough room for all of our groceries. The sand is white and cool and the water is tinted teal. The hotel offers several activities such as paddle boarding, kayaking, or even just making s'mores by the fire pit. Most of the staff members were friendly and the atmosphere was great. I only have a few complaints that kept this hotel from being absolute perfection: The breakfast was mediocre. It consisted of some stale muffins, chewy bagels, 3 different cereals and some yogurt. This was not that big of a deal though because we bought breakfast foods from the grocery store nearby so we were able to eat in the room. The one thing that really surprised me and turned me off was the flooding in front of the hotel! After some rain, the one street used to access the front door of the hotel was completely flooded and several feet deep! We were planning a trip to the aquarium and out to dinner but there was no other way to leave the hotel for about 5 hours! Not only was this a massive and apparently reoccurring inconvenience but it seemed like a pretty big safety hazard -- how could anyone get out/get in if there was some sort of emergency!?
Besides this though, the hotel was fantastic and I highly recommend it! It's hard to even make those complaints considering how amazing everything else was. We will definitely return!

5 Thank Amy C
usa
Reviewed 22 July 2013

ok, we booked here based upon the sterling reviews. upon arrival first impressions were good. 15 minutes later it began going down hill. as I walked out to the balcony something told me to look down when I suddenly saw a nice little one inch sharp shard of glass from the stem of a wine glass lying right there on the floor. my first reaction was anger because my one year old son had just crawled on the floor near there. after an alert to my wife (who immediately put shoes on our 3 and 5 year olds and quarantined my son) I got on my hands and knees. lo and behold another piece of glass near the kitchen. after the requisite calls and multiple discussions with multiple people as well as 3 vacuum cleaners later we were offered a measly 100 off per night (we paid 700 for each night in one of their ocean view rooms- this is the average). we stayed only because other family was coming and have not vacationed with them in over 8 years. I found the attempt at reparation rather measly and cheap.

notes:

the baseboards had cobwebs and dirt and dust.
dust all over the non-master room end tables and headboards and shelves.
candy wrappers under one bed
paper under another bed
no light on the balcony
stale muffins and cheap jam at the continental breakfast
road in front of hotel floods easily (WARNING)- it gets 4 feet deep!!!!!!!!! during these downpours they need to flatbed guests cars in!!! this occurs frequently enough that they actually have an on call arrangement with a specialized towing company. I ventured out myself to prove how deep it got and only did so because I have a range rover. flooding became drivable for other guests about 5 hours later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pool service is non existent. bartender makes drinks, orders your food, and walks it out to you (if he is not busy, otherwise you have to keep going back to check if the food is there)
tv is satellite- remotes don't work well and channels go in and out. no rentable movie service. they have a few dvd's for checkout at front desk only (yes you are paying over 500 a night at this place for the cheapest room)
I am an audiophile and even I could not get the BOSE system in the living area to work.
cabana pool area flooded with just an average summer afternoon florida shower
it took over 4 hours for the flooding to recede
what little beach service is available is terrible- they take the umbrellas up and down for every rain (don't ask me why), they had the audacity to move our stuff off one of the tables in order to take another one back in a full hour before they were supposed to put the beach chairs way.

conclusion:

they don't clean
they have major logistical issues with the flooding and beach service with little oversight and too much control given to the whim of the 20 somethings that work there part time
overpriced. overpriced. over priced.
would not do again. EVER.

other things- can't exactly blame the hotel for these but beware:

beach sand is irregular in quality. some rather uncomfortable areas of heavy broken shells that are unpleasant and treacherous to walk on especially for little feet. my wife cut her foot on one the last day. we found a broken glass bottle in 3 feet of water (what is it with sharp things at this place?)
curtains do not block out the sun enough (no sunblock curtains but they spent 10K on a wolf gas range)

say something nice:

staff was friendly.
nespresso coffee (even if there was only one espresso cup in the room)
very nice showers a rap star could be happy with
very comfortable and nice master bedroom bed
gourmet kitchen (no one in their right mind would use when they are actually on vacation)
key west-like atmosphere down the street on ocean blvd

I would not go back to this place even if they offered it for free.

seriously people- what is it with the overloaded positive reviews of this place and NO ONE has mentioned the flooding? the valet even told us it was a regular problem. what would happen in case an ambulance needed to get in?

perspective for other reviewers. it is easy to get enamoured by the sunsets but you can enjoy those from any of 1000 hotels on the east cost of florida, don't review a hotel based on those. I think that if people actually focused on the details I would have been able to avoid this place.
PS- rooms of my family members were not much cleaner (glass excepted).

18 Thank colette_m
HSKB-HRG, General Manager at Hyatt Siesta Key Beach Resort, A Hyatt Residence Club, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay here with us. The Residences on Siesta Key Beach is a private residence club and hence a very unique property due to its whole and fractional ownership. With that said, our ladies and gentlemen take pride in the services they provide and certainly your last experience was not indicative of their efforts. Please rest assured that all issues have been addressed with our ladies and gentlemen as there is a great level of accountability to make sure our service standards are consistent throughout the property.

Just to review a couple of items in further detail: Lights are not allowed in any balcony due to the nesting of sea turtles on Siesta Key, cleanliness issues are unacceptable and have been addressed, beach and pool food service is staffed in accordance with the current recreation budget which has been adjusted due to the whole ownership component of our property. The TV system is a satellite driven program and changes in the current system will take place shortly. The flooding is very evident throughout Siesta Key as well as other barrier islands simply due to the sea level, tidal times, etc. The natural beauty of the beach has to remain untouched as part of our natural environment, raking of the beach is only allowed on a monthly basis as scheduled by the County.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and please feel free to call my office so we may discuss any further questions or concerns you may have.
Bothell, Washington
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Hyatt, Siesta Key was one of the great experiences that we had in a while! It is right on the beach with lots and lots of amenities. We were in a 3 bedroom suite with 5 ppl and we had great ocean views and fun activities. Will stay here again and again! they have won me over!

4 Thank prasclemson
Windermere, Florida, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt for a mini-vacation and absolutely loved it. The location is easy to drive to and right on the beach. The rooms are beautiful! Because it is a residence inn/condo it has lots of room to move around in. The kitchen had Wolf, Viking and Fisher-Paykel appliances. It comes equipped with dishes, utinsils and anything you could need while you are there. The master suite is spectacular! Lots of room in the bedroom and the bathroom is divine! It has a bathtub similar to the Kohler BubbleMassage tub and the shower has 4 overhead 'rain' showerheads along with a regular showerhead and a moveable showerhead. 2 sinks and the bidet toilet seat.

The resort has direct beach access. They set up plenty of chairs and umbrellas for everyone and will set up more if needed. The beach itself is really nice. The ocean on the gulf side of Florida doesn't have big waves. The water is really warm and the waves are relaxing. Because the waves are calmer kayaking and paddleboarding are really popular and the resort has kayaks and paddleboards to use. We brought inflatable tubes and our boogie boards to float on in the ocean. Playing frisbee and football was fun too. We brought kites to fly taking advantage of the ocean breezes. Sunset on the beach was spectacular. The pool looked nice but we didn't use it. The hot tub was made to look like a tropical grotto and had a waterfall going into it. There was a lot of seating around the firepit. You can purchase S'Mores kits from the front desk. The kits come with sticks, graham crackers, good chocolate and marshmallows.

We will definitely stay here again...

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room. It is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Shawna H
Ocala, Florida, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Let me just start with saying; I wished I was still there! The Hyatt was like my title says.... Paradise. We were only planning to stay for a night, which we stayed in a room that did not have an ocean view, but the villa was simply amazing. Everything was high tech, stylish, and meticulously clean. Fortunately my schedule opened up to where we were able to stay another night. Paying just a little more for the second night, we got an ocean view room, and that was just stunning! I can not speak highly enough for this resort. It was simply amazing to say the least. Once I am able to get back to Siesta Key again, my choice will be the Hyatt Residence Club hands down!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Siesta Beach Resort & Suites
Siesta Beach Resort & Suites
#12 of 12 in Siesta Key
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach

Been to Hyatt Siesta Key Beach Resort, A Hyatt Residence Club? Share your experiences!