“Flashback time”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Siesta Key
ohio
“Flashback time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2008

This place is amazingly clean!! The staff especially Debbie is very cheery and upbeat. The walk to the beach is not to bad. But the hotel itself is a "flashback" to the Florida of the 60's. No internet, odd room setups, a hairdryer that belongs in a musuem . Bathoorms set up very odd and hard to use. Kitchens well equipped but our stove door opened into the wall . Walls VERY thin you can hear the microwave next door ding. A/C, fan's kept the room pleasant. Would have liked having daily maid service though you can pay for one. LOTS OF RULES!!!!!! Where to park, how to get clean towels, turn on the TV, how the room needs to be left when you go out for the day etc.. No ice maker on property though ice cubes trays. No vending machines and no place in the area for a drink,snack etc.. The pool was clean and warm but shared by many hotels so overcrowding can be a problem. You have to rent chairs/umbrellas on the beach which is pretty pricey go buy some cheap ones . 9:30 check out is pretty early. Other guests very friendly and seems to be alot of repeat customers. The price is pretty good all things considered just be prepared to think about vacations to Flordia with your parents in the 60's...

Stayed November 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
IPisa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2008

My wife and I spent there 6 nights in July 2008. The resort is nice and located at walking distance from the beach (less than 5 minutes) but we do not share the enthusiasm with other reviews.
We stayed at Jane’s Junction, that is in a double beds room and we found many disadvantages in the Resort organization and in the room itself.
Air conditioning worked well but with an incredible noise (almost impossible to hear the TV!)
No free wireless or LAN internet connection (LAN was available at cost of 6$/day). No daily room cleaning (a 10$/hour cleaning is offered). No safe box in the Room neither in the reception.
A big TV screen, but most of channels at payment (impossible to use for no connection). No sufficient space in the room for a comfortable view or a relaxing (sitting in the chairs or lying on the bed). A big window on the patio side but only very heavy curtains to maintain the privacy … at the dark! The only relax available: out of the door, but in a full of mosquito’s area.
The swimming pool was free, but shared with many other resorts and noise and confusion were unavoidable.
In summary: a nice location but this resort didn’t meet the expectations

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank massimoIPisa
Okeechobee, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2008

Thank you so much for a wonderful experience at your beach resort. I cannot say enough about how clean the apartment was not to mention how friendly the staff was, especially Debbie, who helped us so much with our lodging reservations. The rooms were spacious and the beds were very comfortable, even the pull-out couch! The pool was very clean and good sized. It was just a short walk to the beautiful Crescent Beach through lovely, lush landscaping. I spent my childhood growning up in Sarasota, and spending time on Crescent Beach brought back such happy childhood memories of much time spent right on that very beach. The conch shells weren't as big as they were back then, but the beach is just as pristine. My husband and I would recommend this resort to anyone wanting a relaxing vacation. We do plan to return as soon as possible for a longer stay.

R. T. and Judy Sheeler, Okeechobee, Fl

Stayed June 2008
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

My husband and I just returned from a lovely one night stay at The Captiva Beach Resort. Our room was named Gabriella's Getaway and while it was quite small, it was very, very clean and efficient. The bathroom was spotless and recently renovated. The beach is spectacular! The courtesy of the check-in staff and the politeness of the owner made our getaway memorable. I will return....and I will recommend this place to our friends and family.

Stayed May 2008
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2008

We just returned from our trip to Sarasota and I had to write this review for the Captiva Beach Resort. We just loved it. It was a great place to stay if you want to be right near the beach. It was a bit more affordable than a lot of places and it is right by the beach. You have to walk to the beach but you do not cross any roads. To see the walk to the beach, they have a great feature on their website that lets you take that walk. I found this to be true to the actual walk. The room we reserved was the "Gabrielle"- the smallest room. It was small but for 2 people it was fine. It had a full kitchen but a smaller fridge. Again, for 2 people and a shorter stay it was fine. It might be difficult if you were staying all week or longer and wanted to cook a lot. They had a grill that you could use right outside the unit also. The place was very, very clean. We felt like they took pride in this place. They provided all dishes and cups, beach towels and bath towels, coffee maker and filters and a blow dryer. No coffee though. I was expecting at least a sample to get us through the first day. No samples. Bring your own. Also bring your own blow dryer. The one they have is fine- it works but I have never ever seen one this old. I swear it is from the 1940's or something. It worked, startlingly well for how old it looked but it was hot to hold in your hand after a bit of use. It wasn't as strong either I didn't think. I don't know if they have that model in all the rooms but if it is important to you- bring your own. They also had enough tp and tissue and the usual sample of bath soap (one for the tub, one for the sink). However, they only had 1 shampoo sample. No conditioner. No, the shampoo wasn't a shampoo/conditioner. I was glad I brought my own. They are a "green" hotel according to the owners and it seemed to be true. We were happy to participate in this. The owners by the way were wonderful and very helpful. They actually walk you to your room upon arrival, help you with your keys and working the t.v. remote and show you the amenities. About the beach- beautiful white sand but a bit crowded. We were surprised. It was a holiday weekend though so I don't know what is like normally. We were also surprised as it seemed that beach chairs would be provided on the beach. They cost $6 a day to rent. Bring your own if possible or buy a set of cheap ones if you will be there more than a day. They have ones at the grocery (Publix is where we went) for $10. Use it for a day and a half and it paid for itself! Umbrellas also cost- I think it was $5 or $10- not sure. Again, bring your own or buy a cheapo one if you are there for more than a couple of days. They had a nice pool but we didn't end up going in it- why would you with such a gorgeous beach? Parking was fine but we only had 1 car. I think if you have 2 it may be difficult. Not sure how you would work that out as it was tight. You might want to ask about that if it is a concern. That's it- it was great!

• Liked — clean, simple, close to beach, old florida charm
  • Disliked — fees for internet access, no coffee, fees for beach chairs/umbrellas
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2008

My family loved this place. From the beautiful grounds, the cleanliness, the staff and the serenity this place offered we will never stay any place else when we visit Siesta. Our family have stayed at different resorts in Sara Sea Circle, and what we liked the most was, we felt truly welcomed here. The staff went out of there way to make our trip one of a kind. The rooms were very comfortable, but most of all I have never stayed where cleanliness and comfort were the top priority. It was the little things they did, like mapping out for us where to go for dinner or having sand toys at our front door when our five year old arrived. We loved the tile floors and we loved those pillowtop beds they offer. I wanted to take it home with me. We truly felt as if we really were in paradise. Before we left we booked one of there larger suites for our entire family to come during the Christmas holidays for 2 weeks. We are counting the days!!!

• Liked — Very inviting and relaxing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

During the past 3 years, my husband & I have stayed at 2 other properties on SaraSea Circle and I must say this hotel was a disappointment. For 2 nights, we stayed in Jane's Junction. First of all, the prices are much higher than other properties. Second, I've never been in a smaller bathroom... from the toilet seat, I stretched out my arm over the sink & touched the wall... approximately 4 ft wide. Then a tiny, I mean tiny, shower with a shower head that an average person (I'm 5'5") had to duck down to wash my hair. I must say the closet area was huge but the space could have been utilized more efficiently. The kitchen was moderately spaced with an enormous refrigerator. But when opening the fridge door, I had to move the chairs to remove freezer items.

Other reviewers say the property is like Old Florida. Yes, the landscape is very lush & beautiful. But I couldn't sit outside without tiny gnats & mosquitoes crawling on me.

The last disappointment is the property is in desperate need of a decor redo. The walls are white with very dark furniture. The sleeper sofa was green leather. The valances & bedspread offered the only color in the room. The room darkening drapes are too short & off-white but does block outside noises. And the wall a/c unit circulation was blocked by the armoire. Overall, the room has a cold, unwelcoming feeling. Some wall color, updated valance & bedding, window shutters, & a more comfortable sofa would make the room much more home-like.

• Liked — The location on SaraSea Circle
  • Disliked — The overpriced rooms decor appears to have been decorated in the 1970s. Desperately needs updating.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Turtle Beach Resort
#6 of 12 in Siesta Key
Hyatt Siesta Key Beach Resort, A Hyatt Residence Club
Hibiscus Suites - Sarasota / Siesta Key

Been to Captiva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!