“30 years--Miguel is doing something right”

Miguel's Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 42 Restaurants in Siesta Key
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago, Illinois
1,585 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,843 helpful votes
“30 years--Miguel is doing something right”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Miguel's restaurant has been doing business in a hard-to-find corner of a small shopping mall on Siesta Key in Sarasota, Florida, for 30 years. He must be doing something right because you'd think a place located in such an out-of-the-way place would go unnoticed and out of business if the food wasn't good. Well, the food is very, very good. Chef/owner Gabriel Garcia presents a French continental cuisine. After eating so much fish for four weeks, I decided to have a filet mignon, the only steak I've eaten during our entire vacation. It was excellent. My wife chose veal picatta for the third time in a week. Each night, she claimed the veal was better than the night before. Finally, she insisted Miguel's veal picatta was the best she has had. We topped off the evening by having bananas Foster prepared at our table. You usually don't see bananas Foster on a menu but we saw it three times within a week. Couldn't pass it up. Although neither version was caramelized, which we had the very first time we had the dessert and found it irresistible, each was excellent in its own right. Certainly not disappointing. Miguel's atmosphere is wonderful, too. It has to rank among the top five restaurants in the Sarasota area.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Taylor B

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Fabulous meal!!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

First time dining at Miguel's and how grand it was! The meal was superb, bit the little touches...fresh duck pate served complimentary once seated. Cold ice water poured with out having to ask.... Impeccable service! Wonderful specials and excellent veal! Definetly is on my radar upon return to Sarasota!,,

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank scislandgirl1803
Buffalo, New York
“Excellent food and service.”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I had a wonderful meal here chosen from the four course menu. Everything was cooked and seasoned to perfection. Our server "Egor" was very helpful and professional, which made our dining at Miguel's an even more enjoyable experience!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Anne Marie O
Bradenton, Florida
“Excellent Cuisine Affordably Priced in a Beautiful Setting”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Miguel’s Restaurant French & Continental Cuisine
6631 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta Key, FL 34242-2508
(941) 349-4024

Open 7 Days a Week Starting at 5:00 p.m. until Closing
Early Dinner Menu Served from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. (May–September)
Early Dinner Menu Served from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (October–April)

My wife and I dined for the first time at Miguel’s in late June 2014. We went with friends who are regulars there. I parked in the strip mall lot and we walked 80 feet to the entrance. [A ramp is thoughtfully provided for those not comfortable with three steps up.]

We arrived punctually for our 6:15 seating and were immediately pleasantly greeted and seated. The understated entrance is a single glass door in the corner of a small strip mall. However on entering, the ambience is quiet and beautiful. Drapes, carpeting, awnings, and wall décor give it an elegant aura. The experienced wait staff all wore black from neck to toe.

The full menu had ala carte pricing with entrees in the high teens to mid 30s. Their priced menus are posted on-line so you won’t be surprised. I saw from the menu that although we were early enough for the early menu we were seated 15 minutes late for the early drink specials.

We all opted for the early menu--five-course meals priced from $16 to $21. The five courses were:
• hot garlic rolls served with liver pâté and whipped butter
• appetizer or soup
• salad
• entrée with vegetables
• desert

While we were looking over our menus our waitress delivered a basket of eight delicious garlic rolls and a plate of liver pate and a bowl of whipped butter. It was an auspicious starter!

Three of us had the steamed clam appetizer. They consisted of four clams in shells served with a delicious sauce. The sauce also included some clams sans shell. One of us had an excellent soup.

My wife and I both ordered a “not-so-small” Beef Wellington at $21 each. Our friends ordered Veal Piccata at $18 each. [Our waitress said the Beef Wellington on the regular menu is somewhat larger.]

The mixed green house salads were fresh. There was a variety of lettuces, cherry tomatoes, red onions, and cucumbers. The salads were ample, beautiful, and the dressings had a delicious unique flavor. My wife and I ordered blue cheese dressing which was a combination of their creamy house dressing with blue cheese crumbles added. [When I got the bill I was surprised there was a 50-cent charge for each of our two blue cheeses. I thought it picayune to complain that our waitress had not mentioned there would be an up-charge.]

Our friends raved about their veal piccata and their serving size seemed generous.

Our Beef Wellingtons were delicious and not at all small. They appeared to be about seven ounces of tender tasty filet mignon. They were cooked medium rare just as we had ordered. The puff pastry and sauce inside were excellent. We each had a dish of brown sauce with sliced mushrooms on the side. I dipped a few bites before deciding to just pour the delicious sauce over the pastry and meat.

All of our entrees were accompanied with garlic mashed potatoes and a tasty vegetable medley.

Our friends had raved about the chocolate mousse desert and all four of us ordered it. Each mousse came in a ramekin 4-inches in diameter and 2-inches tall. The texture was smooth and silky. Heavy cream was tongue sensuous. The mousse flavor was an intense dark delicious chocolate unlike any I’ve tasted in my 73.5 years.

I will be pleased to make the 21 mile trip repeatedly to Miguel’s for their early bird seatings. My wife started naming couples who she thought will enjoy Miguel’s with us on their next visit. [I might even be persuaded to go after early bird but ordering ala carte grates against my 73.5 year-old parsimonious soul.]

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Sixyuz
Siesta Key, Florida
“Excellent”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I hadn't been here in many years and after going, I wondered why I had not been going there. The best restaurent on Siesta Key, in my opinion. Went with a couple of friends for early ird. They have a number of items in a four couse selection for under $20, including a small filet. a salmon dish and a lamb selection. Great food...fantastic service and atmosphere.....real quality.I will definitely be going more often.

• Visited May 2014