“Hit the spot”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Siesta Key
Wesley Chapel, Florida
“Hit the spot”
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Pros: Five of us Mothers went to Tropial Breeze Report and had a blast, enjoyed our special weekend while our husbands stayed home w/ the kids. It was well worth it. The place we stayed had alot of spaces and plenty of beds for us to sleep on. It was remodeled and came out beautiful. Loved it and will go back again in the future!

Cons: Futons weren't that comfortable and blankets stinks so I used just bed sheets I requested and slept OK. Suggest for you to bring your own pillows and blankets in case the blankets there aren't washed. King size bed, my friend mentioned was hard, not comforty. Other beds were OK. Everything was remodeled so it looked new except the futons had dents.

Overall - we aren't complained because we requested and got what we need in quick service.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 9 May 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel about 4 years ago when in town for a friend's wedding. We returned this past weekend to celebrate our own 1 year wedding anniversary...we had great memories of the property and were looking forward to staying there again.

Unfortunately, our room was horrible.
-There were no light fixtures on the ceilings, so there were either bare bulbs or empty, exposed sockets.
-There were spots on the wall that had been patched w/ drywall and hadn't been finished.
-The toilet was loosely screwed in, so it wobbled.
-There was mildew and mold everywhere in the bathroom, the walls (again) had been patched but not painted, and the light fixture was exposed.
-The fixtures were at least 20 years old and as cheap as they come.
-The window in the shower had been covered with cardboard and sealed with DUCT TAPE.

In a word? Gross. Another word? Ridiculous. We were appalled at the state of this room, so we spoke to the manager the next morning. He was apologetic, and explained that the hotel owner had recently purchased the units we were staying in, and had started renovations (but clearly hadn't finished them). It seems like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and there was poor communication. It's inexcusable, in my opinion, to let guests stay in a half-finished room with minimal amenities! Housekeeping did come and get rid of some of the mold, but that was like a bandaid. (The mgr did take $70 off of our room total, which was a nice gesture, but not enough in my opinion.)

Here are the pros: It's 1 block from the beach, and 1 block from all the restaurants and bars on the key. The location can't be beat. However, MAKE SURE you are reserved in a renovated room. The room we stayed in 4 years ago was lovely, and new, and clean. This room was completely disgusting, and so disappointing. It was our weekend to celebrate and relax, and all we wanted to do was leave the nasty room.

If they cannot guarantee you a renovated room, DO NOT STAY HERE! I wish we hadn't. There are better places for the same price.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katiefarmand
Marco Island, Florida
Reviewed 27 April 2010

We were meeting family here for a three night stay so I made a 5 hour round trip to inspect the property prior to making reservations. A member of the staff showed me the various cottages and rooms and I selected two specific room numbers that were close together with King-size beds and guaranteed the reservation with a credit card. When we arrived, they had sold our rooms. Many of the rooms that were left had only double beds which we refused. We finally ended up with two rooms that were two blocks apart. Our rooms had no "Guest Services Directory" outlining the various amenities so we were unaware that the resort would, upon recieving a phone call, bring lounge chairs down to the beach so we ended up just sitting on our towels on the sand. We shortened our stay to only two nights. Upon checking out, I discussed the above with Scott Overton, the General Manager. His attitude was very blunt and he said, "we don't guarantee specific room numbers". When I mentioned that we were not made aware of the lounge chair service, he said, "Our check-in times would be too long if we went over all of our amenities". When I told him that our room didn't have a Guest Service Directory, he said, "all of our rooms have directories." There was no apology for our inconveniences, no appreciation of our having made a 5 hour trip to inspect the property and no concern whatsoever that our family group ended up appx. 2 blocks apart. This is a cute property and very close to Siesta Beach but be aware of their reservation policy and general lack of concern for their guests.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank eustis59
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 24 April 2010

My husband and I used to travel every weekend from hotel to hotel as he coached hockey. We stayed in a TON of hotels. NONE of them were as bad as this. A better description of this "resort" would be old apartment buildings with absolutely NO VIEW of the ocean. First of all it took us almost 45 minutes to get from the Sarasota airport to the office as they use signs that look like realtor for sale signs to identify their different units which are spread all over and there are no directional signs at these locations to point you to the actual office. I had even ran a mapquest and that wasn't able to direct us to the office. After making 4-5 phone calls to the office and getting voice mail (this was about 7:00pm on a Saturday evening) somone finally answered the phone and was able to get us to the office. As we were checking in and he was showing us the map of their property to get us to our unit I could tell by the map that we weren't going to have the "ocean view" as promised when we were booking our room. I asked the employee if we had the correct unit as we were told we had an ocean view. He said "well in the daylight if you open your vertical blinds and stand at an angle you should be able to see the ocean between the large building on the corner and the buiding on the other corner. I specifically picked this "view" when I called to make the reservations and was given the choice between this $199/night room and a $150/night room. I was willing to pay an additional $250 for the view. I then asked if another, less expensive, room was available that didn't offer the ocean view and was told no. He informed us that there was one parking space marked for every unit but if someone parked in our space just to park "anywhere". We drove to our room and by this time it is dark. Our unit was a second floor unit that we had to walk up brick stairs to get to our room. There was no outside lighting which made this an accident waiting to happen. We walk past the first unit and could see exactly what they were doing as their vertical blinds didn't give them any privacy (as ours wouldn't either). We got in to our room and looked around. Our vertical blinds were missing at least one blind piece so we were going to have even less privacy than our neighbors. We turned on the TV and the screen was so dark you couldn't even make out what was on. Next, we went into the bedroom and noticed the window air conditioner was not completely attached to the wall. The alarm clock was flashing 6:07 and could not be reset (even after unplugging it and plugging it back in). In the bathroom there was a window in the shower that would not completely shut. The bathroom was extremely outdated. My husband and I both had a sick feeling in our stomach. This was the first vacation we had taken in years and this is what we are paying $1,000 for. We decided to go to the office and ask if there was something they could do about the TV and alarm clock. They said they might be able to find another TV of the same model as they were in the process of updating their TV's but had not updated ours so they could give us a different old one. At this point we knew this was the best we could do as he had already told me they didn't have another unit they could move us too. They also told us they didn't have another clock to replace ours (mind you this was a simple clock that probably would cost less than $10 at Wal-mart). We left and headed out to find something to eat. By this time it is about 8pm. While we were waiting for a table my husband and I decided we couldn't spend a week at this place and had to find somewhere else to spend our vacation. We went back to our room to use the phone book and this time someone was parked in our parking spot AND there were no other available spots. This isn't an area you can park on the street so we actually parked in a part of their lawn. After finding a couple of alternatives we went to check them out as we didn't want to end up trading one bad place for another. An hour later we had reservations at a BEAUTIFUL NEW HAMPTON INN AND SUITES at I75 and University Parkway. We went back Tropical Breeze and notified them we were not staying due to the conditions. We did not sign anything authorizing payment to our Discover. After thinking this over that evening my husband and I decided if there was a charge on our credit card we would dispute it do to "goods and services not received". We did this and explained everything and Tropical Breeze flat our LIED on their response and told Discover they had offered us other rooms. Because of this Discover denied out dispute. I am not writing this just because we had to pay for something we didn't use but also to hopefully stop you from doing the same. I had read all of the negative reviews and thought maybe those people just had higher standards that I did. I wish I would have believed them. Don't make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rhonda1969
Indiana
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Very nice. Recently updated. Staff friendly and helpful. Stayed in unit overlooking beach.
Would stay again in a heartbeat. Can walk everywhere from location.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank IndianaNita
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Very large family gathering held here and paid extra for exclusive use of Pool and common area room. The resort decided to have their own lame party and we were forced out. No apology or appropriate compensation was offered. To open the window in our room you had to go outside to open or close it. We had nothing but trouble trying to make and get our reservation straight, it took weeks. The pool is supposed to be heated and wasn't, we had to borrow room items back and forth with each other. Our entire family and everyone we know will be told of this resort to avoid.

• Stayed February 2010
5 Thank OhMyStarz
Ontario
Reviewed 27 February 2010

We had this so called RESORT booked from february 16TH to the 20TH. It was booked through expedia. We had booked a one bedroom small, that was suppose to have been renovated. After two calls to this so called RESORT and a 2400 km drive, we arrived to find the room was not a one bedroom small. They had booked us into their STANDARD room, and claimed thats the way it was booked all the way along. The RUDE girl on the desk said that it was Expedia's, problem and we would have to contact them. We asked to look at the Standard Room and what a JOKE it was. It was a FILTHY, DIRTY room, that was being used as a storage room. I would not let my dog stay there. We went back to the desk and said there was no way we were staying in that room. They did not care . After insisting on rechecking the booking, I did see that Expedia had booked the room properly. They still did not care. We talked to the property manager, that was off site and he tried to get us into one of ther other properties, but they could not get us five days. After a long ordeal we did get a refund from Expedia, and found a beautiful Condo right on the Beach. The Tropical Breeze was a big disappointment and we would not recommend this place to anybody. The young girl on the desk was rude, and did nothing to help, just keep blaming Expedia for their screw up. Please do not confuse this place with Tropical Shores. It is at the other end of the key. We have stayed there and it was a nice Resort. Expedia should rethink being associated with The Tropical Breeze Resort. We will be doing a positive review of the Resort we stayed at later. It wasThe Island House and it was GREAT.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
#6 of 12 in Siesta Key
Hyatt Siesta Key Beach Resort, A Hyatt Residence Club
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
Hibiscus Suites - Sarasota / Siesta Key

Been to Tropical Breeze Resort? Share your experiences!