“Lovely Evening”

Ophelia's on the Bay
Reserve with OpenTable
Ophelia's on the Bay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 43 Restaurants in Siesta Key
Price range: US$27 - US$39
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Stickney Point Road
Description: Ophelia's on the Bay is one of Sarasota's premier fine dining waterfront restaurants. Enjoy beautiful vistas of Little Sarasota Bay, from the floor-to-ceiling windows that line the dining room. Or join us for al fresco dining on our open-air patio, as the dolphins and manatee swim by. Winner of many awards both locally and nationally, including an Excellence rating from Zagat as well as being listed as the number one restaurant in America in Power and Motoryacht Magazine for dock and dine. Ophelia's on the Bay has also been voted most romantic, best waterfront and best restaurant with a view by its loyal customers. The menu changes nightly using fresh and seasonal ingredients, fresh fish flown in from all over the world and specialty meats. There is certainly something for every palate! We feature an extensive wine list, specialty martinis, as well as a full bar. Family owned and operated for over 27 years, we have an experienced staff that prides itself on exemplary service.
Reviewed 30 November 2013

When you ask the locals where to go, Ophelia's invariably is mentioned. We can understand why. They have good food with a beautiful atmosphere and excellent service. If you wish to see views, the best time would be approaching sunset. It is a good idea to dine outside as close to the water as possible.
The food was very good but not exceptional for the prices charged but the restaurant is absolutely worth a visit.
A special shout out to our waiter, Daniel Noirot, who made our evening fabulous.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Can't tell you what this restaurant is like as we never got past their reservation system ! phoned during their business hours on a Saturday night to make a reservation for the following day Sunday brunch.Left a message as directed on their answer phone ( no live person option offered) but they never returned call leaving us to find alternative at short notice.If they can't be bothered don't think we will either

1  Thank Pat T
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

After all the wonderful reviews, I've been looking forward to celebrating my birthday here for Sunday Brunch. I expected more than mediocre service and barely passable, poorly presented food from this restaurant. We are locals who will not be returning.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and planned to dine here. We had read mostly positive reviews and decided to make an 8pm reservation for dinner. I called ahead to be certain that I could safely eat here as I have Celiac Disease and am on a very strict gluten free diet. The hostess put me on hold to go check with the Chef. She came back to the phone and said the Chef was confident that he could modify any of the dishes to be gluten free. So we proceeded with eating there. When we arrived, it was chaotic. The hostess' were disshelved and visibly frazzled. We were told we'd need to wait despite having made a reservation. There really was no place to wait. It was tiny and crowded and we were forced to stand on top of people basically. We ordered drinks at the bar and it took quite a long time to receive the drinks. When we were called to be seated, my husband had to wait at the bar for the bartender to close out his tab and give him back his card. We were seated at a table that really only sat one person once you had plates and glasses on the table. It was in a tiny corner. Immediately we were given water and bread. We told them we preferred no bread service at our table as I have a severe allergy. We were just met with a blank stare and there the bread sat. Ugh.
The waiter took 15 min to come to our table to greet us and get us menus and see if we needed drinks. I let him know that I had called and spoke to the hostess and was assured there would be gluten free items on the menu. We went ahead and asked him about some of the dishes and he said he'd go check with the Chef. He went to do so and again, another 15 min wait before he returns to the table and informs me that I basically had ONE option off the entire menu. Plenty of seafoods and meats on menu to choose from but apparently, the Chef didn't have the skill to adapt them or just didn't care to. This is supposedly a five star, fine dining type restaurant with most dishes being over $25. And the Chef can't accomodate a food allergy?! The waiter told us the Chef said that the modifications would change the dynamics of the dish. WHAT?! I'm asking you to make something without flour basically. I'm a home cook and can do it and you're a professionally trained chef and you cannot? We informed the waiter we would NOT be eating and would be taking our business elsewhere. He said he understood. Did not offer a manager. Just let us get up and walk out. VERY disappointing. This was our wedding anniversary!
So we went out to valet to get our car. The valet asked us how our meal was and we told him the short version of what happened. He apologized. At that time, the hostess we spoke to on the phone originally came out to speak to us. She apologized and said they wanted to earn our business back and that she would be calling me to discuss what had happened. That was well over a week ago and no follow up was made. We have scratched this restaurant off our list and will not be recommending it to any friends or colleagues. What a HUGE disappointment. If you have any food allergies they are NOT trained to handle them and based upon their actions, they'd soon you just dine elsewhere. We ended up at Darwin's. They were super kind. They had a wonderful gluten free menu and they made certain that they served us food that was safe and did it all with complete professionalism. I def would rec going there.

4  Thank Daphonegirl
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This restaurant had been recommended by the owners of the property we are renting.Service was excellent and food good if a little on the pricey side.