“our fifth year”

Aloha Kai Vacation Rentals
Rhode Island
“our fifth year”
Reviewed 15 January 2008

We started going to aloha kai 5 years ago because of the private villas, the junior olympic pool, and the beach. We have stayed in a different villa every year and have been there alone, with our adult children, and with friends.
If you love the Sarasota area, Siesta Key is the place to stay. We've looked into other places besides Aloha Kai. None have a pool that compares. My husband is always in training for some upcoming swim competition, so the pool is a huge attraction to us. It is pristine and the perfect temperature.
The villas are of varying quality and that does not affect the price, which goes by bedrooms and bathrooms. However, they are all adequate. Sure, we have gone out and bought a few things (like a pot holder) for the kitchen and left them for the next person, but we don't care about that sort of thing.
This season, in the process of setting up our 2008 visit, the person I dealt with was professional, accomodating and very conscientous. I was impressed, though I have never been disatisfied in the past.
We'll keep going to Aloha Kai.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — nothing
2 Thank franscene9

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sharon, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 December 2007

My husband and I stayed in a one-bedroom villa at Aloha Kai for the first time last year. The unit was exceptionally clean and the perfect size for the two of us. We especially loved the huge swimming pool and the fact that we were so close to the spectacular beach.
We decided to return to Aloha Kai this year and were not deterred by the negative reviews about it on your site. Our experience this year (we are ending our vacation in two days) has been even better than before. One of the things we love about this establishment is the fact that the administration has and enforces the rules needed to make it a safe and quiet place. Also, despite some road construction about which management had warned us when we made our reservations, I am struck by the incredible cleanliness of everything here. All the guests have been very friendly, and I have had the good fortune of seeing some of their villas, too--all of which have been as comfortable and as clean as our own.
On our first day here, we noticed that it was impossible to get rid of the closed captions on our television set. I mentioned this fact to a manager, and she said she would buy us a new TV. That new TV arrived later that afternoon! The nicest part of the saga was the fact that the maintenance man gave the old TV to a construction worker repairing the road--the man was absolutely thrilled about his unexpected windfall, as were we.
Yes, linens and supplies are only replenished here once a week, but we have had far more towels,etc. than we have been able to use. We only expected one parking space, but when our rental car broke down, a manager gave us a guest parking pass to use for a new car while we waited for the first car to be towed away. One of Aloha Kai's maintenance men even tried to help us fix the car in need of repair!
When we had a plumbing problem, someone came to our unit moments after my husband called and resolved the problem to our satisfaction.
We fully intend to return to Aloha Kai next year. This beautiful, clean, and quiet vacation spot simply is NOT the place described in some of the negative reviews on this site. I didn't hear a single complaint from any of the cheerful and obviously satisfied visitors I met this week. Truly, Aloha Kai is a real gem.

• Liked — pool, beach, villa
  • Disliked — construction work
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank travelbugsharon1
dallas, tx
Reviewed 7 August 2007

We've been visiting Aloha Kai during the month of July for over 20 years. We have a large family and usually rent about 6 to 8 villas. Although our group includes everything from babies to grandparents, we've never stolen or damaged anything and have completely cherished our time there.

Sadly, the new management & it's policies have led us to look for a new place next year. A $300 deposit is now required on top of the rental fee that is due in full at check-in. They have 45 days to return your deposit once you check out & they seem to be using every one of those days before refunding your money. They are also now tacking on an additional $100 cleaning fee - that might be okay if the villas were REALLY cleaned, but they're not. We encountered dirty dishes, filthy carpets and floors, etc. Many of the villas need to be remodeled/repaired - Air conditioning left much to be desired in several units and a few are still sporting their original decor from when the villas were built. Also,some are very poorly stocked with cooking items in the kitchens.

Parking is also a HUGE issue. Although some units clearly have space to park two cars (many have space only for one), the management strictly enforces a one car per villa rule. Apparently a tow truck regularly drives the complex looking for violations. If there was adequate space for overflow in the front, this rule might be okay, but there are not enough spaces to accommodate 2 cars for every 2 bedroom unit. Luckily, the complex was as empty as we'd ever seen it, so we survived without too much parking drama, but if the complex were full, it would be a nightmare. There's no alternative parking nearby.

The new management leaves so much to be desired. Nobody goes on vacation to feel stressed out. It's with a heavy heart that I say stay away from Aloha Kai, there are many other places to stay on this beautiful island that won't leave you feeling harassed and unappreciated as a customer.

• Liked — the beautiful beach
  • Disliked — the staff
11 Thank sagecreek
St. Louis
Reviewed 27 July 2007

Our family just returned from a wonderful 2 week stay at Aloha Kai. We are repeat visitors to Aloha Kai and would go again in a minute. We have stayed in many of the villas and have no complaints with any of them. We had a two bedroom, two bath and we had plenty of room for a family of five. I was reading the previous review and have to totally disagree with most of the statements that were made. We follow the rules that are posted and given to us when we check in and we have never had a problem. The management has always been helpful and attentive to our requests. We did have a problem with a large group that were staying in the complex (noise at night) and the management assisted with that situation. The pool is wonderful and it is heated when we go in December and when we go again in the spring. The beach is awesome!! We have looked at many different locations on Siesta Key to stay but we continue to come back.

• Liked — the location and beach
5 Thank nanaKay
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 9 July 2007

My family has been staying at the Aloha Kai for 4th of July week for over 10 years and has never had a problem---until this year.

This past week, in total, our group rented 1 townhome, 2 villas, 4 motel rooms and 2 efficiencies (9 rooms total at minimum of $150 per night---anywhere from 2-7 nights). We were the majority of their business that week, so one would think that they would be somewhat accommodating, or at least friendly. This, in fact, was not the case.

Many of the rooms of the motel/efficiency building are poorly maintained and decor (including the bedding) hasn't been updated in at least 10 years.

They have many strict rules and policies, none of which they are willing to bend in the slightest, and rightly so, however the personal demeanor of the management leaves many, many things to be desired. In fact, we were unnecessarily reprimanded, I will venture to say harassed, by the management on a daily basis. We have never, ever been treated so poorly by any staff at any hotel/resort we have visited. Mind you, if you check my other reviews (and I only have time to review about 30% of the hotels we visit yearly) you will note that my husband and I are quite the seasoned travelers.

Our entire party of over 20 guests (all of which are repeat guests) have vowed never to patronize this establishment again, and we implore others to do the same.

Here are some examples of the issues we faced.

1. Upon check-in we arrived to a dead (and decomposed) lizard in our dining area, a family of mosquitoes in our toilet, and some strange moldy growth coming out of a picture frame. We decided to shrug this off to fact that the room looked as though it hadn't been rented in a long while. Also the carpet was so filthy that when I walked on it barefoot the bottoms of my feet were black! Isn't this what the $35 cleaning fee is supposed to cover?

2. Some children in our party were reprimanded by management on day 1 because they each were eating one small chocolate chip cookie while they sat in one of the outdoor tables by the pool. A little while later these same children were reprimanded by management because they were touching the rope that divided the pool. How were they supposed to swim across it without touching it?

3. On day 2 someone brought a radio to the pool area (no signs stating no radios, nothing on the rules list either) and were quietly playing some music while they sunbathed. The manager came out, yanked the cord out of the wall, and yelled at the top of her lungs "Who does this belong to???" to everyone in the pool. She followed by stating "If you are here to party, you can check out right now!!!" The station was set to an easy listening station, not a party station at all. At the very least she could have stated nicely that radios were not allowed rather than embarrassing the guests and making a scene.

4. The electricity in my bathroom went out every night for a minimum of 3 hours. I couldn't blow dry my hair in front of a mirror all week. The final night our electricity went out completely and we just decided to go home early. One of the guests in our party is an electrician and noticed that the entire building (6 rooms) was running only on enough electricity for 2 rooms.

5. On day 4 my father (who doesn't speak English) brought a cooler into the pool area with a glass bottle of beer, but poured the beer into a plastic cup to drink it. Management was quick to come to reprimand him. As he walked back to the room with his cooler another staff member came to say the exact same thing, and long after he was gone both the same manager and the same staff member returned to tell us once more that no glass was allowed by the pool. At this point there wasn't even a plastic cup on the table. They also made a point to talk loudly enough to embarrass us.

6. On day 5 my mother pulled her car in front of one of the villas to pack the trunk (she has a bad back and couldn't carry her bag to the visitors parking area). She was not blocking traffic and her car hadn't been there for more than 2 minutes when the manager came out with her walkie-talkie to loudly tell her staff (in front of many other guests) that she had already called a tow-truck because my mother had been warned once already (this was not at all the case since she had only been there for the day!)

7. Someone in our party asked for an extra roll of toilet paper was denied stating that 2 was the limit for all rooms (even if you are staying there one week!) My own room was only provided one bath towel and we also were denied another because they claimed that 2 had been provided! Were they accusing me of stealing worn out 10 year old towels?

8. You can only request clean sheets once, and only if you are staying for at least 7 nights. If you want clean sheets and are staying less nights your room will be billed (for what I assume is a sheet rental fee??)

I know this review is long, but I feel that the only way I can properly express my disgust in this property is to be specific. In one year this once quaint resort has turned into a nasty, dirty, unfriendly property. I left the room in the condition I received it (minus basic cleaning, which I assume the $35 cleaning fee is supposed to cover) but I am sure after reading my scathing responses to their questionnaire, and possibly this review, they will find a reason not to return our security deposits (anywhere from $125-$300!!), which I hope isn't the case because I have no desire to bring an attorney into this situation.

Please trust my review and look elsewhere in Siesta Key for a resort. The owners will soon feel the impact and hopefully new management will be hired.

• Liked — The location to the beach
  • Disliked — Everything else
18 Thank ymanes24
boston, ma
Reviewed 30 August 2006

We planned on staying with Aloha Kai on Labor Day weekend 2006. We discovered that "red tide" had taken over Crescent beach, as well as all the other Sarasota beaches. We called to find out what recourse we had, due to the fact that we would not be able to enjoy a beach vacation. The woman at Aloha Kai that deals with reservations was less than helpful. In fact, she was very very rude. Should would not reimburse even partial deposit. The only stance she would take was " not our fault the red tide is happening". There are many other nice places to stay in Siesta Key. Please try another spot.....

15 Thank kellykam
#1 of 49 in Sarasota
Siesta Key Beach Side Villas
Siesta Key Beach Side Villas
#2 of 29 in Siesta Key

Been to Aloha Kai Vacation Rentals? Share your experiences!