“Diamond in the rough”

Siesta Beach Resort & Suites
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Siesta Key
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I just got back from Florida where we stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. I was a little worried before we got there but looked at the rooms before we committed and they were good. When we looked at room 109 at check in, it was clean, there was a fridge and the bathroom was renovated. the room was for our friends, when we checked into our king size bed rrom, we notticed we DID NOT have a fridge and the bathroom was not a renovated one, however, it was clean and updated. The pool and hottub was clean, same with the washer/dryer. and the beach is pretty close, just a walk across a highway. Next door to the bars and restaurants. All in all it was a great time and we would stay here again. Just keep in mind, this is not a 5 star hotel, 3 at best, but a clean 3 working to being a 4....P.S. Will and ?Matt? i think was his name were extremely knowledgable about the area and gave us some good tips on things to see and do! :)

Room Tip: Choose a 2 queen bed room, kings have no fridges.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank NorthernLites69

Reviewed 20 January 2012

I have stayed here with my family 3 times during the February break. Our first time we had a great ground floor suite by the pool which we really enjoyed. The next visit, we were put in a smaller room that was backed to a restaurant, I wasn't happy with the room and location and told the owner/manager, they immediately changed and upgraded our room to another one, at no extra cost. The hotel is not the most upscale place, but I think the rates are reasonable and the house cleaning service is very efficient. Now, we make sure we stay in a more recently renovated room and near the pool on the first floor. The location is great, a very short walk to the beach and the village, which is my favorite place in Sarasota and reminds me of Key West.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite or view rooms before committing. Call ask ask for a quiet area room and more rece...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I made this reservation for my sister and I for two rooms. Although the pictures on the internet
look like the inside of the rooms would be nicer then the outside appearance, I didnt see that.
We saw 4 different rooms and all of them were really horrible. These rooms are in desperate need of upgrades and paint and bedding etc. The outside pool and hot tub were nice, but you cant sleep in the pool, hehe. Seriously, it was bad. The location is great, but if you like
clean and nice hotel, I would skip it and rent a condo or house in town.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelor146
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We were pleasantly surprised at the location when we arrived. It is on the corner of Beach and Ocean - right at the heart of the activity. Up Ocean Boulevard is a plethora of restaurants, nightlife and souvenir shopping. Just across Beach Boulevard is the fantastic Siesta Key beach. The guy in the office was so nice and welcoming that it calmed our concerns about the place. On the downside, the rooms were pretty dingy as many of the reviews here mentioned. We were only staying 2 nights, so it was pretty average or just a speck below as a place to sleep and shower. The pool area was nice and the kids enjoyed swimming. We did experience an issue with someone from a neighboring room, but that was not the fault of the hotel. Overall, don't expect a clean, new hotel, but if you can get past that you should really enjoy the location.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank FatEddieCS
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Horrible experience at this hotel! We checked in in the evening and stayed for 4 hours. At approximately 1 am a cockroach appeared and crawled across the floor while I was in the bathroom. My fiance responded to my screams and squashed it. A little while latter another cockroach appeared. I saw his anteneas wiggiling around from a hole in the doorframe leading into the bathroom. The cockroach then stuck his head out but went back into his "room" when he saw me. Needless to we decided to leave. This hotel does not have any staff on property from 11 pm- 7am. If they had staff available I would have gladly showed them the cockroachs. In retrospect I should have taken photographs but I wasn't thinking I would need to "prove" that there were bugs in our room. I called the number on the door of the lobby and told the person what was going on. He assured me that everything would be fine and that the manager would contact me. I did not hear from the manager and when I called to follow I was told that they would not refund my money!!!
REALLY I had to pay for 4 hours in cockroach room?!! HORRIBLE experience!!
This is the first time I have posted a review online but I felt very strobgly that I should so any prospective vacationers can be aware!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank May C
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I had the misfortune of staying here for a quick trip to Siesta Key. The room was extremely musty and had a foul smell. It was completely run-down and the furniture was totally shabby and worn out. The best way to describe it is to imagine a beach hotel room designed in 1984 and then imagine that it has not been updated or fixed up since then. The floor tiles were loose and wobbly. The bathroom sink had terrible stains and rust. They had put in new showers but it was done very poorly. There was extra caulk coming out of all the corners and edges, which had collected a lot of dust and dirt. The curtain rod had been installed wrong so the shower curtain came more than halfway into the shower. It was "clean" in that the counter was wiped down and there were clean (but very cheap and rough) sheets. I did not feel comfortable walking barefoot in the room. The only good thing to say about this place is that the location is perfect. It's literally across the street from the beautiful beach and it's a very short walk to fun local bars, restaurants and shops. As far as amenities go we never went to the pool or jacuzzi area because there were always loud and seemingly drunk people hanging out night and day. Needless to say we will not be going back. My husband likes a deal but next time we'll pay more to get a decent room at a place that's been more well taken care of even if it's a little further from the beach.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank TylerAnne78
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This was our 2nd stay in Siesta Key having previously stayed at Ringling suites nearby on Beach Road. Loved Siesta Beach Resort on arrival, so close to the wonderful beach. Believe me when you come from cold Scotland to such a brilliant climate there is little to complain about! e.g. previous reviews re sheets, towels, dated decor and furniture. We just laughed at the state of the cooker (stove) hood, bedroom window, a few holes in the bedspread and iron burn on the carpet in our room #211 'cos we could sit outside on the verandah and enjoy just being in Florida!
Ocean Blvd has lots of great places to eat, it's no longer cheap for us Brits but still brilliant value plus lovely service. We especially recommend The Lobster Pot (my husband's favourite), Blu Smoke Island Grill, Daiquiri Deck Raw Bar and of course The Broken Egg.
Sadly our stay was over all too soon and only wish we could go more often. We will definitely be back and would probably stay here but hopefully it may have had a lick of paint by then.
P.S. Staff we found were all lovely.

Room Tip: The block we stayed in across from reception by the pool is the nicer area we think.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
#7 of 12 in Siesta Key
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
Siesta Key Palms Hotel
#1 of 50 in Sarasota

Been to Siesta Beach Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!