“Norman Rockwell Would Have Loved This Little Slice of a Hometown Inn”
Review of Old Colorado Inn

Old Colorado Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Stuart
Reviewed 18 April 2014

When you have traveled for over 40 years for business and pleasure you've probably stayed at some of he best and worst hotels along the way. Last weekend I was in Stuart FL for both, business and pleasure. A good friend who spends as many nights a year as I do away from home told me about The Old Colorado Inn. I was in town to be in a play at the historic Lyric Theater. The theater is just one of the jewels that this tree lined walkable downtown can brag about. There's wonderful restaurants and cafés, boutiques, art shoppes and galleries and a waterfront boardwalk. The Old Colorado Inn is a unique varity of old Florida themed rooms that are spotless, well appointed comfortable suites and cottages that is on the edge of downtown. The beds, pillows and linens were some of the most comfortable I've experienced in any boutique hotel. The innkeeper, Steven, a recovering attorney, I believe, was someone who knows the value of paying attention to details. Even after we cheeked out and returned home he made a courtesy call to us to ask how my wife was, (she has a bout of vertigo), the day we were checking out. Thank you Steve and the staff at The Old Colorado Inn for one of the best stays we've had in a long time!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Greg R

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I took a long weekend for his birthday and decided to go to Stuart since we had never been. The Old Colorado Inn is in the heart of downtown Stuart. The owner was there when we arrived and told us a little about the history of the hotel. He also had some lemonade waiting for us when we arrived. We received a bottle of Merlot to celebrate my hubby's birthday as well. We stayed in Room 7 which was very clean and comfortable. There were also a plate of brownies waiting for us in our room, they were delicious I realy need the recipe! They also brought bagels and juice to your room for breakfast every morning! I cannot say enough good things about the inn. Our stay was wonderful and we will definetely be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

So glad we found Old Colorado Inn. We needed a hotel for one night and thankfully the original option had no vacancies. After reading the positive reviews we knew we couldn't go wrong. My only regret is not being able to stay more than one night! It was our first visit to the Stuart area and this is the perfect location. Charming area with lots of dining and shopping options. Our room exceeded our expectations and was very comfortable. The morning bagels and OJ hit the spot as we unfortunately had an early departure. I am already looking forward to our next visit to Stuart and stay at Old Colorado Inn.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed here for one night and it was perfect for my dog and me on our way to Key West.
Steven was a welcoming host and the Cottage was a perfect peaceful getaway from a chain hotel. Go local, spend local.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 11 April 2014

A true gem of a place to stay with old world Florida charm from the friendly reception and brownies to the comfortable rooms and quaint area of Stuart Florida. Don't miss this one if your staying in the area! Words to describe would be Clean, comfortable and charming....

Room Tip: rooms away from street are a bit quieter, however no bad rooms here!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2014

If you are visiting the Stuart area and don't care if you are right at the beach, this hotel is a great choice. It is located right next to the main shopping street, with plenty of cafes and restaurants within a 5 minute walk. I liked being in the center of things and not having to get in the car to drive to a restaurant. The hotel has a lot of charm, and has been beautifully restored. I especially liked the second floor deck area, which was above a small bar/restaurant where music played during the day and until about 10pm at night. It was a nice place to enjoy your morning coffee, read a book, or have a cocktail in the evening. There is some street noise, to be expected due to its central location. There is free wifi in the rooms, I wished that it extended out to the deck on the second floor.

The owner/manager is not onsite but gave us his cellphone and was very responsive if we needed anything. I loved the fresh bagels and OJ that were delivered to the door each morning. That said, there were several small cafes in walking distance where you could get a full breakfast if you get bored of bagels, or fresh gourmet coffee if the Keurig doesn't cut it for you! We were in room 9, which had a mini kitchen, that would be fine for frying up a few eggs or cooking up some oatmeal, but if you plan on doing more involved cooking I would try to get one of the units with a full kitchen.

Places we tried and would recommend in the local area: The Blue Door cafe/wine bar which has a cute outdoor patio area, the Gafford an upscale casual bar/restaurant with excellent food and service. Not so much for the food, but for the ambiance, I liked the Sailor's Return which is located in a picturesque spot at the marina and has live music nightly.

For activities, you can walk to the Stuart history museum, housed in an old feed store, which gives a good overview of how the town was developed and contains a varied assortment of objects from the old store as well as items donated by local residents. A short drive away, I'd recommend visiting Hutchinson Island, and especially the Gilberts Bar House of Refuge, a historic site which was used for the rescue and care of shipwreck victims, and nearby the Bathtub Beach offers calm waters for swimming protected by an offshore reef.

Overall we we were extremely happy with our stay at the Old Colorado Inn and it met our needs as a couple. I would probably not recommend it so much for a family with children, due to the lack of a pool or other amenities for small children.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rocknroll52
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Spent three days in THE COTTAGE and loved every miniature of it. Really enjoyed the private patio and breakfast on the door knob.happy Hour at the Tiki Bar was fun. Staff was kind courteous and helpful. All in all, a great weekend. Making plans to return.

Room Tip: Choose The Cottage, you will love it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stuart
Hampton Inn & Suites Stuart-North
#4 of 11 in Stuart
Quality Inn Stuart
Quality Inn Stuart
#8 of 11 in Stuart

Been to Old Colorado Inn? Share your experiences!