“Not Honest”

Add it.
Royal Palms Motel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Stuart
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Yes, this guy is something else. The manager probably is the owner. The room wasn't too bad. It's dated, but looked as though it had been cleaned. I felt like he was always hanging around, trying to see if I was doing anything wrong. But whatever. I guess in a place like this, he has to be out there keeping the undesirables in check.

My problem with him is that he tried to cheat me out of my deposit, stating that there was a stain on the bed cover. The first thing I did when I arrived was to roll up the comforter and remove it from the bed - I can't count on that being clean!

I insisted he show me the stain. He took me out behind the property to a clothesline where a comforter was hanging. (Mine was already out there? Hmmm.) He looked around the used, floral comforter a bit and to find a mark about the size of a dime. He said that was it was mine, and he would be keeping my deposit. Really?

To make a long story short, I insisted he return my deposit, accusing him of being dishonest. After heated discussion, he slammed my money on the counter and started calling me names. He continued as he followed me to my car! I have to admit, as a woman, I was feeling very uncomfortable. He's a nut.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Collette R
royalpalmsmotel, Front Office Manager at Royal Palms Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Our motel has no problems with "Undesirables", as we are careful about customer behavior and always address any problems/issues immediately and prevent them from affecting other customers.
The deposit at issue here is a very nominal $20.00! We use it to insure key return at check-out and to help pay for cleaning issues some customers leave us with when they check-out. There were numerous "Heavy Stains" on the sheets and linens along with the comforter upon this customer's check-out, thus the "Attempt" at keeping her deposit to pay for the additional cleaning required or replacement of said items.
We are sorry she felt that she was treated badly as it was she who was being very rude and abusive to the Manager during this discussion. We did return her $20.00 deposit to her which wouldn't have nearly covered our extra cleaning expenses at any rate.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

I was searching for a hotel to stay at and found this one that could get me in, i attempted to pay with my card but they said they prefer cash, i paid 115 for dollars cash for thw room. Not even seeing the room i left for 45me mins tp gather my stuff to bring back to the hotel. I opend the door to the room and was appalled ar what i saw! There were cracks in the wall, stains on the carpet nasty shower and the room had an awful smell. I was not paying 115 dollars to stay in a place that appalling. I when to the office and asked for a refund, the man at the desk was very nasty to me so i asked for the managers number. I got a random number that the man at the desk wrote down. I called it and it and it sounded like the exact same man i had justme spoke to inside. I proceeded to tell the so called manager on the phone my complaints and all he had to say was NO REFUNDS. So they i asked if i could have the phone number to contact the owner. The so called "manager" on the other end of the phone HUNG UP THE PHONE ON ME, and would not give me the contact information of the owner. They made me pay in cash so i would have no way of canceling this transaction. These people are CONARTIST STAY AWAY. I HAD TO PAY 115 TO STAND IN THE DOOR WAY OF THAT ROOM! NEVER STAY HERE!

• Stayed: March 2012
9  Thank illfla
royalpalmsmotel, Manager at Royal Palms Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

This customer is a 19 year old woman with a guest. The customer had a possession of the room for more than 2 hours, during which no complaints about the room were made. If the customer had expressed a problem with the room at check-in, then we would have either addressed the problem, moved her to a different room or given her a refund. Upon check-in, customer had used the room, went to the beach and returned before the refund was requested. She was told at check-in that no extra persons were allowed in the room. Management assumes this was the reason for her wanting to leave since she was not allowed to have "PARTY" in the room with additional persons.

At check-in, she was given a choice of paying with cash or credit card. Paying in cash was her choice. She paid $90.00 (Incl. taxes)plus $25.00 refundable deposit. She had signed and received the deposit back at check-out. Her problems with the room only arose after her desire to find a reason to check-out and get the money refunded. The room had been fine until that time. If the room was in the condition that she claims then why did more than 2 hours pass before these complaints were made?

Reviewed 13 March 2012

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank rih22anna
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I recently stayed one night at this motel from hell and I would never go back there again. I called the day of arrival to verify room rates and to see if they had a pool and I was told it was 59 to 69 dollars a night and they did have a pool. When I got to the motel, I walked in and got my room and was trying to think optimistically because honestly the outside was not nice looking at all. We checked into our room and the pillows were paper thin, the bed had burn holes all over the sheets and the comforter. I tried to ignore that and decided I wanted to go swimming and try to relax. When I went to the pool, the gate was locked and I went to office and asked if the clerk could open it and his response was "Well I rather not have anybody swim in the pool because I have to clean it tomorrow and I don't want it to get any dirtier." At this point I was very confused because I was never told we wouldn't be able to use the pool, that was one of the reasons I wanted to stay there. The clerk ended up opening the gate to the pool but he had a major attitude about it and stated that the owner told him specifically not to let anyone use the pool. What kind of crap is that? This dump charges $69.00 bucks a night and they won't even let you use the pool? I was so disappointed. Overall, the room was nasty and the two men I encountered who worked there were very rude. I would never recommend this motel to anyone, not even my worst enemy.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AliCat52
royalpalmsmotel, Manager at Royal Palms Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2011

It seems like this customer was looking for resort-style amenities at a budget price.
Customer lives locally so I am sure she is familiar with the area and the outside look of the motel, which is much more inviting than most budget motels. That is probably one of the reason she decided to stay with us.
This customer had a pet. The room price she has mentioned here includes Pet charges. I do remember the phone conversation before she checked-in. She asked some unusual questions with a rude attitude which I answered in a professional manner.
As per regulations, our pool area stays locked for safety reasons. We gladly unlock the gate upon request from the guests. They did use the pool during their stay. Pets are not allowed on the pool deck or pool area. This rule is clearly posted but was ignored. She had her pet on the pool deck while using the pool. We didnot mention this transgression on her part.
As for linens in the room-there was a small superficial half inch hole in the bedspread. We noticed and corrected it on the same day. We do provide additional pillows to our guests upon request. For our part, we try to provide the best professional service as per the budget motel standard. This is our goal as well and as a proof of this, we have many repeat customers.

Reviewed 7 March 2010

This place was very very disgusting!!!!! It looked like a shack or some hole in the wall type of place..and they charged $70.00 a night ...Also the pillows were paper thin!!!! I highly would never recommend this motel to anyone!!! We were so ready to leave!!! The worst hotel we've ever been to by far!!!!! We would call this place Royal Rip Off!!!!!! Yuck!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank unknown026
royalpalmsmotel, Manager at Royal Palms Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2010

I would appreciate if this customer can provide their name and the date of their stay so we can check on our side. So far as we know, we do not have any rooms that looks like a "hole in a wall" kind of appearence.

Please make a note that this a economy motel that provides clean, friendly service at reasonable rates. Due to this reason, we have numerous repeating customers locally as well as from out of states and Canada.

Reviewed 20 June 2008

I made a reservation to stay at this Motel a month before arriving. I had very specific needs (I have 3 small children). We really needed a room that has 2 sleeping areas seperated by at least 1 door.

I contacted the Owner/Manager directly by phone and was told he had a "Suite" and that it had 2 seperate bedrooms with doors on either side of a living room area.

I made the reservation i early April 2008 for May 7, 2008. I gave the Owner my Debit card number to reserve the room.

We arrived at 4 pm on May 7th and were quite suprised at the location and condition of the property. It looked very run down and nothing like the pictures I had seen on the internet. It was also quite close to a noisy street.

Suspicious I asked to see the room before paying or filling out any registration paper work or giving any payment. The Owner gave me a key and we went to the room to see it before paying.

It was a single room with 2 queen sized beds. The only door in the room was to the bathroom. Not even a couch. We are a family of 5 and to stay in this room would require 3 kids (2 teens and a elementary age child) to sleep in 1 bed ....or someone on the floor.

The room smelled of smoke. The carpet was filthy and it generally looked like the last renovation was in the early 70's.

I then returned to the desk and advised the Owner that the room was not the room we had been promised and was also very dirty and unacceptable.

The owner stated he would not change us to another room. Period. I told him we would have to leave then and just search the area for another hotel.

Here is the part you really need to know. The owner then told me that he would charge me 280.00 (two hundred and eighty US dollars) if we stayed OR if we left. Keep in mind we had not even checked in........but he had my debit card number from the phone reservation.

I would like to stress that I was in no way nasty or rude to the gentleman....even after he told me he would be charging me. I felt confident my bank would remove the fraudulent charge and was not worried. We left after being there for less than 15 min and quickly found a close big name hotel chain.

True to his word the manager/owner charged my card the full amount plus tax that very evening. True to my word I called my bank and the fraud department removed and refunded my money.

One month later I saw a suspicious 300.00 charge on my account. It was the Royal Palms Motel again attempting to make me pay for the night I never stayed there.

Unfortunately for me this time my banks fraud department said the owner had "challenged" my dispute of the charge. Chase bank further told me that in such a situation the buisness wins and the charge would be final. I had no further recourse with my bank.

I have to date made complaints with the following:
-Local Chamber of Commerse
-Better Business Bureau
-Florida Attorney Dept of Consumer Affairs
-Stuart Police Department (with a report written)

All complaints are open and active at this time. The Better Business Bureau advised me very directly that the owner was "very difficult....and would not be cooperating"

Regardless I am still out the 300.00. I have stayed in Hotels and Motels all over the world and have never had this happen. Even the worst Motel I ever stayed in happily refunded my money (and that after actually sleeping there.

I live in the area now. Please feel free to contact me for pictures of the Motel or copies of the above complaints/reports (with my personal info redacted of course)

Happy Travels
Benjamin Bender

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
17  Thank camperben
royalpalmsmotel, Manager at Royal Palms Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2010

This customer had tried to provide untruthful information through their credit card company as well. Their misrepresentation conflicts at two different levels on their side.

Due to their untruthful information and after knowing the facts, their credit card company also refused to issue any refund to this customer. We have written documents to prove their misrepresentation. Most important thing is, we are in the business to provide clean, friendly service. We are not here to put fradulent charges on customer's credit cards. Due to our friendly service only, we have so many repeated customers from all over U.S. and Canada.

Reviewed 5 July 2007

We arrived at the Royal Palms back on Dec. 9, 2006 around 8:30 PM, just as there was a space shuttle launch a little over 150 miles to the North. The clerk was SO friendly and he had it on TV and we didn't even know about it so he quickly took us into the parking lot and pointed out where we could see the shuttle, which we did. This was just a hint of the week to come. The staff there was like a bunch of old friends. They couldn't do enough for you. The motel itself is a throwback to the old motorcourts that used to dot the American landscape. Very rustic with mostly free standing bungalows. Room was not the Hilton or the like, but we enjoyed it very much. The rooms were clean and a great value. I would definately stay there again. In fact, I'm going back down there in a couple of weeks and we plan on staying there again. If I had to point out any negatives, it would be the bath towels were really oversized hand towels, very thin and small. If you're idea of roughing it is not having room service 24/7 then this is not for you. However, if you are looking for a nice, clean and FRIENDLY place to stay with a great value for your dollar, then I would highly recommend The Royal Palms Motel.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

We appreciate your compliments.

Please note that due to the size of Towel racks in the rooms, we are restricted to use thinner towels. We do provide larger towels upon request. Please feel free to ask us during your next visit.

Thank you again and hope to see you soon.