“Wonderful and relaxing!”
Review of Sugarloaf Lodge

Sugarloaf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sugarloaf Key
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Stayed at the Sugarloaf Lodge one night as we headed back to the airport. Older property but very clean. Great Tiki bar full of locals who kept us laughing all night! There is something to be said when a place is full of locals! The mattresses are in need of replacement but will stay here again. Right on the water.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank goalsarefun

Reviewed 12 July 2011

The location of this hotel is great! Very close to key west. The water at the hotel doesn't look like much but if you get your goggles and jump in it is the best snorkeling in the key's!!! Lots of things to see in the water. The staff was HORRIBLE!! I felt like I was NOT WANTED felt like a burden when checking in and out!! I never even got a HELLO from the bar tender. I would recommend this place because of it's location and value but if you want service with a smile ..... stay on the air plane another 900 miles. Go to St. Thomas and stay at bolongo bay!

• Stayed: June 2011
6  Thank uhlfelder
Reviewed 26 June 2011

THE PROS are that we docked our boat right outside our room; The king bed was very comfortable; there was a small fridge in the room; we had a waterfront view.
THE CONS are that they are overpriced for not having internet in the room or a coffeemaker. If you want to use the internet, you have to go into the lobby in the office which is a long walk from the room. The restaurant was being renovated so if you wanted to eat there, we were out of luck but the cost of the rooms stayed the same even though we were inconvenienced.
Overall, I give it a good rating.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TheRiz
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My elderly parents, husband and I stayed here for 3 nights during our visit to Key West in Feb 2011. This hotel is about 20 minutes from Key West and is definitely a world away from the Duval St. zoo! The rooms were pleasant, the views lovely, the staff friendly and we met several locals at the Tiki Bar. The only issue was that the bar did not always serve meals, and there was nowhere close to go to eat. But we would definitely return!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank cmnarles
Reviewed 21 May 2011

May 21, 2011 Bruce Shafter, Cocoa Fl.
My wife and I are in our 50's and have stayed in some bad motels in the past but the Sugerloaf Lodge is not one of them. This is an older motel but a clean motel, nice new pool, sleep like a baby beds, beautful view of clear blue water from our back door.I travel weekly and stay in alot of motels and least 35 a year so I know motels and this it a nice place to take your vacation in. You are only 15 mins. from down town Key West. I will tell all my friends about this place and WE WILL BE BACK, thank you for having us.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mynell22
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Don't waste your time or money at the sugar loaf lodge. The place is filthy and is stuck in the '80s. The tiki bar is the only good thing about the place. I have photos of roaches all over the rafters on the walls,and beds. Absolutely inhumane. Checked in saw the room and checked right back out.
HORRENDiOUS!!!!

• Stayed: May 2010
9  Thank Colleenclayton
jgoodb, Owner at Sugarloaf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

I'm sorry that you had an unpleasant experience, however, those were not cockroaches. They were mangrove beetles which swarm for a few weeks around April. They come out of the mangroves and unlike roaches are attracted to the light. We do what we can with spraying around the windows and my staff is instructed to notify people when they check in. It's possible that a light was left on in your room and they came in through the ducts or under the door. They get into to my house and the houses of many people who live down here. They are harmless but a nuisance. While no bugs are acceptable, these beetles are an unfortunate inconvenience of the the tropics and the Keys in particular. They are not an infestation. Cockroaches scurry away when a light is turned on, they don't hang out on the rafters. Again my apologies.

Reviewed 26 March 2011

I chose this hotel because it got good reviews and I was looking for a quiet, good value, and clean place to stay. I liked the vintage retro feel. This hotel is still run by members of the originial family who started it back in the 60's. Alot of the same furniture, fixtures, etc are still in the room which is cool. Also nice is that all rooms overlook the water. What isn't cool is the nightly room charge as it is a frills hotel. No internet in the rooms, cell phones don't work in the room (they work outside the rooms), no coffee maker, no clock or radio, thin towels and bedspreads from the 1980's. The positives are it is very clean and the beds do sleep well, it's very quiet and if you don't want to deal with the Key West element, this is a great location. There's a nice pool and tiki bar with a sandwich menu plus they do offer free continental breakfast. I did a lot of research on this hotel and thought it would be perfect for me. I felt like it is a very overpriced hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 2 in Little Torch Key
Looe Key Reef Resort
Looe Key Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in Ramrod Key

Been to Sugarloaf Lodge? Share your experiences!