“Beware of the Double Beds”
Review of Sugarloaf Lodge

Sugarloaf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sugarloaf Key
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We booked two rooms and were told it would be two double beds in each room , well when we arrived at 8pm we found one room to have what they called a 1 3/4 bed room !! A glorified couch is not a bed in my opinion !!! When asked about the room I was told you have to make sure you ask for two double beds hmmmm my confirmation for both rooms said two double beds and I was also informed that the price was the same regardless !!
Rooms are very dated and not super clean and at $200 a night you would expect a little more , I guess being close to Key West $200 seems reasonable .
I asked for an explanation of the room deficiencies and was told that someone would email the reason for the lack of 2 double beds in the one room 3 days later no response so I guess we didnt matter had our dollars
Definitely will not be on my list to stay at next trip to the Keys !!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
jgoodb, Owner at Sugarloaf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

I am very sorry you were dissatisfied with your experience at our hotel. I wish you had brought the matter to our attention upon your arrival perhaps we could have remedied the situation. I suspect that you may have been assigned that room because it adjoins with the other room in your party. Our adjoining rooms are paired into doubles and studios. Our hotel was built in 1966 and we have strived to maintain many of the original features and decor . The studio rooms are faithful to the original design. Our 3/4 beds roll out from under the cabinet headboard and are larger than a standard twin but smaller than a standard double. Perhaps we failed to inform you that it rolled out which is why it appeared to be a couch. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations we strive to provide clean comfortable rooms with a beautiful waterfront view at a price well below our nearest competetors in Key West. I apologize that we did not respond to you by email. I am investigating why you were told that and why you were not contacted, but I assure you that we value your business and your comments. Thank you.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Horribly overpriced. Interior not changed since 1972. No beach access. No restaurant. No aaa discount. Mold in shower. How does this place stay in business? It preports to be ecologically sensitive but has all horribly inefficient appliances. One plus- free coffee!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Markkernohan
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I was here back in 1973, always wanted to come back The murals on the walls were like I remembered !! The owner and her daughter were very friendly and helpful It was quiet and peaceful , not all that hussle and bustle noise and traffic like Key West ! It's an older motel , Go back in time for a little while !! Rooms were very comfortable ,and good views !!! Will come back !!

Room Tip: Very peaceful easy feeling !!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony P
Reviewed 19 January 2014

After reading the other reviews, we booked this motel for one night as we were leaving Key West. The other reviews are correct on the view. You have your own private balcony or porch to sit and watch the sun set. But, our patio furniture was so dirty we had to use our bath towels to wash them down before we could sit outside. We did not use the pool, so cannot comment. We stayed on a Saturday evening and the Tiki Bar on the premises was a little loud. The tile in the bathroom was old and the grout was dirty. The rest of the room was clean.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Janice T
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Sugarloaf Lodge is beautifully located on Sugarloaf key about 14 miles east of Key West on US-1 (expect 20 minutes drive).

The lodge has two floors and totals around 30 guest rooms, all with amazing view of the Mexican Gulf in the NW.

Stepping into your room, it's like traveling back some 30 years in time. However, the rooms are well maintained, clean and tidy, and all equipped with A/C and refrigerator.

Guest rooms are served with free WiFi (password given at check-in). The connection does not allow you to watch any HD movies but with the shore no more than 20 feet away from your floor to ceiling windows, expect a beautiful sunset in a romantic setting. Flat screen TV with entertainment all channels. Balcony or patio depending on floor.

The two double beds served a party of four (preferably 2 adults + 2 children).

Breakfast (not included?) was served at the Tiki bar. We did not try the breakfast.

Staff was very friendly and helpful upon check-in and check-out.

Free WiFi
Free parking
Free swimming pool

Traveled with my girlfriend (mid-30s), stayed one night in a double room with two double beds.
Rate $212 inc. tax (booked same day).

This was my third visit to the Keys. I have previously stayed downtown Key West. In a normal setting, I would find rate at $212 inc. tax overpriced. Expect rate at about $150 inc. tax per night if booked in advance.

THIS HOTEL IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It will be my first choice next time I visit the Keys.

Room Tip: Ask for room on ground floor and step out to the Mexican Gulf.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

En route to Key West, friends in Islamorada recommended this gem of a place to us. We weren't disappointed. The rooms were clean, the view was nice and the price was reasonable. We stayed on the first floor and had reclining lawn chairs in front of our room along with a small patio with a couple of chairs and a table where we enjoyed our drinks in the evening overlooking the water. There were also barbecues available if that tickles your fancy, There is a tiki bar there as well if you want some company. After a couple of hours at the pool, we were just in the mood to sit outside of our room enjoying our drinks and a cigar (that we only have 1 of a year and didn't finish). The staff we encountered were very friendly and we felt at home. All of the Key residents are mindful of the environment and there are signs here and there reminding tourists of the fragility of the ecosystem. It is important that we protect the beauty of the Keys! There seemed to be lots of fish along the wall bordering the waters that we enjoyed as we took a quick walk around the property and we also came across a very large iguana. Unfortunately the restaurant that used to be on the property is now closed but, I think the tiki bar may have food? If not, there is a super little market just up the street where we picked up some amazing subs! If you want a place to stay in the Keys, this is a great little spot.

Room Tip: Stay on the main level so you can bbq or sit out by the edge of the water in the lawn chairs provide...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luvinitalways
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I think Sugarloaf Inn/Lodge is an awesome little place to stay. Really cool vibe. I especially loved the beautiful woman at the front desk. Hi Jessie :) All the staff was very friendly.The location is perfect. I got such a good sleep.
The room was very clean. The pool was clean and very well maintained.
If you are into fishing its a no brainer, excellent place to stay, with a full service dock and bait shop only a minutes walk to the right of the hotel. You can park your boat right behind your room! There are (2) really nice BBQ type smokers in the back.
Beautiful view of the gulf side, from every patio. I did'nt do the tiki bar, but it looked really cool!!
I will definatley stay there the next time I am in the lower keys!!!

Room Tip: There all Goood!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
#2 of 2 in Little Torch Key
Looe Key Reef Resort
Looe Key Reef Resort
#1 of 1 in Ramrod Key

Been to Sugarloaf Lodge? Share your experiences!