“Very Disappointed in Room”

Sun City Center Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sun City Center
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Rooms have not been updated for at least a couple of decades. Old furniture, thin mattresses & pillows, low-count cheap sheets, sloppy paint job, extremely "tacky" carpet, rusty ceiling fan (which was low for a tall person), & old-style TV all contributed to a sub-par & disappointing stay. It appears the Inn used to be a Days Inn but is no longer affiliated with this chain, although "Days Inn" wording still scrolled across the outside marquee. The outside pool which is "solar heated" appeared in OK shape & the continental breakfast was also adequate (cold cereal, juices, coffee/tea, hot waffles that you made yourself, bread for toasting, no fresh fruit). But the rooms found in the back of the building appeared to be rented to long-term or permanent lodgers & not to travelers (which may be a "safety" issue for a single person). Needless to say, I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose another motel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sun City Center Inn for your recent stay in our area.

• Maintenance was informed of the low ceiling fan and instructed to raise it.

• Management was informed that they needed to remove the Day’s Inn sign to avoid giving a false impression.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Sun City Center Inn. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Checked in at around 1:30 am for a quick nap on the way to Ft Myers. Desk clerk was very friendly and efficient. Room was clean and air conditioner worked fine. A bit dated. The beds and pillows are quite old and a bit too soft for my liking. Checked out just before 9 am and there was quite a crowd at the breakfast area. Would probably explore other options if available but ok for a quick nap.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank dhealan
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We picked this place because it was pet friendly. The lady that checked us in was nice, but right as my husband was about to lay down I saw a roach run accross his pillow. When I called the front desk they didn't deny there was an issue and said you will see them when they just sprayed (which they did earlier that day). The room was stinky with smoke and their were cobwebs behind the door. We slept in our truck and checked out immediately. Avoid at all costs. If I could have given no stars I would have.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Michelle B
suncitycenterinnfl, Webmaster at Sun City Center Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent attempt to stay at Sun City Center Inn during your recent visit to our area.

• The lady who checked you in, received our commendation for the courteous manner in which she treated you, our valued guest.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of roaches in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to any necessary extermination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again decide to stay at Sun City Center Inn . We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

The place just needs some new beds and it wouldn't be too bad.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My sister and I took our mother to see friends in Sun City Center. We were hoping to stay at the guest room in their retirement community, but it was booked so the friends reserved a room for us here. It was cheap and convenient and the staff were very friendly and nice, but the room itself was dark and dumpy and very old/dated. Cleanliness was iffy. The beds were lumpy and the pillows should have been thrown away years ago - flat little pancakes with a lump here or there. The towels were very low quality. The grounds were very unkempt. The walls were paper thin and it appears they are renting room to longer term residents (who like to sit in the courtyard and night and party). It was OK for the 2 nights we spent, but if we go again and need a hotel, we may try the Comfort Inn closer to the freeway.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
suncitycenterinnfl, Webmaster at Sun City Center Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sun City Center Inn for your recent stay in our area. I hope your mother had a wonderful time visiting with her friends.

• Staff received our commendation for the courteous, friendly way in which they treated you, our valued guests.

• Housekeeping received extra training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

• Grounds maintenance received extra training in maintaining the grounds properly. This is often the first impression possible guests get of our establishment.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Sun City Center Inn. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

I stayed here with my sisters and it really isn't clean. They had been there before so we knew to bring lysol wipes so we ended up cleaning all the surfaces ourselves. As people describe, it is very dated but we could live with that if the rooms were clean.

The bathroom is very dated with spotty water pressure and there was mold in both bathrooms. The towels were clean but threadbare.

There is a dearth of hotels in the area and rumored crime activity at another hotel. This seems to be a situation where they have a capitive guest base so they don't make much effort. As others have mentioned the front staff is very friendly.

I hope not to have to stay here again but with family in the community, I may not have an option.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank travelfan456
suncitycenterinnfl, Webmaster at Sun City Center Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sun City Center Inn for your recent stay in our area. Thank you for telling us that you found the front desk staff to be very friendly. I would have expected nothing less from them, but it is always nice to hear.

• Front desk staff was informed of the nice comment you made about them and received our commendation.

• Maintenance was informed of the spotty water pressure you experienced in the bathroom of the room assigned to you and instructed to see to its repair.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Sun City Center Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed 1 March 2011

Don't book at the Sun City Center Inn! Whatever you do, don't book here. I know the low rate will tempt you, but don't do it. You will regret it. My wife and our 14 month old planned a trip to visit my grandparents in Sun City. We looked for a cheap, nice place to stay for a few nights. I found this place, along with mixed reviews, and decided to give it a shot. Boy was that a mistake. Here is how it went down…

Checked-in late in the evening, went to our room, opened the door and was immediately overwhelmed by the smell of mildew. Gross. The bed was a single king, even though I had reserved AND confirmed reservations for two doubles. OK, easy fix. I went back to the front and the nice night clerk girl sent us to a different room. This is when it gets good. My wife bathes our son and reaches for a towel to dry him off only to find a large brown booger-like thing on said towel. Disgusting. After drying him with a different towel she reaches for a blanket which was in our room. Upon unfolding the blanket to dress our son she discovers huge nasty stains, bloody looking stains, on the towel. Sick! OK, so it is late and we decide to just crash. We wake up in the morning and decide to head down for the free breakfast. It is 9:40, which is cool because the binder in our room says that breakfast goes until 10. Well… we get down to the lobby only to find out that breakfast stops at 9:30!

So, long story short about the 2nd room... we find plywood in between the mattresses (see picture), with jagged edges sure to scare our son as he climbs up and down from the bed, dirty linens, a hair in my bed, holes in the linens, a hole in the floor, one must unplug the fridge to use the microwave and vice-versa, dirty stained carpets, etc. etc.

Next day I approach the manager. She says she is going to get us a nicer, 3RD room and will give us a few bucks off our stay. After we get the poolside room my wife and I scour the place for any glaring issues. Within 5 minutes here is what we find… (keep in mind that she and her staff are well aware that they are putting us in our 3RD room and that the maids JUST finished cleaning this one)… toilet is broken, phone is covered in sticky nasty stuff, wet dirty washcloth hanging from shower curtain rod, trash in the drawers, stain on towel.

So… I go back to the front desk only to find a sign that says "Back in 5". It takes the manager over 45 MINUTES to return from an errand. I tell her that we are leaving. Guess what she does??? She actually tries to justify some of said issues, saying "yes, I saw the tags and the things in the drawer, but I would not call that trash." OMG are you kidding me?! I was furious. Also her stocky son was standing next to her staring at me trying to intimidate me apparently. I gave him a head nod and a look suggesting that if he wanted beef with me he better be ready for it. Anyways, after all of this we finally got out of there and down the street to the Ruskin Inn (formerly Holiday Inn Express)! Stay here! They were very friendly and gave me a super rate after hearing about my fiasco at the Sun City Center Inn.

Also, a bit of info, it appears that a large, very wealthy Indian family called the Patels owns the Sun City Center Inn, in fact, they also own the Ruskin Inn where we ended up staying. I understand that the Patels have given millions to the Tampa area and have built some great medical facilities. I am guessing that the Sun City Center was turned over to some of the less than competent members of their family to manage. So far they have been doing a horrible job at running this place and I will not be surprised if if the place goes into the ground by end of year. Don't stay here!

If you want any more info I have lots more to tell so shoot me an email!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank McIlhargies
suncitycenterinnfl, Webmaster at Sun City Center Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sun City Center Inn for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is greatly appreciated. Upon the receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) The management staff received additional training regarding the courteous manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

2) Housekeeping staff received additional training as to the level of cleanliness which they, as our employees, are required to maintain.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sun City Center
Sleep Inn & Suites Riverfront - Ellenton
Red Roof Inn Ellenton
Red Roof Inn Ellenton
#4 of 4 in Ellenton

Been to Sun City Center Inn? Share your experiences!