“Great base for the shopping outlet”

Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Sunrise
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn pre-cruise because it was 'close' to the shopping outlet at Sawgrass Mills. Actually it was a ten minute drive away but then nobody walks in America. The room was comfortable, quiet and it overlooked the pool and outdoor centrum. However in really hot weather there may be an issue with the air conditioning vent over one of the beds. In March that's not a problem. The staff were great and put themselves out to help you and it's amazing what a smile will get you. Food was OK if service was a little slow at dinner. There is a large car park adequately lit. Entry into the hotel from the road can be bit hairy if you don't know where it is and Holiday Inn would be well advised to put up a direction sign a bit before the junction, so as to prepare for the turn, especially as that's the way you would come from the airport. We would definitely stay here again pre-cruise again - Beachfront Fort Lauderdale is just one big car park!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impression of our hotel with Trip Advisor! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and your shopping trip to Sawgrass Mills Mall. We are happy to have been able to be part of a great start to your cruise vacation! Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again should you return to South Florida!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Wow if the hotel is judged by its reception staff 2 thumbs up! Both Josh and James treated us on our two stays with exceptional service and professionalism. We will definitely stay there again it was great place to stay. Staff all very accommodating. Lets hope that these two are recognized. Its not often I write reviews but felt this time it is merited

Room Tip: great value for money
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff members, and it was so kind of you to take the time to recognize 2 of our team members on Trip Advisor by name! We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have a reservation with Hotwire and called this morning to request a room with 2 beds . TThe lady who said she was the manager Alison, was rude. Exclaimed that I have to pay for an upgrade. I tell her that the room for me my husband and our 2 kids. I paid extra for the extra beds already my room was booked for 4 peoples. She looked my reservation and said it was booked for one persons and treated me like a liar. No help terrible customer service. In the end I call hotwire and book another hotel, I hate to see what problem I would have if I stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Carla E
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

We appreciate your original booking through Hotwire for our hotel, but sometimes booking through similar sites is not for everyone. The terms and conditions of a room booked through these channels are clear that the actual hotel booked and/or room type are solely at the discretion of the booking site and the hotel. Choosing and requesting a specific room type is not an option when booking through these "opaque" channels. When the hotel location or room type are more important than the rate being booked, other, more traditional channels that allow for these types of requests and specific bookings should be utilized.

It is our responsibility to provide appropriate sleeping accommodations for the number of people designated on a reservation. We do not charge for additional people in a room only reservation - we would if any meals are included in the rate. It is our specific room types that have different rates. If your reservation with the website declared 4 people, and only one person was on the reservation when it was provided to us, the ownness of that error is with the website used to make your reservation.

I apologize that you feel that our staff was not accommodating to your situation, but it appears that we were clearly working within the guidelines of the method of reservation, and the rate program booked through the third party website. I am glad to hear that the website was able to accommodate you in a different location that had the room types available that you were specifically requesting, and I hope you enjoy your visit to South Florida.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was here for 4 nights with my elderly mother who is in a wheelchair. The property is good and what I expected from a Holiday Inn, but I was unprepared for how wonderful all the staff where to us. Everyone went out of their way to help us out, but in particular Allison wouldn't rest until she made sure all was in order for pool accessibility for my mom, Renee in the restaurant was amazingly kind & generous & full of great suggestions, and Kathleen at the bar guaranteed a fun close to our night. Thanks for making our first visit to Florida such a pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Christine L
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you so very much for this amazing review. Every day, our staff members work hard trying go above and beyond for our guests, and to hear back from someone who appreciated their efforts is so gratifying, and we are touched by your kind words. We will be sure to share your review with Allison, Renee and Kathleen. Thank you again for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor! We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in South Florida!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

This was my second attempt to stay at a reasonably price accommodation in Sunrise; the first was through Hotels.com which I would not do again without a personal inspection of the property. From the time I entered the door, until the time I packed up and left, the stay experience was outstanding. First its the people not the property -- the people at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites in Sawgrass make you feel welcomed and are helpful. When I arrived the first day Andrew came from behind the reception desk out to my car to personally help me carry my luggage to my room. I also did not remember my rewards number; Eboni spent several minutes with me researching my many different addresses until we located the number. When I needed additional office supplies, the front desk staff made them available. In between business meetings, I needed the use of wifi and it was free, in the lobby, even when I had checked out of the room. I came back the second day for another stay and will return again. Kudos to the staff that is always a hotel's strongest asset.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

To hear such kind words about our staff from one of our Rewards Club Member guests certainly makes our day brighter! Thank you very much for taking the time to share your story about our stafff on Trip Advisor and for naming those who went that extra mile to make your stay memorable!

Realizing how important access to wifi is to our guests, we've made upgrades to our system and continue our efforts to provide reliable service for those spending time at our property! Thank you for letting us know we're getting it right!

Once again, we appreciate your feedback and your words of praise! We look forward to seeing you again when you return to Sunrise!

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I came from Brazil to USA at least 4 times per year to do some shopping we always stayed at Marriott or Hilton even my wife was no happy about this hotel because the reviews I decided to take a chance ..we stayed at the hotel for 5 days ...first our room was no ready we had to wait 3 hours ..but here it comes that good part we met wonderful people who share their lives with us who made us feel special .james a nice receptionist even he didn't understand us he show concern about us .....I'm very thankful to Isabella a server who also was our translator ..in our wait time she took us to the restaurant first offered us appetizer food drinks .. Also housekeeping people ....Holiday inn family are very special ....we are gonna be back in a couple of months ...

Stayed: February 2014
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

We are so happy to hear that our friendly curteous staff was able to take your wait for a room and turn it into a positive experience to start your stay with us! We take great pride in having employees who genuinely care about our guests, and thank you so much for sharing your interactions with them on Trip Advisor. We look forward to seeing you when you return! Thank you again for taking the time to write a review!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The front desk staff was great - in fact, some of the friendliest I have met in any hotel anywhere. Very helpful, positive attitude.
The lobby was clean and bright. The AC was on full blast - in March - and the hotel was freezing cold but temp adjustable in room, so not that bad. The wifi worked well at first in the room but then suddenly stopped working, so had to go to the lobby to get any signal. (Might have had to do with a large group checking in, many users…).
My main issue with the hotel is cleanliness. The hotel needs some MAJOR updating. The carpet in the halls and rooms was stained and dirty. When I first got to my room, I noticed a curly long black hair on my bed near the pillow, as well as one in the tub and in the sink. I have short blond/gray hair, so mine they were not. I normally am not one to complain and I can handle the tub hair, I suppose, but the bed was a different matter - so I called the front desk and they sent someone up in 15 minutes who came with new sheets. The problem was…he didn't change the sheets! He just picked off the hair. I stepped into the bathroom for 60 seconds, came out and he was gone - not enough time to unmake and then remake a bed. Pillows on top unchanged. I was floored - especially for a place where I was commenting on their customer service and care of their clients.
Despite the friendliness, I am not sure I can stay here again….

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JeffMercedes
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. We take our guest feedback very seriously and use guest comments as we continue to make improvements and provide everyone with the accommodations and experience they expect from a Holiday Inn.
We appreciate your recognition of our staff friendliness! We take great pride in the positive attitude of our employees and make every effort to impress each of our guests, so thank you for noticing!
We are also continually making updates and improvements to the hardward and softgoods on our property, as part of our efforts to maintain Holiday Inn standards. We will be sure to have your concerns regarding our housekeeping department addressed with the department as a whole. Thank you for letting us know of your experiences, and for your valueable input. We realize your stay did not live up to your expectations, and for that we are truly sorry, but we thank you for letting us know where we went wrong so that in the future, we get it right.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunrise
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Comfort Suites Sawgrass
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft Lauderdale - Plantation
3 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale/West-Sawgrass/Tamarac
La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise Sawgrass Mills
La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise

Been to Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex? Share your experiences!