“Horrible bartending”

Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Sunrise
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Now this hotel definitely has it's good points, comfy beds, clean bathrooms, good shower. A fridge in the room would have been great considering we were in Florida, and that is not too much to ask. The food was pretty good, but the breakfast buffet for $15 which consisted of cereal, dry hash browns, scrambled eggs that looked like they were scooped from a pail.
The biggest s***show here was the bar tending. the first few nights there was a British lady there who tried her darndest but just did not really have a clue of organized bar tending. Great gal though.
The lady that replaced her was simply terrible. She knew how to bartend, she just didn't want to do it. One night my friend and I went to sit in the courtyard outside the lobby which is connected to the bar, and asked if we could get served there. She said yes. After going inside three times for drinks because the service wasn't coming, I went inside and ordered food for the both of us. She wrote the order down. Half an hour later she came outside and asked if we wanted to order food. I was floored and said what about the stuff I ordered a half hour ago. She denied that I had ordered. In disbelief I ordered again because it was too late to go anywhere else. When the food showed up the potatoes I had asked to substitute for pasta were not there but the pasta was. I gave up, paid our tab and we went to bed. This experience was utterly pathetic.
The shuttle was really good at driving you around to places within 5 miles of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fridge.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank BigRigDan
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for your detailed review about your recent stay with us. We are glad that for the most part, everything about your stay went well, and you enjoyed the services of our shuttle and breakfast in our restaurant and a comfortable guest room. We do offer rooms with a fridge, although during our busy season, those rooms are usually the first to go, they are available for our guest convenience.

We take guest feedback very seriously and appreciate you sharing your story about our bar service with us. Your comments will help us to address the issue you had with outdoor service and the bartenders and make necessary improvements. We are sorry that you had the service lapse that you did and thank you for bringing it to our attention. We hope that should your travels bring you back to Sunrise, you'll return.

Thank you again for your review!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn pre-cruise because it was 'close' to the shopping outlet at Sawgrass Mills. Actually it was a ten minute drive away but then nobody walks in America. The room was comfortable, quiet and it overlooked the pool and outdoor centrum. However in really hot weather there may be an issue with the air conditioning vent over one of the beds. In March that's not a problem. The staff were great and put themselves out to help you and it's amazing what a smile will get you. Food was OK if service was a little slow at dinner. There is a large car park adequately lit. Entry into the hotel from the road can be bit hairy if you don't know where it is and Holiday Inn would be well advised to put up a direction sign a bit before the junction, so as to prepare for the turn, especially as that's the way you would come from the airport. We would definitely stay here again pre-cruise again - Beachfront Fort Lauderdale is just one big car park!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your impression of our hotel with Trip Advisor! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and your shopping trip to Sawgrass Mills Mall. We are happy to have been able to be part of a great start to your cruise vacation! Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again should you return to South Florida!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Wow if the hotel is judged by its reception staff 2 thumbs up! Both Josh and James treated us on our two stays with exceptional service and professionalism. We will definitely stay there again it was great place to stay. Staff all very accommodating. Lets hope that these two are recognized. Its not often I write reviews but felt this time it is merited

Room Tip: great value for money
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff members, and it was so kind of you to take the time to recognize 2 of our team members on Trip Advisor by name! We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have a reservation with Hotwire and called this morning to request a room with 2 beds . TThe lady who said she was the manager Alison, was rude. Exclaimed that I have to pay for an upgrade. I tell her that the room for me my husband and our 2 kids. I paid extra for the extra beds already my room was booked for 4 peoples. She looked my reservation and said it was booked for one persons and treated me like a liar. No help terrible customer service. In the end I call hotwire and book another hotel, I hate to see what problem I would have if I stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Carla E
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

We appreciate your original booking through Hotwire for our hotel, but sometimes booking through similar sites is not for everyone. The terms and conditions of a room booked through these channels are clear that the actual hotel booked and/or room type are solely at the discretion of the booking site and the hotel. Choosing and requesting a specific room type is not an option when booking through these "opaque" channels. When the hotel location or room type are more important than the rate being booked, other, more traditional channels that allow for these types of requests and specific bookings should be utilized.

It is our responsibility to provide appropriate sleeping accommodations for the number of people designated on a reservation. We do not charge for additional people in a room only reservation - we would if any meals are included in the rate. It is our specific room types that have different rates. If your reservation with the website declared 4 people, and only one person was on the reservation when it was provided to us, the ownness of that error is with the website used to make your reservation.

I apologize that you feel that our staff was not accommodating to your situation, but it appears that we were clearly working within the guidelines of the method of reservation, and the rate program booked through the third party website. I am glad to hear that the website was able to accommodate you in a different location that had the room types available that you were specifically requesting, and I hope you enjoy your visit to South Florida.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was here for 4 nights with my elderly mother who is in a wheelchair. The property is good and what I expected from a Holiday Inn, but I was unprepared for how wonderful all the staff where to us. Everyone went out of their way to help us out, but in particular Allison wouldn't rest until she made sure all was in order for pool accessibility for my mom, Renee in the restaurant was amazingly kind & generous & full of great suggestions, and Kathleen at the bar guaranteed a fun close to our night. Thanks for making our first visit to Florida such a pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Christine L
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you so very much for this amazing review. Every day, our staff members work hard trying go above and beyond for our guests, and to hear back from someone who appreciated their efforts is so gratifying, and we are touched by your kind words. We will be sure to share your review with Allison, Renee and Kathleen. Thank you again for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor! We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in South Florida!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

This was my second attempt to stay at a reasonably price accommodation in Sunrise; the first was through Hotels.com which I would not do again without a personal inspection of the property. From the time I entered the door, until the time I packed up and left, the stay experience was outstanding. First its the people not the property -- the people at the Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites in Sawgrass make you feel welcomed and are helpful. When I arrived the first day Andrew came from behind the reception desk out to my car to personally help me carry my luggage to my room. I also did not remember my rewards number; Eboni spent several minutes with me researching my many different addresses until we located the number. When I needed additional office supplies, the front desk staff made them available. In between business meetings, I needed the use of wifi and it was free, in the lobby, even when I had checked out of the room. I came back the second day for another stay and will return again. Kudos to the staff that is always a hotel's strongest asset.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

To hear such kind words about our staff from one of our Rewards Club Member guests certainly makes our day brighter! Thank you very much for taking the time to share your story about our stafff on Trip Advisor and for naming those who went that extra mile to make your stay memorable!

Realizing how important access to wifi is to our guests, we've made upgrades to our system and continue our efforts to provide reliable service for those spending time at our property! Thank you for letting us know we're getting it right!

Once again, we appreciate your feedback and your words of praise! We look forward to seeing you again when you return to Sunrise!

Reviewed 5 April 2014

I came from Brazil to USA at least 4 times per year to do some shopping we always stayed at Marriott or Hilton even my wife was no happy about this hotel because the reviews I decided to take a chance ..we stayed at the hotel for 5 days ...first our room was no ready we had to wait 3 hours ..but here it comes that good part we met wonderful people who share their lives with us who made us feel special .james a nice receptionist even he didn't understand us he show concern about us .....I'm very thankful to Isabella a server who also was our translator ..in our wait time she took us to the restaurant first offered us appetizer food drinks .. Also housekeeping people ....Holiday inn family are very special ....we are gonna be back in a couple of months ...

Stayed: February 2014
JoeZ21, General Manager at Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

We are so happy to hear that our friendly curteous staff was able to take your wait for a room and turn it into a positive experience to start your stay with us! We take great pride in having employees who genuinely care about our guests, and thank you so much for sharing your interactions with them on Trip Advisor. We look forward to seeing you when you return! Thank you again for taking the time to write a review!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunrise
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
Comfort Suites Sawgrass
La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise Sawgrass Mills
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft Lauderdale - Plantation
La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale/West-Sawgrass/Tamarac

Been to Sawgrass Grand Hotel and Suites Sports Complex? Share your experiences!