“Small resort, great staff.”

Solara Surfside Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Surfside
GreenLeadersBronze level
Derby, Kansas
“Small resort, great staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Really enjoyed our stay here. Direct access to the beach and the staff were very friendly and helpful. It's a smaller resort but I enjoyed that. Rooms were large with full kitchens and good size patios. Chairs, umbrellas, and towels were available for guest use.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Hello peepersx2,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Solara Surfside. We are pleased that you really enjoyed your visit and the beachfront location. Your compliments regarding the staff are much appreciated as we aim to provide our guests with world class service. We do hope you will visit us again when in the Miami area.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

The first day at Solara was challenging at best. Upon check in we were informed that the pool would be closed for several hours during the day for maintenance on the roof. Immediately put a damper on me as I had planned to spend most of my days by the pool reading and relaxing. I gave the desk clerk credit card for the damage deposit. There was an hour before we could actually get into our room so we left and did some shopping. I asked specifically if we had a room with a balcony. I even requested that when reserving the room. After we returned I the lobby was full of others trying to check in the manager loudly announced that my credit card had been declined. I could feel everyone in that room turn and stare at me. I knew that was impossible so I called my bank. Upon calling the bank I was informed that a hold had been placed on my card due to someone repeatedly putting in the wrong pin number which is weird because I told the desk clerk to use as credit card and a pin would not have been necessary. She never even mentioned putting in a pin number. I was able to get it straight but at that point i was embarrassed and frustrated . Then we get to the room and have no balcony. I was beyond livid. I argued with the front desk to no avail. I was ready to pack up and find a new place.. we ended up staying and the week turned out beautifully. Not having the pool on several days was an inconvenience but I will say after the initial check in the remainder of the staff was helpful and courteous. Having the grills were great and the hammocks were oh so relaxing after a long day. Publix is near by for all the grocery needs. I would definetly stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank gbnsc
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Hello gbnsc,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay at Solara Surfside. We are sorry to hear of any issues you experienced at check-in and for the inconvenience of the pool closure but are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We thank you for the four-star review but would like to know more details about your check-in experience. Please email us at info@bluegreenvacations.com so that we may look into this further. Thank you and we hope to you see again when you visit the Miami area.
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

As frequent patrons of hotel chains belonging to the "Choice" group, but very infrequent visitors to Florida from the upper Midwest, we were very happy to discover that we could book this excellent family-oriented resort hotel through Choice's "Ascend collection" --even using accumulated Choice Privilege points to stay for three days. We were very pleased with our three day stay there even though we experienced rain every day. We had a room on the third floor with a balcony (by request: the Choice booking site promised it but it had to get verified at the hotel), from which we could see the ocean off to the side--and walk easily through the nice patio/pool area and beach gathering area with grills and tables and onto the very nice public beach. The pool and jacuzzi are nice, there's a game room (and kids' and other activities we didn't use or need), and the rooms themselves provided everything we needed and more: well-equipped kitchenette (so we cooked most of our own meals), well-decorated, attractive living-dining room, lovely large master bedroom, bath and hall within the unit -- spacious and lovely. We also appreciated the free laundry facilities and comparative nearness to grocery shopping and other urban services.

The staff was friendly and helpful, especially, we found, the parking attendants, as valet parking costs $12/day (plus a daily tip we gave whichever of the two brought the car)--no street or other parking options that we could see. But we thought that price for guests (cheaper for timeshare owners) a good deal compared to other hotels along the Surfside/South Beach area, as we discovered when we went to another (even more) upscale resort to use the spa services. At the Surfside, we felt very much the exception as Choice (Ascend Collection) patrons rather than as timeshare owners or potential owners, who all seemed to be staying a full week. At the start of our visit, the concierge did address us as potential timeshare buyers (invitation to a sales presentation, offers of free expeditions or coupons in return, etc.), but the overtures desisted when we showed no interest. In my experience with other such timeshare hotel bookings, however, in San Francisco and Hawaii, once the resort has sufficient patronage by timeshare members, the opportunity to book a good (and actually guaranteed) one bedroom or studio unit for a few nights becomes very limited or impossible. Thus our advice: if you'd like a few nights' affordable "apartment" stay in a really nicely appointed and run Miami beach resort, the Solara Surfside offers an excellent choice-- at least for the time being!

Room Tip: We had to ask for a room with a balcony--Choice.com bookings don't get those automatically even...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank college_prof_11
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Hello college_prof_11,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at Solara Surfside. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay despite the rain. We appreciate your compliments regarding the resort accommodations, amenities, and staff. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to the Miami area.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

We original wanted to book a one bedroom here for a couple of nights but when we called back all they had left was ocean view 2 bed so we took it. The weather was not good when we arrived and as we arrived a couple of hours early we left our luggage with the concierge who told us it would be ready at 4pm. so we went out for something to eat and then came back to explore the hotel.The valet takes your car as soon as you arrive and parks it for you. Solara Surfside is on the beach so we took a walk,although it was cloudy,it was very warm and the ocean was warm too.There were barbecues on the way to the beach for the use of the guests and a nice pool and indoor and outdoor games to keep everyone busy...movies can be rented at reception with a very good choice too. When we got back the room wasn't ready and as we had had a long day we weren't too happy about waiting,but it was only about 15 mins.The room they gave us was on the top floor corner,and it was spotlessly clean with all you would need...and more.The view from the front was of the city and the back was the ocean from a pretty large balcony.Each bedroom had a flatscreen tv and a sound system that could take an iphone or ipod and there is free wi fi...really we couldent ask for more,and it more than made up for the delay in check in......next day we went out early and on our return we found a big basket of goodies with a personalised card waiting for us to apologise about the check in delay,and they also allowed us a late checkout AND 2 free movies.....All the staff here know how to treat their guests,they are so professional and friendly and never forget your name,nothing is a problem for them,and our whole experience there was way above what we expected,right down to the smallest detail.
Problems are fixed immediately,and the impossible is just a little longer!! lol we will definitely be back for a week next time!!!

Room Tip: Best rooms are the corner ones... ocean view looking to the back,city view to the front...the higher...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Belgravia P
Peekskill, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

Everything is perfect about this hotel from the concierge to the daily events. I love the fact that I get to spend a week here ! The rooms are gorgeous and you're right by the beach ! Conveniently there's a Publix nearby for all your grocery shopping needs as well

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Shayy_Truex3
Milan, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Our stay was from 5/18/13 to 5/25/2013. We are new Blue Green owners. I can not say enough about how great ths property & staff are. From check in with Junior to valet parking with Fredy to concierge with Joseph our experience was above & beyond our expectations. We stayed in a 1BR condo with side view. The view was spectacular even from the side. The condo was VERY spacious with 2 full bathrooms. The ocean was gorgeous...the waves were perfect and the water soooo clear. It looked just like the Caribbean. While the property was quiet, EACH & EVERY EMPLOYEE we encountered was very helpful & polite. The hospitality we were shown was paramount! The rooms were very clean. DVD & flat screen TV with DVD rental available in lobby. W/D located on odd floors were convenient-kitchen was perfect. Beach service was nice with complimentary chairs & cushions-umbrellas available for $10 a day rental. Pool & hot tub also very nice! Very beautiful clean picnic/grill area on property on way to beach-very beautiful lush well manicured landscape.The property is directly on beach with a very short easy walk to beach. We did go out for supper a couple nights -there is no onsight retaurant but there are several local restaurants that deliver (Moncheese has excellent pizza/wing/service) our concierge gave us several options which was very nice & relaxing. Very safe area in Miami! Highly recommend! I hope all of my Blue Green experiences are like this but they have big shoes to fill! My husband, my teenage daughter & myself would choose this property again without a second thought!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank julieatrip
Rockford, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful week. We are Bluegreen owners and had never stayed at this resort. Loved the resort and our room. The grounds were nice, pool, hot tub, and there was an area that you could barbecue and play volleyball. Staff was friendly. Parking Valet Hillardio was excellent. I would recommend to anyone. Right on the beach. We had a wonderful view from our balcony. Nice walking path along the beach. Walked every morning. Close to Miami, Fort, Lauderdale, and Everglades. Town is quaint. See the Turtle Statues before 1/1/14 on each corner. Flanigans bar/resturant is very close and has excellent food and drink specials.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room. Ours was on the 6th floor side view. The only balcony rooms that actually...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barb E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Beach Surfside
Sun Harbour Boutique Hotel
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside West
The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
Sea View Hotel
Sea View Hotel
#3 of 5 in Bal Harbour

Been to Solara Surfside Resort? Share your experiences!