“A Great Place for a Holiday!”

Solara Surfside Resort
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Surfside
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Spending a week at this resort was quite a lovely experience! The staff members are extremely courteous and there is always a concierge more than willing to help you out with anything from finding dinner reservations to booking tickets to an event or tour. Parking is done by way of valet, and Bluegreen owners will receive a discounted daily rate.

The room was quite clean and cozy, it looks as if it must have been recently renovated. Sometimes it can get a little damp, but one would expect that being right on the ocean. The beach is right outside, and a heated pool and hot tub are available if desired. A beach volley ball court and giant chess set are available outside. A small, yet adequate, fitness room is located on the ground floor.

There are some fun shops and restaurants within walking distance, but you will likely need your car or a taxi if you'd like to spend the day at South Beach or in the downtown. Coupons for local attractions are available from the concierge. A great place to stay while in the Miami area!

Room Tip: Rooms located closer to the east side of the building will have a better balcony view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ToonFootball9
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Hello ToonFootball9,

Thank you for reviewing your week-long stay at Solara Surfside. We are delighted that you had a lovely experience at the resort. We appreciate your compliments regarding the staff and accommodations as we aim to share happiness with all of our guests and provide outstanding service. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to the Miami area.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I originally booked into a studio through timeshare exchange; a friend chose to join me for a couple days at the last minute so at check-in I asked if we could switch to a one bedroom or anything larger to have a little more space and sleep privacy. The Front Desk gave me a flat no without even looking; couldn't she at least look? I was very disappointed; I'd hoped because (as I mentioned to her) I am a Bluegreen Owner (affiliated w/Solara) she would at least make an effort to LOOK; other guests have been accommodated. Not the best start to my visit.

I did not find the front desk or concierge to be especially helpful or friendly. Parking runs $6/day for owners, $12/day for guests, valet available. all parking is underground. Soda and snack machines available, no restaurant on-site or in area, must drive to anything; shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc.

Unit was immaculate and had all new appliances, furniture and the carpeting seems new as well. The unit was well-lit and walls were sound-proof; our unit was next to the elevator, and we could not hear a sound. Unfortunately we had a unit with no view (called partial view but no view really).

Nice (small) pool and a whirlpool, the beach was wonderful, clean and quiet, great walking path in front of the beach and comfortable hammocks for lounging. Cabana boy would pull chairs and small table out for you. I used the small exercise room, unfortunately the equipment is worn, some equipment is missing pieces and the mats are dirty, the exercise room itself was clean. There are sanitary wipes, television and a water dispenser for use.

Although I was very happy with the resort's cleanliness and updates I would not stay here again because there was nothing within walking distance (as the concierge confirmed). As a solo female traveler I did not want to drive every time I wanted to shop, eat or be entertained.

I would recommend this resort to others, well-managed.

Room Tip: Wish I had asked if I had a balcony or view before I booked, partial view was no view, stayed in roo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MiaVal

Hello MiaVal,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Solara Surfside. We are delighted you enjoyed the accommodations, pool, and beach. We regret that we were not able to fulfill your request for a room move. We thank you for the recommendation and look forward to welcoming you on your next resort visit.

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Our room looked brand new. Obviously recently renovated. Carpet was spotless, new furniture. Great colors. Loved it.
Hilliard, valet guy was Fantastic! He knows his job and was great. Appreciated the bottle of cold water. He is socially gifted. And a rare gem in today's world. We tipped him accordingly and you all should too .
We will be back when we can stay longer.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank GAtravelbug51
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Hello GAtravelbug51,

Thank you for staying at Solara Surfside and sharing your experience. We are glad you loved the room and enjoyed your stay. We greatly appreciate your compliments regarding Hilliard and the happiness he shared with you. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit the Miami area.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Talk to the front desk Daylada, Conceirge Jossph, Garage attendant Hilliard, Floor Made who greats you with a smile and cheer every day, Beech chair person.

They have lots of activities and staff that are very helpful.

We got locked out of our room one night and the front desk person and his helper were very persistant and helpful in assisting us.

I cant say enough about the service & hospitality and how clean the building & unit are kept.

It felt like home

Thank You!

Room Tip: we stayed in the middle of the building but it still had an ocean view. most rooms face other build...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Charlene S

Hello Charlene S,

We are delighted you had a great stay at Solara Surfside. It is our goal to share happiness with all of our owners and guests. Your compliments regarding the staff let us know that we are succeeding in providing outstanading service. We are glad you found the resort and unit clean and well-kept. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Hubby and I had 2 nights here after being in the Keys and before we flew out of MIA. We had stayed here a few years back so knew what to expect and that it was a little off the beaten track. We hadn't seen anything of Miami last time apart from South Beach and the malls so I was keen to get some advice from the concierge. Utterly useless. The guy seemed disinterested after his initial patter of 'let me know how I can help you blah blah blah', suggested we could do a day trip to Key West ( having just been told we had come from the Keys) or the Everglades when we had made it clear we had just one full day and we wanted to see the city. In the end, the pizza takeaway place we stumbled across that night had someone who was far friendlier and was full of ideas of where we could go, even asking us what we liked to do, and he wasn't in it for a big tip as we were just grabbing the pizza to go.

Anyway, apart from that irritation (to be fair, he did print out map directions for us when we asked), our room was spacious ( it was a 2 bed double ocean view) but I don't think we would bother with the ocean view next time. We were effectively at the back of the hotel with an ocean view from the side balcony but more of a view of the apartments across the lane, and if you sat on the chairs on the balcony you definitely wouldn't see the ocean. not worth it unless you get a room towards the front of the building.

The bathrooms were fine but boy are they small. The door just barely opens on to the sink and if you are standing at the sink, you have to move out of the bathroom to let your other half in if he wants the toilet or shower. The ktichen is huge and spacious and you get lots of light streaming in to the dining/TV area which is nice.

Recycling- Bluegreen go on and on about reclying, and perhaps this is more down to a city recycling policy, but I find it odd that glass is not recycled ( I was told to dump it in the main trash), nor is plastic. Just tin cans and paper/cardboard. But I'm a recyling freak!

The hotel is a bit off the beaten track but we were able to walk to Sazon, the Cuban restaurant in less than 20 minutes at a nice slow pace. The return walk was welcome as we had rather full bellies so it aided the digestion a bit!

Sat by the pool for an hour one afternoon and that was pleasant, background music at a nice volume level unlike in their Marathon resort where you can barely hear yourself think. Staff behind the main desk were nice and friendly too on check in/out.

One big negative - wifi here is dire. I mean it, utterly dire. It would kick you out after minutes and sometimes you just couldn't get a signal for hours. I've stayed in a small resort on a little island off the Vietnamese coast and we've had fantastic free wi-fi. Come on Bluegreen, time to sort out the wifi in this day and age.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank artemis1
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Hello artemis1,

Thank you for returning to Solara Surfside and sharing your experience. We are happy you had a good stay and enjoyed the spacious accommodations. We appreciate your comments regarding the staff as we aim to provide outstanding service to our owners and guests. We are sorry to hear that not every aspect of your stay met your expectations and will take your feedback to guide us to further improvements. We look forward to seeing you on your next Bluegreen resort visit.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

My family and I just returned from a week-long vacation at Solara. We tend to avoid timeshares like the plague but this was a gift from a friend. We were pleasantly surprised! No sales pushes, no pressure. Simply a wonderful stay. The staff were all very attentive; from the concierge, to the front desk, to the valet, to the young man who helped my son with the video games and shuffleboard lessons. Each and every staff member went out or their way to ensure our comfort.
Rooms were well equipped and clean. The complementary laundry meant that we only had to make one trip to the store in order to make ourselves at home.
My only complaint would be the very uncomfortable pull-out bed. If you are expecting to sleep four in a one bedroom unit don't expect the fold-out to get you through the week. We opted to sleep on the couch and chair after only one night.
Restaurants and a grocery store are withing walking distance (less than one mile) but not right outside the door.
We really were pleasantly surprised and would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with more than two adults opt for a two bedroom. The pull-out couch just doesn...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kshawn
BluegreenCares, Manager at Solara Surfside Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Hello kshawn,

We are delighted that we were able to provide your family with a wonderful stay at Solara Surfside. It is our goal to share happiness with all guests and provide outstanding accommodations and service. Your compliments regarding the staff and the rooms let us know that we are succeeding in providing a great experience. We thank you for your feedback and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the Miami area.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Really nice and in a quiet and relaxing environment!
Large rooms - perhaps little outdated - but anyhow - they are off cores more like apartments! Better equipped kitchen than you think and so on!
But I would stay there again - definitely,
Really nice pool area, great gym, activities if you want! And just a few minutes to what you almost could call your own beach!
Super service minded staff!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms don't have balcony! So if necessary - don't forget to make a request for...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tony I

Hello Tony I,

Thank you for staying with us at Solara Surfside and sharing your feedback. We are happy you found the resort relaxing and enjoyed the pool area and other onsite amenities. We appreciate your compliments regarding the staff as we seek to share happiness with all of our guests and provide outstanding accommodations and service. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to the Miami area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfside
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside
Residence Inn by Marriott Miami Beach Surfside
Grand Beach Hotel Surfside West
Sun Harbour Boutique Hotel
The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
Four Seasons Hotel at The Surf Club, Surfside, Florida

Been to Solara Surfside Resort? Share your experiences!