“You Have to Be Kidding?!?!?”

Salt Creek Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Suwannee
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Kensington, Maryland
“You Have to Be Kidding?!?!?”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Prior reviews - you HAVE to be kidding?!?!

We drove forever to the end of the earth to get to this place. Thank goodness the car didn't break down, otherwise you're stuck on the edge of the road and the theme from Deliverance will start playing. Regardless, we go there. Looks promising ... nice people, warm welcome, great setting.

We order drinks - so far so good - big pour. No alcohol in these drinks, but that's okay - we're miles from civilization and have to drive back, so we're okay with margarita mix and a non-intentional virgin sea breeze, We order the sample platters because we want a little bit of everything. So, the food arrives ...

The mullet - so many bones, you can't eat it.
The grouper - beyond fishy tasting. Wherever you got this fish, throw it back!
The scallops - at first we mistook them for fried eraser heads. We have never seen scallops this small. Not inedible, however, so onward we press ...
The oysters - we're afriad to eat them. Odd color, very rubbery - March has an "r" but we decide to pass after two leaps of faith.
The crab fingers - fried, which we suppose masked the taste - clearly this restaurant does a better job with fried, than it does with grilled. In fact, the crab fingers make us suspect that the cooks took their fried fish, scraped off the breaded coatings, and then put some grill marks on the fish to make us think that we were getting a grilled plate.
The shrimp - small, but semi-edible at least. Not that bad. But certainly not worth driving a half a day through no-sign-of-live-ville.

Bottom line - at best, as Red Lobster restaurant with a sunset. And before you get too excited about the sunset, beware that the restaurant faces North, not West. So, you get the side-set, not the full Monty sun set.

Again, nice people - they try hard to please - but if I wanted Red Lobster, I would have gone to Long John Silver's. We imagine that our experience would be different if we both weighed 400 pounds and wanted th early-bird special for blue hairs, fully fried. But we wanted fresh Florida fish, grilled. That, we did not get. Which leaves us wondering - where did the other reviewers go? Perhaps to Sarah's down the street, by mistake? Let's call it like it is - Red John Silver Lobster's with a view of the inlet - no more, no less.

• Visited March 2013
6 Thank Otis2002ti
SaltCreekSuwannee, Owner at Salt Creek Restaurant, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Ottis from Maryland,
I am sincerely sorry you had a bad experience at Salt Creek Restaurant. I have never in my 35 years in the business had a more dissatisfied customer as you have stated. This is not to say that on occasion mistakes aren't made, we are all human, but I and my partner have always corrected any problem on the spot and made sure the customer was happy before leaving. I know I did not speak with you of any dissatisfaction and I will be sure to ask my partner. As you can see from others who have been so gracious to comment on Trip Advisor we have a fairly good rating. Yes, it is quite a drive, 20 miles to be exact, through 58,000 acres of Federal Lands before you see our front door but we consistently have a packed restaurant every night and the majority of our patrons eat with us several times a week. So, you can see why I am so puzzled with your dissatisfaction. Did not anyone ask you during your meal if everything was OK? If not, I would like to know who waited on you. You made a comment on the sunset....as you may know, the sun does not set due west all year long and the restaurant faces NW. The sunset photo on trip advisor was taken from the restaurant deck overlooking Salt Creek the evening before Tropical Storm Debbie came ashore last year. Oh....the scallops....we serve local bay scallops, which are always small but full of flavor this said, I'm with you on scallops...I prefer deep sea scallops and when ordering anywhere in the south I ask the server what type they have. Some restaurants in Florida will have both.
I hope by writing you I have not refueled your fire but that you will understand that we or any business for that matter must know of a problem when it occur otherwise the problem may continue and we all lose. I'm not here to loose.
If you are ever so brave as to make the drive again please ask for me and I will make sure that your visit was worth the drive.

Chuck

Lake City, Florida
“Excelllent Visit!”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My boyfriend and I visited over the weekend and it was absolutley wonderful food and atmosphere! I have never wanted to write a review before but truley believe these people deserve greatest compliment indeed! Crab cakes, fried oysters, grouper, gator tail, shrimp, mullet dip we must have tried a little of everything.. WONERDFUL and worth the trip from Lake City anyday!! STAY for the weekend at Bills Fish Camp right up the road! I am a huge FAN~

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Freda K
Old Town, Florida
“Suwannees Salt Creek Restaurant Destination”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

For all the North Florida foodies that travel to Cedar Key for fresh seafood, Suwannee, Florida's Salt Creek Restaurant is the "new" place to drive in for a fantastic seafood / steak dinner! My wife and I have been so pleased with the new restaurant since the fire, and the new additions to the menu are wonderful!

You can still get a wonderful shrimp dinner that is better than anything in Ceader Key for a smaller bill, but new additions to the menu are terrific too! The new low country boil is a treat I had never known before. Fresh seafood, sausage potatoes and other goodies are boiled together in a seasoning that brings out the best, and it is served up like nothing I've ever experienced! I was so pleased! I have to admit it is hard to get me to try new things, but now I have a new favorite! My wife loves the clam chowder and key lime pie!

Service is comparable to any retaurant that offers true cooked to order foods, and the wait staff seem really interested in doing well without pretense. I really appreciate that! Good food, fast service with little chatter is for me!

Finally, prices are lower than most similiar establishments, and value is there in terms of quality and quantity! You will not be disappointed! My wife and I have enjoyed the Saturday night salad bar, and the Sunday noon dinner for about $7 for an entre' and two or three home cooked vegitables / sides offered on a special Sunday menu! For me, all the other places that serve fresh seafood are done. My wife and I are going to eat at Salt Creek in Suwannee!

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank Drpastor
Gainesville, Florida
“Friends, Food and a Beautiful Marsh View”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

At the end of the road on highway 349 sits Salt Creek Restaurant. It has been rebuilt since a fire shut it down for several months this last year. The new look is less cozy than the old restaurant. This new look is brighter and livelier. The menu hasn't changed much over the years, but the point isn't the food, really. It is about hanging out with your friends after a long day on the water in Suwannee. Of you fished, bring your cleaned fish and they'll cook it to order and provide all the trimmings!

• Visited November 2012
Florida
“Restaurant Damaged by Fire”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We learned that the Salt Creek Restaurant was heavily damaged by fire last spring. The owners said they planned to re-build, but I haven't heard if they have completed it yet. Please check with the restaurant before driving there and being disappointed.

• Visited January 2012
SaltCreekSuwannee, Public Relations Manager at Salt Creek Restaurant, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
No worries! We've rebuilt and have recently opened. We also feature a new exciting menu that's got something everyone can enjoy. Everything's new except the view. But who would want to change that?