Aloft Tallahassee Downtown
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Governors Inn(Tallahassee)
  • Pool
All reviewswxyz barbliss productsrooms are modernmonroe streetsink areacivic centerlate checklocation was perfectfsu campusbed was comfortablebusiness tripnew orleanshipnoiselobbypetdesk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Ok, I admit it right up front - I am 46 years old, and I don't like the new aloft hotel chain idea after staying at my first one a few weeks ago. Check in was efficient and friendly, and as a Platinum SPG member, I got a free coffee coupon (wow!). The lobby was not traditional, but certainly seemed to cater to 20-30 year olds, and happy hour time was busy and jovial at the bar.

Beware, the hotel is adjacent to both the large, city bus station and the Greyhound bus station, with accompanying noise. Fortunately, they both ceased operating about 9:30 p.m. Hotel is right on the main street, and a few, easy walking blocks from the Capitol. Plenty of restaurants about.

The room was small, but cozy for a solo traveler. For 2 of more people, forget it. You will still see me at the Sheraton and Westin Hotels of the Starwood chain, as I think it it the best international chain. Unlikely to see me at another aloft...unless I need the SPG points.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank PAQ
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2011

Dear PAQ,

Your comments are spot on with the Aloft Brand. Our clients do range from all ages, but the music and the vibe is not for everyone. I appreciate that it is not for you, but so many love the Aloft and the new hotel concept. We are not the cookie cutter hotel and thank you for giving us a try! Don't forget about our Westin hotels, more traditional.

"The lobby was not traditional, but certainly seemed to cater to 20-30 year olds, and happy hour time was busy and jovial at the bar."

Thanks PAQ! Happy Travels....

Patsy Pagan
Aloft Tallahassee Downtown

Reviewed 14 March 2011

Aloft is a reflection of the new trend in "concept" hotels. The lobby is breezy and nightclub-ish. Colorful, streamlined decor. We were traveling with a boys soccer team, and they thoroughly enjoyed the pool table in the lobby and the pool. Guest rooms are creatively designed - beds comfy - techies will relish the amenities from flat-screen TVs to amply "hook ups" for all your gadgets to the cordless room phone and Moonbeam alarm clock. Bliss bath products are a big plus. Book online and you'll save considerably over booking over the phone. Rates were very reasonable. We'll stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

marybdowney,

What great news you send our hotel! We are the new surprise to Tallahassee and thank you for sharing these great comments about your hotel stay. We look forward to your return and keep passing the good word about our hotel to friends and family!

Aloft Downtown Tallahassee

Reviewed 13 March 2011

We liked our stay at aloft a lot! Very friendly staff checked us in while we were in town for a friend's wedding. Parking was easy and the pool was nice. Trendy looking lobby with club mixes of popular songs and the bar made great drinks, making it a nice place to hang out. The rooms were in a cool, European style layout. The beds were comfortable and the hotel itself was very quiet. It wasn't a totally traditional hotel, but that was a good thing. We'd definitely stay there again! Only downside is no free breakfast (just coffee), but there was free internet, which was a big plus.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tracy M

TRwheretonext,

We are the new trendy spot in Tallahassee! I love our rooms too. Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us! Come BACK SOON!

Aloft Downtown Tallahassee

Reviewed 23 January 2011

Staff - Extremely unfriendly and not helpful. The set up of the hotel is different and we were not sure where to check in...the desk is a round desk without the usual wall behind it. When we walked in it took at least a minute for someone to even realize we were there. The girl helping me did not look up once, no eye contact no smile, she just seemed absolutely miserable. When I asked for a receipt (I paid for several nights in cash) she told me the system only prints receipts in the end of the stay. I had to ask mutliple times for a receipt before she would finally print it out. This was an ongoing trend with every single person I spoke to there.

Rooms - The hotel tries to hard to be trendy.( For example the pole to hang your clothes on is from the back of the "little closet space to the front) instead of right to left. You can hang about 4 things there. Although I understand the style might be for someone else. I was on the 3rd floor with my windows facing the parking lot, pool and greyhound stop. There were only blackout shades on the window so I had to keep them closed the whole time due to everyone that could see in. Overall the room was pretty clean but it obviously had not been vaccumed in a while and they had long round decorative pillows on the bed which I'm sure are not washed often.

Amenities - Breakfast consists of 4 dollar muffins and $2.50 yoplait yogurt.

The elevators are right when you walk in so you don't walk past the front desk. I though this was odd because it seems like anypne could just walk in and go right up the stairs.

Overall it was fine but I would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2011

Dear Cat2087,

Thank you for letting us know that overall the stay was fine! I would like to sincerely apologize for your experience with us at the Aloft Hotel. The Aloft Brand is simple, savvy and I am sorry we did not fit your need. Please feel free to reach out to me, so I can help you find the right Starwood hotel for you! It will be my pleasure to get you the best rate at one of our sister hotels. I look forward to hearing from you, and thank you again for staying with us at the Aloft Hotel Downtown Tallahassee.

At your service,

Patsy Pagan
patsy.pagan@alofthotels.com

Reviewed 9 January 2011

I was ready for something new after weeks of traveling and staying at the usual suspects so I tried the Aloft after reading about this new concept in hotels. How did I hate it - let me count the ways. Things started badly when in the first room we were given something jumped on my leg (I don't know what it was). As I looked down, I noticed dead bugs in the carpet and then debris along the edges of the wall - a sure sign housekeeping is taking shortcuts when vacuuming.I was given a second room when I requested housekeeping because "housekeeping was about to go home". When you enter your room, you walk directly into the bathroom. The only closet is a bar on the wall with a short curtain to pull across the opening. The area with shower and toilet is separated only by a rolling mirror - no sound proofing door for privacy. If you use the sink, you are greeted with views of yourself from three sides ( you get the picture - I'm not quite that narcissistic.) While I stayed with my spouse, the amenities provided odd things like 3 papercups (no glasses), coffee service for one, and one bottle of complimentary water which is probably better than breakfast which consisted of unappetizing plastic wrapped muffins for sale. Yes, the coffee was complimentary, but who needs it. As I came down the elevator at 8:00AM, I was greeted by loud trance dance music. A nasty jump start to my business week. There is no seating area in the room if you have luggage (area under tv was the only flat surface). You couldn't watch tv unless you lay on the bed and then the overhead lights cast reflections on the screen. This Aloft is located directly across from a bus hub and the outside noise is a little too urban for me. They charge extra for parking in a self-parking lot which is located in the rear and not particularly convenient. The luggage carts are so cool and trendy I felt like I was at the airport struggling to load, push, and pull the cart without locking the brake. So - back to the old standards and I'll give this hotel chain to those who are so hip and cool they don't know what comfort is or when they are getting taken in by fluffy PR. Once was enough for me.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Lulu120
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2011

Dear lulu120,

I would like to apologize to you. I understand that the Aloft Hotel Brand is not the hotel for you and it also may not be for others. We are the new Twist in travel, created for a fresh energetic approach to everything in life. We are simple, with lots of energy flowing through out the hotel. I thank you for giving us a try and I do understand we do not fit for your travel needs. Starwood Hotel can fit your needs for travel. Have you tried a Westin hotel by Starwood? I am sure you will enjoy the plush full service amenities that they have to offer you. If you need assistance with future travel needs, feel free to reach out to me. Thank you again for trying the Aloft Hotel in Tallahassee Florida, we look forward to your next stay with Starwood Hotels.

Aloft Hotel Downtown Tallahassee