“Disgusting. Horrrible”

Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Austin, Texas
“Disgusting. Horrrible”
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I don't even know where to start. I am a Starwood preferred guest and I have stayed at Weston hotels all over the world. I was shocked. When I walked the first thing I noticed was the loud music. The entire down stairs area is a bar. When I got off the elevator the odor on my floor was horrible, it smelled like skunk. The room looked like it was decorated with Ikea furniture. If I hadn't driven 9 hours I would have left. There are no amenities, no bell hop. There was a charge for parking and the I was afraid that my car was going to get broken into. The hotel didn't have a restaurant. I am going to contact corporate and let them know how disgusting this hotel was.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Susans45
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
I am very sorry that our hotel did not fit your needs. The Aloft Brand comes from the W Hotel, but we are not full service. We are trendy, with music playing 24/7, open space area that includes a bar. Our rooms are simple and designed to be GREEN efficient. If I can help you with anything else, please feel free to contact me!

Patsy M. Pagan
Aloft Hotel Downtown Tallahassee
patsy.pagan@alofthotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
atlanta
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Cool "loft" style. Enjoyed a cocktail at the pool. Comfortable lounge area. Most front desk people extremely frinedly and helpful. Provided maps to local eateries.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
jc111atlanta,

Thank you JC11atlanta for the great comments about your stay with us! Come back soon!

Patsy Pagan
Aloft Hotel Downtown Tally
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We spent 3 nights at the hotel and had a wonderful experience. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to assist us; they gave us directions, recommendations for restaurants and ideas to keep the kids busy. The rooms were very comfortable and modern. The gym was open to all ages and the pool was very relaxing. Would recommend the hotel to business travelers and familes.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
benbecca,

Great comments!!!! Thank you so much. When are you coming back to Tally? If you need help with a reservation, please feel free to email me :) patsy.pagan@alofthotels.com

We are waiting for your next arrival. Travel Safe!

Patsy Pagan
Aloft Hotel Downtown Tallahassee
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We used this hotel for our Family Reunion. Hotel was clean but there was an odor in the hall way on the floor we stay on. No Breakfast ($4.00 for a muff which was not good) when you are use to staying at a Marriott style hotel you look for breakfast for the price we had to pay. I will not stay at this hotel again. We were on the 4th floor the noisy at night was horrible from the cars on the street did not get a good night sleep for 3 nights and this is good. Not a good hotel for childern at the bar their are people comming off the streets to get drinks.

• Stayed May 2011
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Although the location and actual rooms and are great, the staff was very immature and lacked the social skills needed to be Front Desk agents. I found the staff to be very aloof and could care less about the image portrayed (maybe this is the motivation SPG used in developing the “Aloft” brand? Aloft = Aloof??).
Not sure if my amenity points were added as I had to remind him of that, was presented with my keys with “here ya go” – very unprofessional.
Being hip does not equate to bad customer service or severe immaturity – enough said.
Hotel = good location, comfortable beds, “kiddie” staff in desperate need of new line of work – certainly not the hotel service industry.

Room Tip: stay at the Double Tree instead!!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I stayed here in the beginning of May for a work related event. I was very pleased with the hotel and what it offered. The rooms were very spacious and the beds were comfortable. The rooms are very modern. This hotel reminded me of one of the hotels I stayed in while in Beijing (this hotel is international). One plus I liked is the heavy room door. I've stayed at alot of hotels and noticed that the doors are thin and let noise in. Not the case here.

The hotel is in downtown and within walking distance to the State capitol (10 minute walk). A continental breakfast is offered but not included. I didn't know this and walked out with a muffin..lol.

Room Tip: Book early
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I have the opportunity to travel all over the State of Florida for business. I had researched this hotel quite a bit prior to arrival. I had noticed that there was no middle of the road. Travelers either really loved it or really disliked it. I was willing to give it a try as it appeared to be really hip and trendy.

I arrived later in the evening and had been traveling all day and was rather tired. We pulled up to the front door and looked around for the valet. After speaking with the front desk clerk, we learned there was not one. It was dark and late and my co-worker and I really didn't feel comfortable walking thru the parking garage in downtown Tallahassee. She left me with the bags at the front desk. It was also at this time we learned there was no restaurant or breakfast option within the hotel. Fortunately, we had dinner at the nearby Harry's seafood. A MUST if you have the chance and had breakfast at the Broken Egg which was also a great find. I highly recommend both.
I glanced around. The lobby area is definitely hip and trendy with great lighting and seating areas. There is a pool table and a bar along with a stock market-like ticker with the latest news near the front desk to keep you occupied as you check in.

While I was waiting for my co-worker, two other guests approached the front desk with their camera. They asked the clerk if he owned the vehicle in the parking garage that had its window left open. He replied that he hadn't. The guests responded, "Well that's good because there are huge rats crawling in and out of the window feasting on the McDonald bags that were left in the backseat of the car. Do you want to see a picture?" He looked at his co-worker and laughed. He took a look at the picture but didn't apologize or try to contact anyone else for assistance. I can only imagine what the hotel manager would have thought. They both seemed very young/immature and had obviously not been trained very well.

My co-worker returned shortly thereafter. I truly hoped that she hadn't seen the rats as I knew we were not going to be continuing our stay. Fortunately she hadn't so we headed up to our room.
The elevator and hallways had great lighting and decor. I was hopeful my room would be as well. The bathroom was great with a clear glass shower and a Kohler vessel sink, Tried and Blue spa toilletries and bottled water.

The sleeping area was reminiscent of my college dorm room. The desk had a plastic desk chair and the walls were painted concrete block. The platform bed wasn't very comfortable and the pillows weren't as soft as I like but I did enjoy the built-in lighting in the headboard. The wireless internet was included in the room rate. I was able to get online quickly and had a good internet connection. The tv was good sized and wall mounted and I did scan the channels quickly. My husband would have been pleased with it which is always a compliment.

I had a view of the pool which looked very inviting. It's too bad that I had arrived so late and had to be out so early as I think I would have enjoyed the pool and gym.

As we were driving away, my co-worker and I decided that maybe we're getting too old to be trendy?

We enjoy luxury accommodations that include valet service, a fine dining restaurant onsite, and room service.

Aloft is more like a college dormitory with an R.A. at the front desk. It probably could be fun for the right crowd but really didn't meet our needs on this trip.

2 Thank ablonde1
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 25 May 2011
Dear ablonde1,

You can be trendy; we just need to find you the correct fit. Starwood W Hotel's could be your fit. They are a full service hotel and have valet and dining you were looking for in a brand. I am sorry you did not see that we do, offer breakfast every morning! We also have great bites at the W xyz Bar in the hotel. Our flat bread ROCKS! Breakfast items, fresh made breakfast sandwiches, whole fruits, strawberry parfait, and cook to order oatmeal, and other grab and go options that are very convenient to our travelers. If you would like to contact me to share any other comments about our talent, please feel free to email or call. I love your picture of our pool you took, thanks!

At your service,