“pretty, but not so functional”

Aloft Tallahassee Downtown
Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
fl
“pretty, but not so functional”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I have stayed here twice now, and while I can say it is definitely a beautifully designed hotel, it is not very functional. The rooms are decorated "W style" meaning very modern, which means a bowl sink, that splashes up everywhere, and a darkly lit shower, with some kind of light that is behind a long rectangular piece of frosted plastic in the wall (the picture is with the light on!). That is the only light in the shower area. There is also very large glass door that clangs shut if you aren't careful. There is a two sided desk but , as you can see from the pictures, one side is usually not usable because the air from the a/c blows directly out on the person who might be using it. The lobby is beautiful and modern looking but most seating is uncomfortable..think long rectangular benches with some throw pillows.
Parking..they have a small parking lot attached to the hotel, which fills up..then a larger one down the hill (up and down stairs with your luggage) and you have to put a parking pass in your car or it will get towed! I arrived at midnight and was alone, so I told her I didn't want to walk outside, downstairs in the dark to my car and put that in, would I get towed? And she said (front desk) I don't know, we don't do the towing and we don't know when he comes. She didn't even offer to have someone like maintenance go and out put it in my car for me? If my husband was there, no problem, but really, such an easy way to show good service.
The bed was fine, the TV was fine, music plays all the time in the lobby and elevator..again think W. Oh and you are on Tennessee st. so fire engines go by all night :( maybe choose a farther location, it may be quieter.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank jornic
, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear Guest,

I just read your comments and wanted to apologize that our hotel is not the fit for you. I want to also apologize for the young lady that did not offer to assist you with the parking pass. We do have night house person that could have walked with you. I do hope you can use us again and if you would like to speak to me directly, please call 1-850-577-5900.

At your Service,

Patsy M. Pagan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Let me say first off that my family loved the music in the elevators. Lively and current. It is downtown and you will get alot of street noise is your room is on Monroe. Yes, the other reviews are correct but my son wanted to stay on the busy street. What we don't do for our children.
Well kept, stylish and it has an urban feel (even if you are in Tallahassee).
We were within walking distance so this was convenient and they allow pets at no charge.
The rooms are different - non traditional storage space. Shower was very nice - walk in and fully tiled. They are a green hotel so there are dispensers on the wall for body wash and shampoo.
Again a fun modern hotel. If you like traditional this isn't the place for you.
We had alot of noise in a room next to ours and down the hallway (one night) and I finally went down and told them. The issue was addressed and I received some points but did lose a fair amount of sleep. I should have complained sooner (trying not to be a nag).

Room Tip: Keep in mind the hotel is on a main artery and close to FSU. There is night life close by, desirabl...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Modern and Fun!

Yes we are! Thank you for sharing you comments! We are modern and fun and yes, say in rooms on call street or the odd number rooms so you do not here the urban noise on Monroe. Please come back soon.

At your service,

Patsy Pagan GM Aloft Downtown
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I am here every week for the last few months and every time it’s a different experience. The rooms are minimalistic to the point of feeling less than adequate. The service/cleanliness is questionable. The hotel feels old and worn. There isn’t much advantage of being platinum and the continental breakfast offered is very limiting and not explained anywhere. The irons here have burnt a shirt of mine.
On my last stay the housekeeping missed my room completely. When I got back I called guest services to have it cleaned and was told that they couldn’t clean it as housekeeping was gone for the day. The manager promised to have 7000 points credited to my account (which I haven't gotten yet after over 1 week). I would have appreciated it if the manager offered to move me to a different room that was clean rather than one with dustbins lying on my desk (since the carpet cleaning crew had passed through the same day).
Missed housekeeping, bad irons, dirty sheets, torn towels, soap gel on the bathroom floor covered up with a towel etc. are the summary of my experiences at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear Guest,

We have spoken in person and just wanted you to know that your points were posted on your account by Starwood. We apologize again, and I will see you this week. Thank you for coming back and giving us another try!

GM Aloft Downtown
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The hotel is centrally located for the downtown, Capitol and university. The rooms are small, but everything is well arranged. The staff is most accommadating and is very friendly and easily approachable. B.J. and Andre were on duty when we checked in and were just a delight!
We were greeted each time we arrived and left and they were very genuine in their interest in our comfort and any needs we had that would make our short stay more enjoyable. We will stay there on our return trip as well.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the side street or the back may be a little quieter than those facing Monroe St.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Bibbie371,

WOW thank you for writing about my talent members Andre and BJ. I will be sure to tell them they made it to the TripAvisor hall of fame :) Please come back soon, we wait for your return.

patsy.pagan@alofthotels.com
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We just picked up our new puppy and stopped in Tallahassee overnight. This is a loft-style hotel which is perfect for dogs. The hotel staff was really friendly. We stayed in a room overlooking the pool, which I was worried about at first with the noise, but we didn't hear a bit of noise. It is a 'green' hotel, so you will have to ask for more towels.

The TV was big and it was a nice sized room.

Room Tip: We heard from the receptionist that rooms overlooking the road are louder than the ones overlooking...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
We love DOGS too and thank you for letting everyone know that we are pet friendly!

Come back soon and bring your dog too :)

Naples, Italy
Reviewed 18 May 2012

The Aloft web page shows an awesome, modern hotel. Well it is certainly modern, but not so much "awesome."
The service was hit or miss from the time we made our reservation until we checked out two days early, a first for us. The only service desk is right in the middle of the hotel lounge, which is great if you want live music in a cool setting, but inconvenient when you need to check in and get yourself, a young child, and your luggage up to your room.
Despite confirming a reservation for three that included the Camp Aloft amenities for our seven-year-old, our daughter's bed was not ready, and there were only enough towels for two people. Speaking of Camp Aloft; the goodie bag never appeared and the "special bedding to keep the bed bugs out" were scratchy white sheets far too big for the air mattress.
The mini fridge was full of a previous guest's leftovers. The front desk acted like we were ridiculously for asking the refrigerator be wiped down. In addition, the cool soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower didn't work, the shower head was clogged, and the carpet was stained. Sure, the "loft-style' decor was cool, but it was also impractical for a family. The lights were either on or they were off, making it difficult for anyone to go to the bathroom without waking everyone. There was absolutely no place to put towels or toiletries. You quickly learn what conveniences you take for advantage when you stay here!
The last straw was the bottle of lubricant our daughter found on the floor near where we'd set up her bed.
Management wasn't available to address our complaints, but the onsite serviceman offered an upgraded room or a breakfast "on him." We politely declined, since our first room wasn't exactly clean, we couldn't see a second room making a better showing.
If my husband and I had been on a romantic getaway, some of the hotel features may have been very enjoyable. As a family, though, we much preferred the hotel we moved to for the remainder of our trip.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Janice B
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Lots of comments from you and we appreciate you taking the time to share. My team and I apologizes for not meeting your expectations. If you would like to give us another try or have further question for me, feel free to reach out to me. patsy.pagan@alofthotels.com or call 850-577-5900, my direct line.

At your service,

Tallahassee, Florida, United States
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This hotel is every persons nightmare, i stayed there and had my property stolen by and employee, the blame was passed around for so long, then i had to call corporate numerious times to even get something done, i was talked down to by the damn maintenance man!!! now they decided to pay me 100.00 for my boots that was april 26th have not gotten my boots yet.

They suck

Room Tip: dont trust them with your property
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
We do apolgoize for not finding your boots and have requested your credit, you should have it today. We apologize again and hope you can come back soon.