“Very nice and confortable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aloft Tallahassee Downtown

Aloft Tallahassee Downtown
Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
weston
“Very nice and confortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Well located with a modern touch this hotel is a good choice in Tallahassee.
Clean, free WI-fi. The air conditioning is inside the room and make some noices.
Very friendly staff, close to F.S.U.
Free parking, pool table in the lobby.

Room Tip: This hotel accept pets, be sure to ask for a pet-free room.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Westontravel,

It is great to see your postings! Thank you! Please come back soon!

At your service,

Patsy Pagan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

I was wondering why the reviews were all over the map. Let me try to break it down for you.

Allergies:
They accept pets, which is fine but it is near impossible to remove all the allergens from their rooms. The rooms smelled like that pet powder you sprinkle on at home and, although the room was visibly clean, it clearly had some issues. The rooms utilize an in room air and heat system which simply re-circulates the dust mites and dander all night long. We had to check out after 1 night because my poor husband became so sick with his allergies. This has only happened one time in our very extensive travel experience.

Concept:
Ok - I get it with the hipster thing but I didn't find the downstairs lobby useful whatsoever. While we were checking in, the nearby ping-pong game was in full force. I can't remember the last time I had like a beer pong experience check-in. Maybe if you are 25 years of age, this is considered cool. At the price you pay, I would expect a more upscale experience. Although there were activities in the downstairs lobby area, it felt more like a day care center than a business or family hotel.

Food:
I also didn't understand why they only have a grab and go for food service. AND, it's served on the very table / area they use for ping pong. It's pricey and there are not many options in the area. We took a walk to try to find something in the nearby area but you are right near the Greyhound station and it's NOT a great place to be hanging out. We decided to walk in the other direction after feeling like we might get mugged. Mind you, this is all on a Sunday morning.

Ice:
I'm an ice freak. You can get free ice for your in room beverages BUT you have to go to the lobby to ask for it. They will go and get a bag for you from the front desk area. Really? Are we in Europe? Why are we not allowed to go anywhere near an ice machine? Weird!

Parking:
I heard other guests complain about the $5.00 parking and I agree. There is ample parking and you should not be charged for this fee when you are already paying a premium to stay at a cool hotel. Oh, they do have preferred parking for your low emissions cars. No further comment to that effect.

Room:
Layout was modern but simply awkward. The door opens up into the bathroom. Although there is a sliding door which separates the vanity from the toilet / shower area, you feel as though someone might walk in on you. It's hard to entertain your family or get ready for dinner if everyone is getting to see you prep at the front door.

Although there is a cool, flat screen TV in the room where you can hook up your Netflix, you have no other choice but to sit in your bed to watch it. There is a bench directly under the TV which serves to hold luggage but not really any room to lounge or relax. There is a desk with a Euro style chair so one person can sit and work by the window.

Beds were platform beds with a soft rubber back board. Although they said it was a King, it seemed like a smaller version and there simply weren't enough pillows to prop yourself up to be more comfortable reading / lounging in bed. I found the sleeping experience reminiscent of camping on the beach - hard and lumpy.

Lighting was all florescent and reminiscent of a northern European, contemporary hotel. No closet or drawers to organize your belongings. Across from the vanity, there was a magazine holder and small cubby for hanging some coats and clothing. A wooly curtain covers this hanging space. Am I in an airplane cabin or a hotel? - it was hard to figure out.

Overall:
I had a hard time deciding what to compare this experience to. With all the pop art and design concepts, one might feel as if they are stuck in a vending machine alternate reality. Part institution and lacking on the comforts of home, this hotel will unfortunately disappoint many travelers. After one night, we checked into the Double Tree down the block and had a bigger room with a proper restaurant / lounge, secure parking and a LOWER price.

Room Tip: Away from the street as there is a lot of outside noise you will be hearing all night long.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank momaTFlorida
MomaTFlorida,

I appreciate you taking the time to speak about our hotel. I do apologize that we do not fit your needs and I am glad you enjoyed the Double Tree. They are great people.

Have fun with you future stays, wish we meet your needs!

Astoria, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

I wouldn't stay anywhere else as I am here almost every week on business with the State of Florida for the next couple of months. I am from New York City where the boutique hotel concept started so I know wherefrom I speak and have to say that with their extremely reasonable prices, this kind ambience is non-existent anywhere else in Tallahassee. I even checked-out the Duval across the street, but MEH! Yes the Aloft is trendy but if you're not into that kind of hipster vibe, stay at a Hilton Garden Inn or some other cookie-cutter chain. The front desk staff, Mary Kate and Ashley (yes, I call them the Olsens), Chirag and James are all friendly, extremely solicitous but very very discrete. How else could I have found that hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese place with all the Pho and Banh Mi only a true foodie can appreciate? Or the Thursdays only food-truck gathering with 10 trucks that has me salivating over the cupcakes at one of them just thinking about it? The bar, tended by Zac, Erika and Cheryl is truly a mixologist's showcase. Terry Daniels and Patsy Pagan, who manage the hotel, even threw me and my colleagues a welcome to Tally party, with an open bar and food, all gratis mind you. The rooms have a minimalist aesthetic which suits me just fine as I hate hate hate clutter. There might not be a bathtub but when you have a rain shower head who needs one? I also am very impressed with their go-go-green policy for which they offer extra SPG points for every night of your stay. I travel all-over the world on business a lot and this is definitely amongst my faves.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room with a pool view.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank eidaromlaj
JUST amazing! We love our loyal guest and my team is so happy to read your comments! You are an amazing guest and we love it that you stay with us every week!

See you soon!

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

Hotel is clean modern, and comfort. They also have free wi-fi which some of the higher end hotels charge for. My only complaint is that the walls are very thin and I could hear people in the room next door.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Brian,

We enjoyed having you stay with us and I really appreciate you sharing your comments with the world!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Rude, computer billing system broken. It has been 3 days since checkout and still no receipt.
Fire department showed up due to faulty fire alarm. This is a take their money and run business. What a joke.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Tomissss
Dear Tom,

We spoke and I am glad to hear you will be back to our property and you understand what happen during the check out process.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

This is an excellent hotel -- nice, clean rooms, friendly staff, close to Florida State campus and very reasonable. Would definitely recommend whether you're travelling on business or with the family.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bill S S
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear Bill S S,

Hello Bill and family! We appreciate your amazing comments about your stay with us at the Aloft! We are very close to FSU and are happy to have guest like you stay with us. I am sure we will see you soon, GO NOLES!

At your service,

patsy.pagan@alofthotels.com
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 5-6 times now and it is now my go-to hotel for when I am in Tallahassee. Great central location. It's pet friendly and they don't charge extra for that. I really like the king beds and the sheets are great. I've seen complaints on here about the linens and towels but I have never had an issue. The staff is always friendly and hospitable. Still wish they would open the bar a little earlier for their guests. I understand it draws a happy-hour crowd but it would be nice if I could get a drink before 5! Aloft is a great value version of the W. See you soon, Aloft staff!

Room Tip: Rooms on the pool side are quieter. I usually get a room on the Monroe St side and you can hear the...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at Aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Monica,

All you have to do is ask and I will make you a drink when ever requested! I apprecaite you being a loyal guest to the Aloft Hotel and want you to continue to share with your co-workers.

See you soon!