“They lie about their fish”
Review of Red Snapper Seafood and Wings - CLOSED

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Tallahassee, Florida
“They lie about their fish”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I went there on a whim because I haeard they had cheap deals on seafood because they are closer to the coast. When I asked if their Grouper was actually grouper the lady tried to dodge the question which through up a red flag. Upon receiving my food I instantly knew that it wasnt grouper at all not even catfish. It was the catfish ugly cousin Pangasium also known as Basa! This is a disgusting bottom feeding fish that comes from Asia. Its not reccomended to e eaten by pregent women because its considered one of the most polluted "edible" fish. The American catfish farmers actually had them change the name to BASA so people would not compare it to quality catfish. When I asked for a refund they didnt even try to deny it. They knew it wasnt grouper and said maybe the chef picked up the wrong kind. I cant stand a business that tries to lie to you about what your putting into your body. I hope this place goes out of business because we are all sick of restaraunt owners passing off Basa as Grouper.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Justin K

Tallahassee
“Bad management and no cooking talent”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The chicken wings were under cooked and for mild were too hot.
This is the place you eat when you are nearly broke, but it could be a great venue with some imagination. Let a real cajun chef do the menu and it will go off.\

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Razrbak2112
Tallahassee, Florida
“A nice, neat, clean little lunch spot with passable seafood. I ordered the mullet/shrimp combo and my companion had the...”
Reviewed 6 July 2009

A nice, neat, clean little lunch spot with passable seafood. I ordered the mullet/shrimp combo and my companion had the small order of garlic crabs. The shrimp were very good and the hushpuppies better than most. The fries, while frozen, were passable. I know frozen fries are easy and passable, but listen up restauranteurs - do the right thing and cut some potatoes! It could make your place memorable rather than just “OK”.

The “mullet” was not. Mullet has a very distinctive taste - suprisingly tasting like fish - and this had no taste at all. It was pollock or some similar unambitious fish I am sure. I noticed on the bill that my order had been entered as “grouper” and shrimp - their mistake - but the fish was also not grouper. Florida is filled with restaurants and restaurant suppliers pawning some N. Atlantic whitefish - like pollock - off as grouper and this was definitely the case. I am not going to blame the restaurant (yet) as they could have been duped, as well. The breading was light and fried perfectly making the fish enjoyable, if not what I ordered.

My friend, Margaret’s garlic crabs were messy, as expected, but quite delicious. Be warned: they are whole crabs in the shell and require a bit of effort and dedication to extract lunch. We will do them again, for sure!

Drink water, as the medium drinks are $1.69!!!! We didn’t notice that, and consequently our lunch was almost $25 with tip. Rather steep, but could be mitigated by carefully manipulating the menu; we will go back more prepared. Check the website listed here for the menu.

1 Thank DavidBTallahassee