No photo provided
Add it.
Circa Sushi
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to try this place after buying a Groupon deal. It is in a very convenient location. The service was quick and friendly. Both of our meals were great. The Pad Thai I ordered was very delicious and authentic- cooked the way it should be without any red sauces! The Thai tea I ordered was also very delicious. We both intend to return. We didn't try any of the sushi, as it appeared to be overpriced. However, I'd say that this place had the best Thai food I've had in Tallahassee yet.

1  Thank missm2011

Reviewed 29 December 2011

Four of us ate here on a weekday evening -- my son and his girlfriend (who were in TLH from out of town), my husband, and me. There was only one other couple eating there. Chairs and banquettes were strewn with newspapers and the tables looked dirty. We picked the cleanest-looking one, which was not saying much. My son suggested just leaving before we even got menus. We should have. The chef (owner?) came out and her clothes were also filthy looking. My husband and I ordered different Thai curry dishes, that looked identical -- a dull brown-colored, bland looking sauce that was the worst sauce I've ever had short of canned gravy. It was watery and tasteless. Worse, the sauce & chicken were both lukewarm and I stopped eating it because the temp made me wonder if it was spoiled. My husband, who has a big appetite did not finish his dish either. My son and his girlfriend ordered Japanese and were so grossed out by the looks of it (dull sushi and greasy tempura) that they each ate one bite and brought the rest home hoping it would improve with time in the fridge. It didn't.
The WORST part was that my son went to put food on his plate and found a shard of broken glass on the plate -- it would have been easy to overlook it in the dark dull lighting so we're all relieved that he spotted it. He told the server and she did not apologize or indicate that she'd try to prevent it in the future. It was somewhat horrifying to think of how bad it could have been. The server was very nice but kept flirting with some guy in the back and seemed generally clueless.
It was the worst meal I have had in a restaurant since I moved to Tallahassee in 1994 and I eat out fairly often. The good reviews of this place must come from some very provincial locals or from the owner and staff. Needless to say, we're sorry we went and will never return.

1  Thank TLH_Mermaid
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We had all cooked dishes from Circa, rice, Pad Thai, and another noodle dish and overall quality was by very good. In our rice dish we had a total of three shrimp. Sweet and sour chicken was more like a soup.

Overall the food was soso and I felt like we overpaid.

I won't dine here again.

Reviewed 1 June 2011

I really don't understand how TripAdvisor ranks restaurants. There is no way this place should be behind it's initial other restaurant location (Sushilicious) nor other places that serve Mexican or BBQ food. In short, there isn't much comparison unless you absolutely abhor sushi. The conveyor belt is neat and something we don't have in Tallahassee. Not sure why only two people have written reviews. The major drawback is that the location is terrible and that's why I assume this place hasn't made a lot of money. If either it (or preferably Sushilicious) were located downtown, I could see them at the top of the lunchtime favorite spots.

I guess the previous post is correct to a certain point in saying that Tallahassee doesn't have amazing sushi. Mr. Roboto and other places offer cheap versions on a student's budget. Osaka and Kitcho's are decent, but nothing special. There are a few other places on the east side of town. Sushilicious has great rolls and I would place Circa behind them. The rolls here are good, but the ones on the conveyor belt are standard and not much better than what you'd get at Kitcho's lunch buffet (or at least what it used to be). The nice thing is that its bad business location means it's hardly ever busy so you'll get pretty good service.

1  Thank wdoerner
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Small little place, always treat us like family. Food isn't the best but it's good and we have only had good experiences! I would recommend at least trying it if you are a Tallahassee resident. If you are only in Tallahassee for a short visit I would skip sushi all together because there really isn't a GREAT sushi place.