“Fast Food Dining at Restaurant Pricing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Wharf Express
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“Fast Food Dining at Restaurant Pricing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

Decided to stop in for the $13.00 seafood platter of mullet, oysters, shrimp and crab cakes. Upon walking the place was almost empty on a Saturday around 4pm. There was a large sign & stand, with menus, that instructs you to; take a menu, order at the counter and be seated at a table. At first glance on the menu you see your usual offering of fried seafood expected at an express or take out establishment. I found out that you can also order it blackened so my interest was peaked and decided to order. Selected the Blackened Mullet, Shrimp, Crab Cake and Oysters. Yeah...that should have been our clue to perhaps go elsewhere, LOL! Sat down at the tables with rolls of brown paper towels and napkin rolled plastic forks.

When the food arrived it was on a plastic sectioned plate. My husband and daughter ordered the fried version and everything looked like your standard fried fast food seafood but not greasy. The crab cake was expectedly small but "ball-ish." They liked the cheese grits side but didn't care for the fries. The mullet was about 3 times the size of a sardine and full of tiny bones. With mullet being so inexpensive, really expected a little bigger on a cheap type of fish. The blackened oysters where "shell-ish" because you apparently have to have a different type of license to serve them in the shell. With that said they we still a disappointment at about the size of a lima bean.

My blackened version was too salty and I should have sent it back but, as we know, that can be asking for trouble. The shrimp was popcorn sized and over cooked. The crab cake was ok. The best was the garlic green beans I had. They were really tasty!

The server and ordering cashier was very friendly and polite and offered me the opportunity to have the cook make me something else, which I appreciated, but again I didn't want to risk it ;) If you go, stick with the fried seafood and not the blackened.

Won't go back if I the area but would be a great place for families with small children.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Travelingfamily321

“Try the snapper”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

I eat here segeral times a week. The staff is always friendly and now even know my order when I come in to dine. Get a side greek salad as a starter which is always bright and fresh. Usually go for the snapper, they have had it on special and its always fresh and fried to perfection.

Tallahassee, Florida, United States
“Amazing -”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

This place is FANTASTIC! Everything from the service to the food is superb! Owner is so friendly and if you have an issue ... he goes out of his way, and his whole staff is like that to make it right! I forgot my coupon so I didn't get my 20% off so he gave a free soup! The variety of the menue is what I really like about this place, every week there are different experiences. I have meet friends from Madison, Tallahasse, Tampa and Miami and brought them there and they have become HOOKED like me! Joey and his staff is the best, the atmoshphere is great and the quality, price and taste is the best I have had in town!

I will be back!

Tallahassee Michigander - Louise

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“great seafood at a great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

first time visiting the wharf, will def be back again.a blend of great food, atmosphere, and people will have you enjoying the wharf.

• Visited May 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
“Fast Food at Upscale Pricing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

My wife and I got this restaurant as a recommendation and so we looked it up and got the address. I guess it's not really their fault that Appalachee Parkway is so difficult to find things on but they must be able to do SOMETHING about it. So we finally find it, park, go inside.
Once inside you see the huge welcome board that tells you how it works. You grab a menu right there at the door (there were 3 and we needed 4), you choose what you want from said menu, you order at the counter like it's a McDonald's, then you sit where you like and they'll bring it out to you. Not quite the dining experience I was looking for really but hey, I'll try anything once.
So we shared a menu and chose what we wanted, got a friendly greeting from the girl at the counter and began to order. Oh, it's not mullet like the menu says, it's red snapper instead. Oh well, I'll have THAT then. I got a platter and my boys got one to share and my wife ordered the flounder. Wait, HOW MUCH was all that? $51.00??? This better be good. For $51.00 I expect to have some leftovers. So I pay on their iPad where you sign your name with your finger (I don't like this new trend) and I leave the tip blank (they'll get one if they earn it and only after my dinner is finished). So we sit down and I notice they have about 20 sets of dinnerware wrapped up on the table (weird) and I find that it's all plasticware and it's only a fork and the forks don't even match. Minor detail, oh well. So sitting there is like sitting in a fast food restaurant waiting for them to call your number and the girl at the counter is busy flirting with the guy who apparently works in the kitchen, there seems to be no manager around to kick them into gear. I watch food come out to other tables and our food comes out in due time, no blunders there. But when our food does come out they sit this little foam/plastic plate in front of me with some food on it. The fish is far too small to cost the $14.00 I paid for it and "oh, we owe you some oysters". I'm not impressed. I finished my meal in record time, even picking the bones out wasn't hard because there wasn't much to eat on this fish. I'm seriously unimpressed at this point. The kids got refills and that's about all the table service we got. I have never seen anything like this before in my life. Fast-food service at upscale pricing with skimpy portions? PLEASE.
Needless to say, I will not be back. The girl with the 'fro can keep on flirting with the little boy in the back and the kitchen can continue to underserve and overcharge the customers they may get. It wasn't busy at all and there's no wonder why. This was just sad. Whoever came up with this idea of a restaurant needs to take a big step back and rethink the experience.

• Visited May 2013