“Reviews are correct very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Wharf Express - CLOSED

Wharf Express
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Springfield, Missouri
“Reviews are correct very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

The spicy shrimp and blackened mahi mahi tasted so good. I finished and was so satisfied I was sitting waiting to pay. Then I remembered I paid up front. Usually not a fan of that however I will be back when I am in town in two weeks. Wonderful!

1 Thank john n

Charleston, South Carolina
“Ten guests for a retirement celebration is a challenge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

The Wharf Express on Appalachee seemed like a dubious choice for a retirement dinner. The building looked like it had had a previous life as a fast food joint. Two large tables were moved together, and the two wait staff worked together to take drink orders and later to serve the food. There was another large party and several twos and fours while we were there. The menu was rather limited and several choices were not available. The wait was considerable, but once the food arrived, all was well. Fish tacos were a popular choice. I ordered the shrimp boat salad. It was unusual in that the boat was made of deep green Romaine leaves. It came with a knife to cut them into bite size pieces. the shrimp were plump and fresh, and the other toppings were flavorful. The check for our two meals and teas was $25. It seemed reasonable for seafood, but some would consider it expensive considering the lack of atmosphere. The staff was stressed by serving two large groups, but rose to the occasion with good humor and wise advise.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Ed M
Tallahassee, Florida
“Surprisingly Fresh Seafood.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Despite the empty parking lot, dingy looking outside, and some poor reviews, we decided to try this place to satisfy our seafood cravings when our typical oyster spot was closed. We were not impressed, that is until we got our food. everything was fresh and expertly cooked. The oysters were fried to perfection neither runny nor dry, the shrimp were firm and delicious, the mahi-mahi was well blackened and wonderful. The sides did tend to dominate the plate, which is a little upsetting as I paid for and was expected a seafood platter with sides and got the opposite. furthermore the menu offers no great deal of diversity, so probable not great for a large party. Despite the drawbacks,tThis is likely one of the best seafood restaurants in town and I recommend you at least give it a try.

2 Thank LiveLifeAbroad
Tallahassee, Florida
“It really is all good.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I have been to this restaurant several times and tried several of their dishes. So far it is all good. I especially like the Mahi Mahi tacos and the Shrimp n Grits. The restaurant has an unique "homey" atmosphere that can't be found in the bigger chain resturants.

Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“Fast Food Dining at Restaurant Pricing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

Decided to stop in for the $13.00 seafood platter of mullet, oysters, shrimp and crab cakes. Upon walking the place was almost empty on a Saturday around 4pm. There was a large sign & stand, with menus, that instructs you to; take a menu, order at the counter and be seated at a table. At first glance on the menu you see your usual offering of fried seafood expected at an express or take out establishment. I found out that you can also order it blackened so my interest was peaked and decided to order. Selected the Blackened Mullet, Shrimp, Crab Cake and Oysters. Yeah...that should have been our clue to perhaps go elsewhere, LOL! Sat down at the tables with rolls of brown paper towels and napkin rolled plastic forks.

When the food arrived it was on a plastic sectioned plate. My husband and daughter ordered the fried version and everything looked like your standard fried fast food seafood but not greasy. The crab cake was expectedly small but "ball-ish." They liked the cheese grits side but didn't care for the fries. The mullet was about 3 times the size of a sardine and full of tiny bones. With mullet being so inexpensive, really expected a little bigger on a cheap type of fish. The blackened oysters where "shell-ish" because you apparently have to have a different type of license to serve them in the shell. With that said they we still a disappointment at about the size of a lima bean.

My blackened version was too salty and I should have sent it back but, as we know, that can be asking for trouble. The shrimp was popcorn sized and over cooked. The crab cake was ok. The best was the garlic green beans I had. They were really tasty!

The server and ordering cashier was very friendly and polite and offered me the opportunity to have the cook make me something else, which I appreciated, but again I didn't want to risk it ;) If you go, stick with the fried seafood and not the blackened.

Won't go back if I the area but would be a great place for families with small children.

1 Thank Travelingfamily321