“Dependable”

Ranked #2 of 801 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tallahassee, Florida
“Dependable”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I have been going here for a few years now for lunch, since her work isn't too far away. We've had a variety of their offerings and found them to be consistent and good quality.

The parking is somewhat problematic when the place is busy, since there's a sharp turn-around and people frequently shoe-horn themselves into places that aren't really for that purpose.

The restaurant itself is fairly small--there's a front desk as you walk in where you are greeted that has a "bar" that really isn't used for such, with the kitchen right behind. There's a front room with tables, with a narrow passage way that curlicues to a back room that DOES have a bar with beer on tap, along with bottled beer available. There are TVs on the wall with sports shows on every time we've been in. The help is generally pretty good and attentive. The tables and chairs are pretty generic.

The menu gives you a pretty broad selection--salads, sandwiches, burgers, burritos and pizzas. Rather than go through a detailed list, suffice it to say we've never really had a bad meal. They have a daily "special" of something they're experimenting with that's not on the menu and those are frequently worth trying. The burgers are huge and you can either go with one of their specialties or build your own. Their homemade hummus is excellent and worth the try. I've been getting their homemade chili, which is extremely good and an worthy value; it comes with shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of a very good quality sour cream.

The drinks (other than beer, which I've never had since I still have a job to go back to after lunch!) are fairly typical--iced tea (not all that great, frankly, for the price), soft drinks and water. We've taken to getting water--the waiters are good about refilling.

Service is good. Everyone is friendly and attentive, almost too much so sometimes, since they invariably come and ask how things are when my mouth is full.

Prices vary based on what you're getting--it is more than your typical fast food place for obvious reasons, but not outrageously so. It's a good value, in my opinion.

• Visited July 2014

Tallahassee, Florida
“Excellent Burgers”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

It is rare that I say something is the 'best', but the the burgers at Wells Brothers Bar and Grill are the best burgers I have ever eaten in Tallahassee.

The menu is expansive - salads, sandwiches, pizza - but the four times I have been here I always build my own burger.

The meat has always been juicy and fresh, the toppings plentiful, and the kaiser rolls they use are quality (nothing worse than lousy bread).

And the fires! The fries are perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned.Yum

Oh yeah, the staff is very nice. Friendly and attentive.

“Best hamburgers ever”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Great food, good prices. Myhusband ordered the panhandler and I ordered the gator - hater. Both were cooked as we requested. Flavor and texture are superb. Great waitress. She helped with recommendations and provided great service

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Great burgers, but get'em to go.”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

OK. I'm driving through Tallahassee and tripadvisor pops up Wells Brothers Bar and Grill. Hmmm...Best Burgers in Tallahassee for the last five years. 10th best restaurant in Tallahassee as currently rated. So I'm up for a good burger and a beer. Hit the directions button and shortly pull into the parking lot. Nice looking place. I open the door and a dour hostess looks me over and says, "We're kinda crowded here in the front. You might wanna go back to the bar or check out the patio. Okey Dokey. I wander back into the bar. It's loud. It's crowded. Funny, it's a lot more crowded than the front room.

So, I look out the back door. Nice patio. I head out there. Sit down. Have a smoke. And here comes one of the Wells Brothers. "HAY HOWYA DOIN' KINDA WET OUT HERE LEMME SEAT YOU IN THE BAR!" I'm thinking "Funny, do I look like I'm hard of hearing."

Back into the bar. One of the Wells Brothers, the same one, took my order. I would have preferred the server with the script tattoo winking from beneath her long hair as she sashayed by.

The order's there quick like a bunny. My wife says that..."Quick like a bunny." It's darned good. In fact it is among the best burgers I've had in my life.

BUT...

You ever been in a bar when two guys sitting at the opposite ends of the bar are hollering back and forth at each other showing off how funny they are? It never occurs to either of the screamers that one might take a seat by the other and drop it down a couple'a notches. Of course, they're trying to be the stars of the bar. So they don't do that.

Downed the burger and the beer. The loud Wells Brother brought the check. I paid it.

Now, here's the punchline. One of the two guys screaming across the bar was that Wells Bro that had me moving around the premises. Alright, I know I'm headed to sixty two. But I still appreciate having a good time. Sure, bars get loud. But you don't expect behavior from an owner like that. Especially appearing to be half smashed.

Good burger? You betcha. Atmosphere 0. Management: What management? Friendly hostess? Nope. Well, we've all wanted to be elsewhere, but you know what I mean.

Bottom line: Bodacious Burgers! Gettem to GO! OR, bring your shooter's plugs!

2 Thank MSullivan52
Pensacola, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great burgers”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I loved these burgers. If you go during happy hour you get 2.00 off appetizers. Casual relaxed atmosphere. Either go early or later as it fills up fast. Would definitely recommend.